The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Big Bumper Thread of Stand-up Comedy (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29953)

DanaC 07-14-2014 04:06 PM

I really like Greg Davies. He's done a couple of good sitcoms as well. One of them (Man Down) I've only seen bits of and keep intending to catch up on it. Only one series so far I think - his father in the show was played by Rik Mayall.

Clodfobble 07-15-2014 07:30 AM

OMG. Tried watching Dave Foley's new work last night. So, so depressing. Stay far the fuck away from it.

Here's the gist of it: His career is in the toilet. He regrets most of the decisions in his life. He's on antidepressants, can't manage to have orgasms most of the time, and pays $17,700 a month in child support despite having an income nowhere near that anymore. None of this was delivered in a humorous manner, it was just really awkward complaining. And he has a terrible dye job.

We had to turn it off.

Gravdigr 07-16-2014 03:36 PM

I think I almost watched that on Netflix last night. Thanks for the heads up.

I have watched two Jim Norton shows, lately, "Please, Be Offended", and "American Degenerate". I recommend both.

If you don't know Jim Norton, prepare to be offended.

lumberjim 07-16-2014 04:07 PM

"Looks like someone dumped a bucket of Aids on his head "

DanaC 08-02-2014 02:13 PM

Excellent radio interview with Marcus Brigstocke:

DanaC 08-02-2014 03:21 PM

There was an interesting little piece on the Guardian website by an Aussie standup today. She talks about a story she tells in her act - a true story - that she kind of cringes about now. It involves a heckling incident which really freaked her out and which actually scared her quite badly - she then built a section of her act around it and ended up with something very, very funny - but has since begun to think that by doing so she betrayed the seriousness of what happened and how it affected her at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/201...exual-violence

She does it so well though - it is a shocking story, particularly the responses of the audience at the time, but her telling of it is hilarious.

Beest 10-09-2014 11:19 AM

I've been playing stand up comdey sets in the kitchen while i work, since you mostly don't need to see them, just listen.

Best one recently was one by Bobcat Goldthwaite, "You don't look the same either" streamed on netflix. He's obviously working from a script or set, but it still feels pretty off the cuff I don't think he does stand-up regularly any more, he mentions directing, so there's a little bit more doing it because he can, I'm sure the paycheck is nice too.

Near the end there is one the greatest, I shouldn't laugh at this but it's funny gags, about a Firetruck.

footfootfoot 10-09-2014 02:19 PM

footfootfoot 10-09-2014 02:38 PM

…it was kind of fisting this McDonald’s Happy Meal into the bleak, stygian abyss of its gaping maw and there was just this sound and I was not sure if it was the noise of the happy meal being ingested or the sound of my ovaries shriveling as I looked at it…

footfootfoot 10-09-2014 02:45 PM

Clodfobble 01-05-2015 10:53 AM

Okay. Deep breath. Not afraid to show this to people who know me, not afraid to show this to people who know me...

I went up again last night. Not my best set, but several people before me had gone long, and they were clearly getting pushier with the 4-minute limit, and I already knew my bit ran long because they always do because I'm a bad person who can't follow the rules. So I was really rushing it (and still, see that 4:47 running time?) and missed several laughs I know I could have gotten if I'd delivered it the way I wanted to.

Anyway. Enough backpedaling and excuses. Most of it is a story I already shared on here a couple months back, so I'll know if you're really reading my posts or not.

Oh, right, some of you who know my real name may notice this isn't it. I've been using a stage name from the beginning because I don't need the PTA to accidentally google me saying "cunt" a bunch of times. I don't say cunt in this bit though, just a few fucks and one shit.

BigV 01-05-2015 11:03 AM

Namaste indeed!

Fucking brava!

I LOLed at 1:59 despite myself.

Oh, and *thank you*.

DanaC 01-05-2015 11:08 AM

I got a minute in and had to stop cause I was really laughing and didn't want to miss anything.

Then I listened to the rest.

I do remember readingthat story and it making me smile - but hearing you tell it was soooo much funnier.

Your delivery is awesome. You sounded really confident, like you've been doing standup gigs as a career for years.

Back in the day, me and J used to watch a lot of new stand ups - open mic type stuff. Saw some people die hard. Saw some die but knew they had the funneh somewhere. Saw some and just knew they had no funneh at all - and saw some that just got the audience right on side and held the room. You put me in mind of the latter.

infinite monkey 01-05-2015 11:09 AM

Well now I envy you for one more thing!

Very nicely done.

DanaC 01-05-2015 11:10 AM

The line about paying a man more made me laugh so hard.