The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What is this? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14695)

zippyt 08-02-2007 10:19 PM

knilin !!!

beauregaardhooligan 08-03-2007 10:24 AM

Recycling wood flooring?

BigV 08-03-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint the psychic
Whatta ya want, "the wood I had around behind my shed that had spiders under it and then I built a treehouse out of it" ???

Stop stalking me.

That is exactly the right answer! Congratulations!

I have a triangular rim joist and some joists parallel to base of the triangle. The trunk of the tree extends through the rim joists at the apex of the triangle, and these boards, they are tapered, carefully tapered, cover the trapezoid that represents the "lower" 3/4 of the triangle. They are the deck, the floor of the treehouse.

The black marks on the patio are pieces of tape that I used to approximate the locations of the supporting members. It made laying out and cutting the deck boards much easier. I was standing on the ground, not on a ladder or in the air, you understand. By the way, there are not enough of them to finish the deck in these pictures. That's why you can see the lighter boards (2x4x8s) at the right. They're just there to fill things in visually for me. A placeholder for me to imagine how much more lumber I'll need to complete the deck.

Things are kind of on hold right now, but the next chance I have at a picture, I'll show you the details. The treehouse will likely be a whole thread, like the roof project.

Good call Flint!

BigV 08-03-2007 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Which makes this one, also interesting, not very mysterious. What is this?

HungLikeJesus 08-03-2007 03:27 PM

I was going to say Ponderosa Pine, but the bark looks too thin, and I can't smell any vanilla.

BigV 08-03-2007 03:59 PM

Good close guess... you may be right. Two needles per bundle, semi circular in cross section so when pressed lightly together the show a round bundle, puzzle piece bark, very fast growing. There's a lovely Western Hemlock next door, and an amazing Western Red Cedar across the alley. It's a very green neighborhood.

glatt 08-03-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 371223)
I was going to say Ponderosa Pine...

I was going to say "sticky."

HungLikeJesus 08-03-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 371232)
Good close guess... you may be right. Two needles per bundle, semi circular in cross section so when pressed lightly together the show a round bundle, puzzle piece bark, very fast growing. There's a lovely Western Hemlock next door, and an amazing Western Red Cedar across the alley. It's a very green neighborhood.

That sounds like Ponderosa Pine. The ones in Colorado have 2 or 3 needles per bundle and the needles are 3 to 6 inches long. The bark is thick and smells of vanilla. We have about 50 in our yard, along with a few Douglas-fir and about a dozen aspen.

Flint 08-03-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 371211)
Stop stalking me.
That is exactly the right answer! Congratulations!
Good call Flint!

WTF . . . . . . . . . . . . . I guess I kinda thought, what would you be building with weathered lumber like that... nice project, btw.

beauregaardhooligan 08-03-2007 05:32 PM

<They are the deck, the floor of the treehouse.

I was technically correct, even though Flint, & Elspode beat me to it!

BigV 08-03-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 371238)
That sounds like Ponderosa Pine. The ones in Colorado have 2 or 3 needles per bundle and the needles are 3 to 6 inches long. The bark is thick and smells of vanilla. We have about 50 in our yard, along with a few Douglas-fir and about a dozen aspen.

There are beautiful stands of Ponderosa east of the mountains.. Pics maybe later. The bark on this on is the right shape but definitely thinner. Everything else matches. It is very fast growing. We planted it in the yard when we moved in, now it's the biggest tree on the property.

xoxoxoBruce 08-03-2007 05:38 PM

That's the tree you're killing, in the course of building that platform, to see over the fence when the chick next door is sunbathing,

zippyt 08-03-2007 07:01 PM

One end of your hammoc support ,

richlevy 08-04-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 369896)
Yessiree, Bruce is right! This is some form of sausage, looking something like a salami.The following picture shows the whole thing, with the original close-up located towards the lower-left.

And here I was going to guess "Labrat's sunburned ass":D

Elspode 08-06-2007 08:42 PM

Hey, hey, hey!

There are some things that even we Cellarites don't joke about, RL... :mad2: