The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 11-19-2008 12:43 AM

Bill Hicks Live

I'm torn between saying he left us too soon, and wondering if he would have kept being as funny had he lived.

Cyber Wolf 11-19-2008 09:46 AM

Persepolis

You guys get a Wikipedia link cuz they have IMDB blocked at work. Couldn't imagine whyyyyy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persepolis_(film)

tooshaggy 11-20-2008 07:07 PM

Last night was screener copy of Tropic Thunder......

uhhhhhhhhh.............
was that really Robert Downey????? WoW!!!!

jinx 11-20-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 505349)

Gone Baby Gone. I have never been a fan of Ben Affleck, and this was his directorial debut. His brother Casey, who I do like, stars.

I thought it was really good. The acting was incredible, especially by the crack-ho mom.

I thought so too, on both counts. Memorable. I watched that the same weekend as No Country... and couldn't decide which one I liked better.

The kids watched Hoodwinked in the car the other day and I listened in. Pretty funny..

Clodfobble 11-30-2008 12:01 PM

The Prestige - It was excellent! It reminded me a lot of Memento, with the nonlinear story providing repeated twists to the plot--the kind of thing where you watch a scene, and later realize something entirely different was actually going on there. I can't recommend it highly enough. Right now I'm trying to decide who I know that needs it for Christmas.

wolf 11-30-2008 01:19 PM

That's one of my favorite movies. After I saw it I was heartily recommending it to everyone who would listen to me, usually more than once.

glatt 11-30-2008 02:04 PM

Thanks for the tip. I just added it to our cue.

Watched "Rocket Science" last night and recommend it. It was a high school movie with a quirky feel a bit like Juno, but less Hollywood formula. About a stuttering kid who joins the debate team.

wolf 12-28-2008 01:43 AM

Journey to 10,000 B.C.
History channel documentary. Small thing, but the History Channel should darn well know how to properly use B.C. vs. A.D. tags. They don't. At least they don't on this documentary.

The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Gonzo, we hardly knew ye. Very cool.

The Golden Compass
Bad movie adaptation of a not terribly good first book in a three book series, made worse by revealing too many plot details in the opening voiceover, which was completely unnecessary. What gives with the happy ending? Almost expected sad little Roger to pipe up with "The Authority Bless us, everyone ..."

rockerreds 01-01-2009 09:31 AM

Interiors

Shawnee123 01-02-2009 11:52 AM

Yesterday I watched Transsiberian...it wasn't bad. I like Emily Mortimer, having first seen her in Lovely & Amazing.

Then started watching Thank You For Smoking, and I was loving it...laughing a lot. Then the DVD froze and even when I could get past the freeze it kept freezing until I gave up. Damn 5 dollar pre-viewed videos from Wally World.

dar512 01-05-2009 09:03 AM

My kids got me "Tremors" for Christmas. Lots of good hokey sci-fi fun.

"Yeah. See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me."

Sundae 01-05-2009 09:49 AM

I have lots just to watch.
Torchwood series 2
Blackpool (I got it Dana! Just watched the first episode so far)
And the last two episodes of the second series of Benidorm

I love Christmas DVD prizes.

Shawnee123 01-05-2009 09:57 AM

Little Miss Sunshine

Notes on a Scandal

Pooka 01-05-2009 11:18 AM

Finally watched WALL-E

Very sweet... excellent message. This is one the kids and I agree on for sure.

wolf 01-09-2009 01:21 AM

My friend's kids want me to see WALL-E ASAP.

They say WALL-E's girlfriend is a lot like me ... "Aunt wolf! Her name is Eva and she likes guns too!"

I'm watching Ice Age Columbus.