The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Meanwhile in... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26464)

classicman 01-04-2012 04:19 PM

Isn't that Chuck Testa-cle?

Gravdigr 01-04-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 785182)
Even stuffed with feathers, that horse wouldn't be light.

He can't be in that brigade, then, can he?

regular.joe 01-04-2012 09:22 PM

Not a desantnik.

Sundae 01-05-2012 10:06 AM

Are you sure that's not Sweden?
They have a Snel Hest meme...

In other news, we've been knocked about by high winds again last night and today.
Even we felt it in our protected location.

Griff 01-05-2012 07:03 PM

I'm wondering if its an anti-poaching tool? Weren't the Russians having a problem with people shooting the wild horses around Chernobyl?

Gravdigr 01-14-2012 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Meanwhile, in Toonland...

Attachment 36694

Gravdigr 01-21-2012 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Meanwhile in Melbourne...

Attachment 36883

classicman 01-21-2012 04:13 PM

Good one!

ZenGum 01-21-2012 06:06 PM

Ouch ... :lol:

Wait .."Spearmint Rhino Gentleman's Club"? Wtf?

Lamplighter 01-25-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 778832)
Meanwhile in Scotland...

Attachment 35772

Must be a bit windy there.

By coincidence ???
Maybe Limey or others can fill us Yanks in on what is (likely) to happen with this...

Christian Science Monitor
Bryan Kay
January 25, 2012

Scotland talks independence – but can it afford it?
Quote:

With a vote on Scotland's independence from the UK becoming more inevitable,
Scots want to know how an independent Scotland would pay its bills.

With the pro-independence Scottish Nationalist Party now in control of the Scottish parliament
in Edinburgh for the first time, the idea of independence is gaining traction.
First Minister Salmond vowed when his party won in 2011 to hold
a referendum on independence before the end of his term.

But British Prime Minister David Cameron and his ruling coalition in London said
earlier this month that Scotland's devolved parliament does not have the constitutional powers
to call a referendum, or to dictate its terms, sparking a heated debate.

glatt 01-25-2012 02:09 PM

I dunno. Maybe we Yanks can fill them in on what it takes to break away from Mother England.

Lamplighter 01-25-2012 02:14 PM

:D

Sundae 01-25-2012 02:28 PM

Cameron was rumoured to be offering the Scots a vote for independence.
But the referendum must be with the next 18 months, is legally binding and is all-or-nothing.

That would have been a huge gamble for Alex Salmond, who promotes a middle of the road solution which means more devolution (Scotland gaining more powers of self-government). This is the only middle of the road thing about him; he wants to get people who aren't hardcore nationalists on his side.

It's an extremely complex issue, as if Scotland does gain full independence it will affect the Armed Forces, the NHS, banking, the Houses of Parliament and the House of Lords, the Monarchy, the BBC, the Union Jack and the Eurovision Song Contest.

Salmond is countering with a consultation paper suggesting a referendum in 2014, with a devolution-max option, where Scots can opt out of much of the control Whitehall currently has. As above, he is worried he will be defeated in an all or nothing vote.

There are various strands to this, including whether ex-pats can vote. Sean Connery has been very vocal about Scottish independence, but every radio interview I've heard with a Scot just derides him. He doesn't live here (Scotland), he doesn't work here and he doesn't pay taxes. Fuck his opinion. Oh and he once dated my Granny. She could have married him you know.

They bottled Sheena Easton offstage last time she came back to sing.

I can't see that dividing small countries into smaller countries makes sense.
It's like subsistance farming.
With Scotland's lower population per square mile I think they benefit from being part of the UK.

Parliament might feel a long way away if you're in the Hebrides, but so will Edinburgh. The UK as it stands definitely benefits from having Scotland as part of the Union. I believe Scotland does too. Alex Salmond vehemently disagrees, but he is a man I would not trust as far as I can spit. And being a lady, that's only into a handkerchief.

Anyway, that was Scottish Independence Lite.
I am more than happy to take a backseat if and when Scots (both born and implanted) air their views.

Rhianne 01-25-2012 03:07 PM

Nothing wrong there other than that Salmond would be for independance in preference to any 'middle-of-the-road' solution.

Sundae 01-25-2012 03:10 PM

Of course. But he wants a halfway house to bring the voters along with him.