The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Yet more keen links one might want to share (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7624)

Clodfobble 01-15-2019 10:29 PM

I can never follow most of the woodworking/handyman threads, but once they finally start to look like something, I get impressed. That's a damn guitar, LJ!

I'll expect a YouTube performance with it when you're done, naturally.

xoxoxoBruce 01-25-2019 01:22 AM

An article about how scientists and psychologists have based most of knowledge of normal on a sliver of the world’s people. Certainly not representative of the variation of human customs and cultures.

Quote:

If a boy is to become a man among the Etoro people of New Guinea, he must ingest the semen of an elder member of the tribe, via ritualised fellatio. The same belief is held by the nearby Kaluli. But in their case, the ceremonies require the semen to be delivered via the initiate’s anus, not his mouth. The Etoro despise the Kaluli’s practice, finding it disgusting and unnatural.

If you were asked to sum up the nature of modern adolescence, the Kaluli and the Etoro would not be the first examples that spring to mind. But a few years ago, three researchers in Vancouver became convinced that much of what we think we know about humanity as a whole is in fact the result of studying a tribe that is just as divorced from the mainstream of human experience: the American undergraduate.

Gravdigr 01-25-2019 07:54 AM

How a Dirty Old Waffle Iron Became Nike's Holy Grail

Even if ya already know about it, it's a pretty interesting read.

Gravdigr 02-14-2019 03:32 PM

‘Jihad By Camera’: How U.S.-Trained Afghans Photographed the Soviet Invasion (32 Pics)

Flint 02-14-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1024096)
How a Dirty Old Waffle Iron Became Nike's Holy Grail

Even if ya already know about it, it's a pretty interesting read.

I half-ass knew the story, but this article was SUPER interesting. I didn't know they sold Nikes out of the trunk of a car, but it made me think of Chuck Taylor, the guy who sold Converse All Stars out of the trunk of his car.

glatt 02-14-2019 08:02 PM

Very interesting flipping through those pictures

Gravdigr 02-15-2019 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
World Leaders' Valentine's Day Cards

Sample:

Attachment 66452

BigV 02-15-2019 05:14 PM

Comments equally funny

Gravdigr 02-15-2019 07:20 PM

I didn't even read 'em that time. I usually do.

Gravdigr 02-26-2019 04:25 PM

I think I like David Thorne, and I bet Simon is a total douche.

Undertoad 02-26-2019 04:29 PM

I like David Thorne

you might remember "Missing Missy: A Shannon Production" :D

xoxoxoBruce 03-10-2019 04:03 AM

Good article from the N Y Times...

Quote:

What we need is not to disagree less, but to disagree better. And that starts when you turn away the rhetorical dope peddlers — the powerful people on your own side who are profiting from the culture of contempt. As satisfying as it can feel to hear that your foes are irredeemable, stupid and deviant, remember: When you find yourself hating something, someone is making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful. Unless a leader is actually teaching you something you didn’t know or expanding your worldview and moral outlook, you are being used.

Gravdigr 03-10-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

When you find yourself hating something, someone is making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful. Unless a leader is actually teaching you something you didn’t know or expanding your worldview and moral outlook, you are being used.
Two completely bullshit statements.

sexobon 03-10-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027904)
Quote:

What we need is not to disagree less, but to disagree better.

Of course, there's always room for improvement.

Quote:

Quote:

And that starts when you turn away the rhetorical dope peddlers — the powerful people on your own side who are profiting from the culture of contempt.

These people are hired to counter the rhetorical dope peddlers on the other side; because, the other side is not turning away from theirs. Unilaterally turning away from those on your side is how one loses parity (i.e. unilateral disarmament).

Quote:

Quote:

As satisfying as it can feel to hear that your foes are irredeemable, stupid and deviant, remember: When you find yourself hating something, someone is making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful.

So, if you hate Nazism, racism, and genocide, someone making money or winning elections or getting more famous and powerful representing your sentiments is a bad thing?

Quote:

Quote:

Unless a leader is actually teaching you something you didn’t know or expanding your worldview and moral outlook, ...

Hmmm, our leaders are elected to teach others something they didn't know or expanding their world view and moral outlook (e.g. life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness).

Quote:

Quote:

… you are being used.

That's what losers always say to winners...you're just a tool. I suppose it can be cathartic; but, it doesn't change anything.

All in all, the quoted excerpt from that article comes across as a bunch of smollett. YMMV.

Undertoad 03-10-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

...author of the forthcoming book “Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America From the Culture of Contempt”
Well I'm on board

Love your enemies - the greatest and most radical advice ever offered to the human race