The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Microwave oven's effect on a computer (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13453)

Spexxvet 03-01-2007 04:36 PM

Microwave oven's effect on a computer

At work there is a computer, on the floor in an office. This computer has recurring problems. It goes through power supplies yearly, and doesn't ever boot right. Right on the other side of the wall, on a counter, is a microwave oven -probably 18 inches away from the computer. I said that the issues with the computer might very well have to do with its proximity to the microwave. The idea was dismissed off-handedly.

Could a microwave oven fuck up a computer, if the two are close to each other?

Perry Winkle 03-01-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 319386)

I consulted my magic 8 ball. It says that all signs point to yes.

Happy Monkey 03-01-2007 05:26 PM

My monitor is sometimes affected by a microwave on the other side of the wall.

zippyt 03-01-2007 06:23 PM

It could be o the same AC circut , try moveing the pc accross the room , or whip out the aluminum foil and make a shield for the pc:tinfoil:

Spexxvet 03-01-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 319409)
It could be o the same AC circut , try moveing the pc accross the room , or whip out the aluminum foil and make a shield for the pc:tinfoil:

I'll use the one I always have stuffed down the front of my pants. :D

zippyt 03-01-2007 06:32 PM

I'll use the one I always have stuffed down the front of my pants.

Well if you are going to use one That SMALL , it will probley only cover a USB port !!! ;)

Spexxvet 03-01-2007 06:37 PM

ouch! :bandaid:

Happy Monkey 03-01-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 319409)
It could be o the same AC circut

That sounds reasonable.

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2007 07:54 PM

Microwaves can be a big draw. If the voltage drops in the AC line the amperage(read heat) goes up...maybe enough to cook the supply.
Check the line voltage with, and without, the microwave running. Also find out what else is on the line that could be effecting the total draw.
Make sure the ground is properly installed on that line too.
If the line voltage is occasionally low with no apparent reason, check the earth ground for the building and the balance of two 220 volt lines in the breaker box. :question:

zippyt 03-01-2007 08:06 PM

two 220 volt lines in the breaker box

Bruce , generly these are 110 volt lines ,
110 +110 = 220

Just being a Voltage Nazi ;)

Oh and if you don't know what you are doing then don't mess around in a breaker box or else you could look like this ----> :speechls: :shocking: :dead:

( Not you Bruce , I am SHURE you have a clue )

wolf 03-02-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

If you haven't bent space or time yet with this configuration, you're probably okay.

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2007 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 319429)
two 220 volt lines in the breaker box

Bruce , generly these are 110 volt lines ,
110 +110 = 220

Just being a Voltage Nazi ;)

Yeah, I should have said the two wires of the 220 volt. :o
Quote:

Oh and if you don't know what you are doing then don't mess around in a breaker box or else you could look like this ----> :speechls: :shocking: :dead:

( Not you Bruce , I am SHURE you have a clue )
Damn straight.... Why I put breaker boxes on my welding resume. I've got a whole box full of melted screwdrivers, Dykes (not rug munchers) with bites out of the blades and pliers with craters.

One night I was replacing the main panel box, with a live service entrance, using a couple of fluorescent lights on a portable generator. Worst possible moment, the generator threw a rod. First and last time I ever saw fluorescents diiiiimmmm

zippyt 03-03-2007 02:19 AM

First and last time I ever saw fluorescents diiiiimmmm

And you back the FUCK up , I call it " take 5 GIANT steps back "

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2007 08:44 PM

Couldn't back up, I was holding the live feed. :worried:

tw 03-03-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

At work there is a computer, on the floor in an office. This computer has recurring problems. It goes through power supplies yearly, and doesn't ever boot right. Right on the other side of the wall, on a counter, is a microwave oven -probably 18 inches away from the computer. I said that the issues with the computer might very well have to do with its proximity to the microwave.

Nobody - even co-wokers - can say. For example, are they on same circuit? Essential fact. Are replacement power supplies the stuff that don't have necessary features? This is common with clone computer supplies.

If microwave waves were causing a problem, then you all get a warm fuzzy feeling at work.

However without doing an autopsy on those supplies, no one can say what is and is not happening. Analysis of what inside the supplies has failed is an essential fact to have any answer.