The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 03-20-2010 12:41 PM

Taking of Pelham 123, the remake.

Just don't.

Watch the original. Glory in it's wondrousness as a caper movie, leave the remake in the video store.

wolf 03-20-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 641912)
I'm waiting for the 3rd and 4th disk of the first season of Twin Peaks, but I probably won't have them for tonight, maybe not even for tomorrow.

I never saw it when it was all the rage. I'm loving it!

Season One is great.

"She's dead, wrapped in plastic" hooked me and hooked me hard.

Season Two gets really weird.

DanaC 03-20-2010 09:18 PM

Well, I'm up to episode 8 of the first season of Burn Notice. Just a leetle bit addictive.

Oh man, I loved Twin Peaks when that came around. I still get goosebumps from the theme music.

jinx 03-20-2010 09:21 PM

I never got into that one. It's one of my choices at treadmill time (4pm) but I like both Law & Order and NCIS better.

glatt 03-21-2010 11:11 AM

In a curious case of synchronicity, we watched Anvil! The Story of Anvil last night, at the same time that Anvil was in town performing at the premier club in DC, the 9:30 Club.

The documentary is extremely similar to This Is Spinal Tap, except it's real. I felt a little bad for Anvil, and wanted them to succeed. A recurring theme in the documentary is Anvil playing spaces that hold 10,000 people, but only 200 people showing up. I'm curious if the 9:30 Club had their space set up with the stage pulled out into the room to accommodate a smaller crowd, or if it was pushed back to hold a sold out show.

skysidhe 03-21-2010 11:49 AM

Let The Right One In

Swedish film with subtitles instant watch at NetFlix.

It's numbing,haunting,sad and leaves an impact.

Undertoad 03-21-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 642192)
Oh man, I loved Twin Peaks when that came around. I still get goosebumps from the theme music.

If you haven't seen the video of Badalamenti explaining how the theme came about... a must see.

Shawnee123 03-21-2010 01:24 PM

Lynch is brilliant, and the theme music is perfect. I noted Badalamenti's name as I started watching the series.

And now, I'm going to go watch the last episode on the 2nd disk of the 2nd season (I was mixed up before because the first CD contained the pilot episode.)

Shawnee123 03-26-2010 12:25 PM

twin peaks spoilers

I have the next two discs of Twin Peaks for this weekend. The last episode I saw was where Leland Palmer killed the crap out of Maddy. Well if she ain't dead she oughta be. I was like WTF?

It's so good. I can't wait to watch it this weekend.

DanaC 03-26-2010 01:25 PM

Ashes to Ashes (2nd series). I really liked the first series, but for some reason when the second one came around last year I didn't watch it. I'd completely forgotten about until i saw an advert for the upcoming third series.

I watched the first two eps last night, and they were great. Gonna watch another couple tonight :)

Pico and ME 03-26-2010 01:51 PM

The Box...All I have to say is JUST DONT! It started of somewhat interesting and then veered into a total waste of time.

Shawnee123 03-26-2010 05:49 PM

I'm a bozo.:biggrinje

I opened up my netflix envelopes (two came back) and I had Season 2 Disc 3 and Season 2 Disc 5. Duh...Disc 4 was next in queue.

But I knew the next episode I needed to watch was ep. 15, and it was on 3, so I was relieved. I couldn't wait until next weekend to know what happened! So, at least I've got one, and I still have a movie I haven't watched.

Has anyone seen 13 Conversations About One Thing? It sounded interesting.

Crimson Ghost 03-27-2010 12:27 AM

Just today, I picked up the "Abbott & Costello TV Show" box set, and finally got the Monty Python box set.

glatt 03-27-2010 09:16 AM

I just got my Wii set up for instant Netflix viewing. The picture is far better than I expected. No noticeable difference from an actual DVD.

Instead of watching crap cartoons this morning, I got the kids watching Tom and Jerry on Netflix.

lumberjim 03-27-2010 09:21 AM

How did you do that?