The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cycling (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26473)

regular.joe 12-09-2011 05:52 PM

Cycling

Are there any other cyclists in the Cellar? I have been cycling now for about 3-4 months. Can't run as much as I used to, I'm getting old and jumping out of planes, carrying heavy rucks and generally abusing my body is starting to hurt.

I did my first metric century, and first century last month. I average about 130-150 miles a week right now. I spend way to much money on kit and will continue to for the foreseeable future. I currently ride a TREK 1700 with tiargra accouterments. I will upgrade with my tax return next year to a Cannondale CAAD 10 with the 105 stuff.

My goal next year is to do a century a month for 12 months plus the 150 miles per week min.

I'll post pics of my bike, kit, and events on here as they come up. If you are a cyclist of any sort I would be glad to hear your stories, see your bike and generally talk bike shop.

HungLikeJesus 12-09-2011 06:19 PM

You get a big promotion, and now you're just going to sit back and go for a bike ride?

I ride occasionally, but not very seriously. I have a Trek 520 touring bike. Last year I spent five days riding from ~Chicago to ~Detroit.

I'm surprised that you were able to ride a century after training for only a few months.

ZenGum 12-09-2011 06:58 PM

A century? As in 100 miles in a single ride?

I'd consider that a long drive.

Griff 12-09-2011 07:13 PM

Hi Joe,
I've done a few MS 150s. That's a charity ride of 100 miles day one followed by 50 the next day. Day two is the one that hurts. I've switched over to just mountain biking though. PA has this new theory for rural roads that involves using stone rubble instead of shoulders on the road, so you have two undersize lanes with no escape route for bikes, between that and the dumbass trend of leaving trailer mirrors fully extended I'm out. For me single track riding is more exciting/interesting anyway unless we're touring a new area. Once I feel safe that my pneumonia is kicked, I'll be wanting to get back in it between snow falls. footy is a retired shop monkey as well. Keep posting about your miles, I'd love to get a feel for your rides.

footfootfoot 12-09-2011 09:11 PM

I was looking at my tool kit last night and wondering what the hell?

I can fix bikes that don't exist anymore.

How's that for skilz?

regular.joe 12-09-2011 10:06 PM

Hey Foot, the old steelies are the best and will always be around. You keep right on fixing them.

zippyt 12-09-2011 10:25 PM

i have a Fuji Olympian , fucken Porsche of a Bike ,
and Santa brought me a Mag trainer for my Specalized

regular.joe 12-09-2011 10:55 PM

Nice, I hear the mag trainer is sweet. I really am a novice, but am enjoying riding. put on 20 miles today at 17.6 mph. couple of tiny hills, pretty flat. I have a route on post here that I will ride tomorrow, 32 miles with lots of bumpy stuff.

Nirvana 12-09-2011 11:00 PM

I had a Fuji when I was a kid but yah I haven't peddled my ass for years....

I just could not stop myself from posting that...

Griff 12-10-2011 06:55 AM

:) @ Nirvana
It is so easy to replace a sealed bottom bracket versus re-packing time vs money choose your poison. Brakes are better since the V Brake came out although disc brakes are making quit a push... big $.
I have a KHS Comp mtn bike and a Trek 520 touring bike both good solid bikes, nuthin too fancy.

Joe it sounds like your fitness translated to cycling pretty smoothly, most people struggle to get comfortable with those big miles.

monster 12-10-2011 06:56 AM

You insensitive bastard! My Trek was stolen on 8/1/11.........

:cry:

Griff 12-10-2011 06:59 AM

Did your homeowners pay off on that? Cuz a new Trek would look pretty sweet on your new Suzuki.

fargon 12-10-2011 07:26 AM

We have Electra Townie's, and ride around French Island WX permitting.
They are just like us very comfortable to ride.

monster 12-10-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 779269)
Did your homeowners pay off on that? Cuz a new Trek would look pretty sweet on your new Suzuki.

Nah, it was less than the deductable so we didn't claim. it wasn't a high end Trek. But it was my bike......

footfootfoot 12-10-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 779266)
:) @ Nirvana
It is so easy to replace a sealed bottom bracket versus re-packing time vs money choose your poison.

Dude, I can repack a BB in the same time it takes to replace a sealed BB. You just have to do it a few thousand times.

Lemme at em'. Ha! Kids today...

There was an Aussie movie where this young turk challenges an old timer from another town to a sheep shearing contest, what movie was that?