The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

classicman 11-01-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 691858)
...this event I witnessed might put him away for a long time. I don't want to be sending anyone to prison for a long time, but at the same time, he is an asshole who assaulted a woman in public in front of a bunch of kids.

How would YOU be responsible? He deserves what HIS actions dictate.

footfootfoot 11-01-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 691858)
I don't want to see anyone [go] to prison for a long time, but at the same time, he is an asshole who assaulted a woman in public in front of a bunch of kids.

Bold mine

And if he has three strikes it means he has had opportunities to deal with his anger management style. It's not as if this country opposes 12 step programs or other types of psychological help.

It's kind of like with dogs. When they get sick and need more than $75. worth of repair it is time to let them go and adopt a fresh one from a shelter.

glatt 11-01-2010 10:17 AM

Oh, you are both right. And I agree with you. I'll do it, if it comes to that, but I won't like it.

classicman 11-01-2010 10:49 AM

I know what you mean, but ... Perhaps you will like knowing that you are giving HER a chance to start a new life away from him.

footfootfoot 11-01-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 691894)
Oh, you are both right. And I agree with you. I'll do it, if it comes to that, but I won't like it.

http://www.flixster.com/actor/humpre...41%5D-10310366

footfootfoot 11-01-2010 11:23 AM

What's seriously harshing my mellow today is taking the car in for its inspection and finding out that it needs about $500 worth of work, brakes, LED brake lights, tires (luckily it's nearly time for the snows)
F.U.C.K.

Trilby 11-01-2010 11:27 AM

oh, foot, that truly does suck!

Lamplighter 11-01-2010 12:07 PM

I feel for you...

Years ago we lived in a state that had an awful (corrupt) inspection program.
The first thing the mechanic did was scrape off the old (PASSED) sticker, then proceed with the inspection.
If they found anything you either paid the same shop do the repairs, or they put on a red (FAILED) sticker.
Driving with no sticker or a red one was an invitation for a traffic stop and citation.

Oregon's system is less intense and done at state inspection sites.
If the car fails, you can then go to a mechanic of your choice for repairs.
Much less chance for hanky-panky by the inspection+repair shops

footfootfoot 11-01-2010 12:48 PM

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...oto/rl099a.jpg
$150 for a new LED light. WTF? Used are about $70. It's a bunch of LEDs FFS.

glatt 11-01-2010 01:04 PM

If you have an afternoon, doing a brake job yourself isn't all that hard. If you can build your own house, you can fix your brakes. Parts aren't all that expensive. Maybe $100 for new pads and rotors and supplies. I've seen various photo illustrated instructions all over the web.

Tools are minimal. A socket wrench set and a big c-clamp and block of wood.

HungLikeJesus 11-01-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 691912)
What's seriously harshing my mellow today is taking the car in for its inspection and finding out that it needs about $500 worth of work, brakes, LED brake lights, tires (luckily it's nearly time for the snows)
F.U.C.K.

LEDs don't usually burn out. Are you sure it's not just a fuse or loose wire?

Undertoad 11-01-2010 01:50 PM

Yeah yeah, the guts of that LED light, the high-intensity LEDs, will be fine. There's probably just a short in it somewhere I wager.

glatt 11-01-2010 01:52 PM

Yeah, it's *just* a wiring problem somewhere. That should be easy to fix. Once you find it.

footfootfoot 11-01-2010 03:41 PM

Well, I've done brakes a few times before, but right now, I really don't have the time and to try that would end up "costing" more than taking the hit. Six of one...

The LED is getting plenty of power, apparently what happens with these is a controller (probably a circuit) in the light assembly goes bad. I'm sure it is just a few molecules of solder that got some condensation on it...

Had I not driven the hell out of the car, it would still be under its 10year/100k mile warranty. But it's up at 145k now.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 691918)
I feel for you...

Years ago we lived in a state that had an awful (corrupt) inspection program.
The first thing the mechanic did was scrape off the old (PASSED) sticker, then proceed with the inspection.
If they found anything you either paid the same shop do the repairs, or they put on a red (FAILED) sticker.
Driving with no sticker or a red one was an invitation for a traffic stop and citation.

That's strange, most states using that method allow you 30 days on a failed sticker. During that time you can fix it yourself, or at the garage of your choice, then get it reinspected.