The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Watches (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33375)

monster 03-01-2018 09:02 PM

Watches

Do you wear a watch?

Digital, Analog or both?
Large or Small?
Left or Right wrist?
Front or back of wrist?
Cheap or expensive?
Decorative or functional or both?
What kind of strap?

I wear a tiny cheap analog watch with a super-thin black leather strap at work only so I'm not constantly pulling out my cellphone to see the time. Other than that, no. I wear it on the outside of my left wrist like I was taught. When i leave work it comes off and is attached to my name badge and work keys ready for the next day

My daft sons both wear theirs on the right wrist, on the inside. Daughter only wears one occasionally decoratively, but when she does it's vintage analog watch with leather strap from the Swiss brand Hebe :)

Clodfobble 03-01-2018 09:39 PM

I used to wear a stainless-steel link watch with a small shimmery-blue face, which I bought for $5 at a pawn shop while visiting said pawn shop as part of a corporate IT service call. But I stopped maybe 14 years ago, when I started carrying a cell phone with me at all times.

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2018 09:56 PM

I went through a series of cheap Timexs but on the same Speidel twist-o-flex band which was very comfortable. It was very loose, it could fly off if I snapped my wrist. I only wore it at work, on my left wrist.
I had developed what I assumed was a large ganglion cyst on the back of my left hand and talked to a surgeon about removing it. But he said I'd be out of work six weeks, and the internet(which never lies) told me a 50% chance of coming back, so I skipped it.
When I retired I stopped wearing a watch (also savaged my alarm clock) and the cyst disappeared within a month.

sexobon 03-02-2018 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 63319

I'm still wearing the same watch I posted about in 2011:
https://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=...iko#post722712
(Looky there, I'm stalking myself :p:)

It's a Seiko Divers, 200m WR, high end quartz (accuracy within 20 sec/yr), perpetual calendar, 6 yr battery life, offset crown, with a medium size SS case and double locking bracelet. The medium diameter case and offset crown are good for me as its a short throw from my wrist bone to the back of my hand when flexed. The crown doesn't abrade me. I wear it on top of the left wrist.

When the battery ran out of juice, I sent it to the Seiko USA service center for a fresh one, cleaning, and pressure testing. I'm hoping for another 6 yrs out of the watch. It's very convenient, I only have to change the setting to and from DST.

This is the watch that was ordered from Japan and rode out the last big quake and tsunami siting at the Tokyo airport for a few days during shipment.

xoxoxoBruce 03-02-2018 07:33 AM

Had to Google offset crown, never thought about that. :smack:

glatt 03-02-2018 07:47 AM

I'm wearing a fitbit charge HR these days. Sucks as a time piece, but I like the sleep tracking and activity tracking.

Griff 03-02-2018 07:53 AM

I'm tempted to fitbit. I use my phone these days.

limey 03-02-2018 08:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wear my Dad's gold watch from his workplace. It's a (now vintage) Garrard automatic (self-winding), and inscribed on the back. Thanks for reminding me, it only does 31 day months so I have to crank the days forward myself.
Attachment 63322
When that was in for a service recently I wore a rather more flamboyant Soviet watch I bought long ago on my travels. I had to wind it every day (and crank the days away at the end of the month, too).
Attachment 63323
I like them both very much.
And as I think you can see they're large, and I wear my watch on my left wrist like I was taught.

Griff 03-02-2018 09:29 AM

Nice, but tell me about the table! :)

limey 03-02-2018 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1004871)
Nice, but tell me about the table! :)

[threaddrift]
It's my desk. An art deco corner desk. A little too small for everything I have on it, but I love it.

xoxoxoBruce 03-02-2018 10:07 AM

As long as we're adrift, did you knit that sweater in the picture with dads watch?

limey 03-02-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1004874)
As long as we're adrift, did you knit that sweater in the picture with dads watch?

Nope.
[/threaddrift]

Diaphone Jim 03-02-2018 11:12 AM

I bought an Omega Seamaster Deville self-winder from the ship's store on the way to Vietnam in 1966.
It was $65 (about half price) and I wore it through my 11 months in the field (the month long boat trip counted against the year tour!) and I wear it still.
Stainless steel with flat chain band, on top of my left wrist
The date function quit maybe 30 years ago but I only wind it when it sits for a while.

Bruce: If that ganglion comes back smack it good with the family bible.

Griff 03-02-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1004873)
[threaddrift]
It's my desk. An art deco corner desk. A little too small for everything I have on it, but I love it.

very cool

Pamela 03-02-2018 06:42 PM

I wear a basic digital Casio Pro Trek series on my left outer wrist. No winding needed, only reset DST although that is supposed to set itself. It tells me all kinds of stuff that I ordinarily don't need but nice to know anyway.

Only problem I have is the backlight turns on any time I move the watch (or my wrist) from horizontal to vertical, which drains the battery. It thus needs about 30 minutes of daylight per day to recharge or I will get a low battery warning. I can't be fussed with sending it to Casio for repair because that takes time and I wouldn't know the day or date or time without it.