The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Single sized carbon credit (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16193)

slang 12-14-2007 02:54 PM

Single sized carbon credit

As we all now know the earth is warming due to the discharge of CO2 into the atmosphere and that will eventually kill the entire world and then we'll be...well, fuct.

In an effort to aknowledge the importance of regulating and measuring one's own emissions I'm going to offer my total lack of driving a vehicle and eating beef while here in the Philippines as a credit for sale.

In the US my driving average is around 150 miles a week. That's 150 miles a week worth of bad, nasty pollution that normally did go into the air, that no longer does now that I'm here without a car. My beef consumption in the US is also included because we all know that cows flatulence is also a major contributor to the problem.

If you happen to be one of those people that are on board with the notion that we should be driving less and reducing our emissions, yet you don't want to give up your SUV and or other earth killing activities, I'm here to ease your guilt.

It's been difficult for me to put a price on this credit for the lack of real market for them but with a bit of calculation a figure has come to mind.

For the amazingly low investment of $200, you can claim my portion of emissions for yourself. The term is for 6 months plus, my stay here in Manila. It's true that I do use some forms of transport that are polluting but it's surely much more efficient than one person running one car alone without carpooling AND it's in another continent.

Yes, I know this is a very affordable credit but it's something that I would like to offer to not only the thinking people of the cellar but also to the earth.

There will be a certificate of authenticity or sincerity issued with the payment of the credit. :blush:

classicman 12-14-2007 03:01 PM

I'm in. Where do I send my payment?

slang 12-14-2007 03:03 PM

Where are you? What city?

tw 12-14-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slang (Post 416695)
It's been difficult for me to put a price on this credit for the lack of real market for them ...

which is a discussion in a recent issue of Scientific American. It asks some damning questions such as is it a free market when government issues and controls the amount of a commodity?

Sundae 12-14-2007 03:20 PM

Oh can I jump on your bandwagon too please Slang?
I share a small house and do not drive a car - always walk or use public transport. I haven't been on an aeroplane since 2004. I recycle everything possible and put on a jumper rather than turn the heating up. We have no air conditioning.

Owing to the poor exchange rate currently I will have to charge more up front, but will still technically undercut Slang by offering 12 months at $300.

Undertoad 12-14-2007 03:31 PM

I'm afraid I have the rest of you pikers beat. Whilst doing nothing more than sitting on my ass in front of a glass tube, I created a community whereby hundreds of people could enjoy each others' company without having to take many global, international flights.

The good news is that with each donation to the Tip Mug you get a return of 10 carbon credits on the dollar (20 on the Pound, 11 on the C$, 12 on Euro).

In near future I will be describing my new Carbon Pyramid, in which you can get carbon credits by creating and selling your own carbon credits and passing part of the profits back up the pyramid. There are no sales involved, all you have to do is talk to your friends and family about something they're already interested in... carbon credits! You can make as many carbon credits as you're motivated to make! Many people make over $100,000 a year! I know somebody who makes $250,000 a year and takes a month off at a time! Similar people are involved in my C.P.! So Ask Me About My Plan To Save The World!

slang 12-14-2007 03:33 PM

A very affordable credit as well but......do you eat beef? Cows are a big problem in the world's air supply.

Not to be taken lightly though as we may be able to make this thread the ebay of single sized carbon credits.

lookout123 12-14-2007 03:34 PM

that's freaking brilliant.

the amazing thing is that if you put a large decal on your truck window and stick signs on light posts advertising that you would make a serious profit. (prophet?) why? cuz we're 'merakins.

slang 12-14-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 416714)
.....the amazing thing is that if you put a large decal on your truck window

That would be a problem as my credit dictates that I don't have a car on this continent.

If you believe that we can make some seriously big easy pesos though, let's get working on it!

And, yes, I am serious. My credit is for sale.

Toad! How can we pyramid this?

Sundae 12-14-2007 03:49 PM

I had some beef jerky the other day.
I am willing to take 50% payment in jerky if that helps.

Cicero 12-14-2007 03:55 PM

lol!!! Yes- you are in a country full of environmentalists!!! LOL!!!

slang 12-14-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 416722)
I had some beef jerky the other day.
I am willing to take 50% payment in jerky if that helps.

You are reducing the value of your credit SG! :D

slang 12-14-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 416725)
lol!!! Yes- you are in a country full of environmentalists!!! LOL!!!

Yes, but do they want to buy credits? That's the real question. :)

Urruke 12-15-2007 03:04 AM

While I'm all for reducing our emmissions into the atmosphere, it's alittle much when people say we'll "kill the entire world". Rather fanatical. Even if we have a nuclear war (which is rather plosible in the next world war) the earth itself won't die. Many animals will become extinct, many many humans will die, and the world will be thrown into another iceage, but she won't die. While on the flip side, the planet is already facing global warming, and even if we stop everything this very second it won't stop completely. Manymany people will die, the ice caps will welt, and there will be lots of extictions, but the planet won't die. Look into the hystory of the world. The continents used to be in different places, there have been ice ages and global warmings, and it's most likely to repeat itself like it has done for millions of years. Take egypt. Parts that are now desert where a paradice only 3000 years ago. The earth changes, we just seem to be making it change at a rather alarming rate.

Cow have been eaten since before cars and fosil fules and factories, only when humans ruined the environment did things become a problem, don't blame animals since they produce it naturally.

ZenGum 12-15-2007 06:57 AM

About the cows, some bio-boffins in Australia have noticed that kangaroos eat the same food as cows, extract 10-15% more energy from it per kilo, and produce virtually no methane.
The first step is for Australian to eat more 'roo and less beef (much better for the environment for other reasons as well ... hard-hoofed animals do lots of damage to the Australian landscape).
The second step is that the aforementioned bio-boffins have worked out that kangaroos can do this because of the specific bacteria in their guts, and are now working to adjust this bacteria so it can be given to cows.
If this works we can have cows that need 10% less feed and produce no methane. Fingers crossed.