The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Doctor is in (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30365)

DanaC 08-24-2014 11:54 AM

The Doctor is in

And here we go again :) New body, new face, definitely a new accent...

But still the Doctor.

First ep was a mixed bag - as is often the case with first eps. Took me half the episode to really warm to Capaldi's Doctor, and some parts were very cheesy (but then - Who generally does have a large helping of cheddar) but there were some standout scenes, and I loved the second half.

Not sure about the little epilogue. Moffatt's sowing seeds again - let's see what they grow into :P

Some nice callbacks to earlier Doctors - and some plot points that seemed to have been forgotten during Smith's era have been picked back up again in an interesting way that suggests they were never really forgotten at all, but always intended to be picked up by his succesor.

All in all an interesting start to the new Doctor. I think he's going to be great.

Series trailer:

First ep trailer:

[eta] Really not sure about the new intro though.

Happy Monkey 08-24-2014 07:45 PM

The new intro is based on this fan-made video:

I think the fan-made one is a bit better.

DanaC 08-30-2014 09:28 AM

Yeah, I saw that. I do wish they'd kept the Gallifrey symbol from the fan version.

So anyway. We're a week into the new series and the Daily Mail is already on its third anti-Doctor Who story. We've had the obligatory 'BBC receives complaints about lesbian kiss story' and of course the annual 'Has Doctor Who become too scary for kids?' story. And now this:

Quote:

Doctor Who criticised for scene in which characters tear out their hair after complaints from sufferers of rare disorder
Yes indeed. So, a scene in which the Doctor pulls out a single hair from his head, and lets it fall to the floor to test air disturbance - and then pulls a hair from Clara's head, because her hair is longer - and lets it fall to the floor to test air disturbance...apparently has drawn complaints.

Quote:

Doctor Who has come under fire after a scene featuring stars Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman pulling out their hair sparked complaints from sufferers of a rare disorder.

The BBC sci-fi show has been branded it 'insensitive' following a scene which left sufferers of trichotillomania 'upset' and 'uncomfortable'.

-snip-

Quickly after the short scene finished, sufferers of trichotillomania and Dr Who fans took to social media to slam the BBC for showing the scene which could be seen as a trigger to some people.
-snip-

Popular video-blogger Rebecca Brown, 21, known as Beckie0, who has over 185,000 subscribers on YouTube and suffers from the condition quickly vented her anger online.

In a YouTube video titled 'Triggered By Doctor Who' which has had almost 14,000 views, she said: 'I sat down to watch Dr Who to enjoy myself, I didn’t expect it to include triggering content.

'I just wasn’t prepared, when I know something is coming I can turn off or close my eyes but it is pretty hard when you are suddenly met with it unexpectedly.'

Seriously? They weren't 'tearing out their hair'. And ...how careful are tv writers and execs supposed to be about accidentally including triggers for very rare OCD disorders. How about scenes of people washing their hands potentially triggering people whose OCD makes them compulsively clean their hands?

The BBC declined to comment :p

Nxt up on the Daily Mail: Doctor Who ratings fall!

Sundae 08-30-2014 10:20 AM

This is completely divergent, but you know I'm just jealous about not being able to watch the new Doctor.
My eyes have been rolling madly in my head over the Hate Mail's coverage of the recent "street-grooming" cases.
Those poor lasses who went through hell, would until about a year ago have been termed troubled teens, teenage harlots, a disgusting symptom of Broken Britain.
Now they are pure angels, white virgins, ignored victims.

Not to take anything away from the girls.
Only pointing out the hypocrisy. Gah.

Hate Mail will hate.

Gravdigr 08-30-2014 02:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As good a place as another, I suppose:

Doctor Loo, the toilet of choice for Time Lords.

Attachment 48984Attachment 48985

DanaC 08-30-2014 02:24 PM

Hahahahaha! That is awesome.

DanaC 08-30-2014 02:35 PM

Just watched the secnd episode: Into the Dalek

Holy fucking awesome, Batman!

I am loving this new series. I always liked the hints at moral ambiguity with Smith and even Tennant - with Tennant we had the idea that whilst the Doctor never used guns he didn;t need to - he just used his companions as footsoldiers, and with Smith we had a degree of manipulativeness that reminded me strongly of the 7th Doctor back in the day. Both walked a line between the good man they were trying to be and the warrior who had killed billions in the Time War. Even so, it was always clear to us as viewers that they were basically good - and sometimes good people have to do bad things for the greater good.

It's been a recurring theme throughout the modern era of Who - but Capaldi seems to be the culmination of that theme - because he really doesn't know if he is a good man or not. And for possibly the first time in the modern era at least, we're really not entirely sure either.

We saw the beginning of his wrestling with that question in the opening episode, but for the second ep it is front and centre. We also saw the conflict between a man who dislikes and cannot feel comfortable around soldiers, and yet is effectively one himself.

Lovely intro to Clara's new potential boyfriend too, Danny Pink. A former soldier turned school teacher. I'm really liking him.

Gravdigr 08-30-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 908604)
Hahahahaha! That is awesome.

No, that is a toilet, a shit receptacle.

DanaC 08-30-2014 02:41 PM

Fuck off, it's a tardis. And therefore, by definition Awesome.

:p

sexobon 08-30-2014 03:06 PM

You're both right:

Toilet And Relative Distinction In Shithouse

DanaC 08-30-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 908616)
You're both right:

Toilet And Relative Distinction In Shithouse

Hahahahaahaha. Genius.

fargon 08-30-2014 08:09 PM

The Tardis loo is way beyond cool, it is kewl.

Gravdigr 08-31-2014 03:57 PM

I still like 'Poolice Box' better

Gravdigr 09-01-2014 03:20 PM

Or Turdis.

DanaC 09-01-2014 03:28 PM

Turdis. That's excellent.