The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   State College, PA... jus' reminiscing (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34262)

Undertoad 05-05-2019 10:31 PM

State College, PA... jus' reminiscing

So every summer, from like about 1969 to about 1984, my mama would have a booth at the Arts Festival, and we would haul all her crafts up to State College and set up and sell her stuff for four long days in the hot sun.

After a while, we stayed with a family that also worked at the festival, and it was very cool. Every year, there would be this intense long weekend with this set of very cool friends... that I would never see, or talk to at any other time.

Because it was a college town, it had three different pinball arcades. They'd give you five balls per quarter, where every place I ever saw elsewhere, had eventually converted to three.

Three balls per quarter, people. What a rip-off.

As a kid, I would save up quarters for this annual State College weekend. When I wasn't needed at the booth, I would haul ass to those places and play for hours straight.

State College wasn't that far, only about two hours away from home; but to a little kid, in a VW Squareback packed with crafts and shit, trying to make it up and down the hills seemed like a crazy faraway adventure. There was this one hill climb that actually challenged the 1970-era car. Like one time, after making it to the top, the car could only manage to do 40 MPH for a good five minutes, until it somehow recovered.

The last Arts Fest I worked, I'm 19, and now the place has a whole different vibe to it. Aside from the fact that I had caught up in age to the college chicks. The arcades are still interesting, but now I realize there are three amazing independent record shops within that same area. I'd browse for two hours straight...

Griff 05-06-2019 06:18 AM

Pete used to work the arts festivals with her mom. It always amazed me that her mom could make a decent living at it even though some shows would be complete busts. I guess she learned to choose well and made a lot of contacts in the wholesale markets. She made a lot of friends doing those shows. Pete says they did that State College one bitd. Thanks for the look behind the curtain. We need a link to your mom's art thread here.

xoxoxoBruce 05-06-2019 06:28 AM

Yes, a link for Keeper and one for Mompete too.

Undertoad 05-06-2019 08:02 AM

Mom is here

Gravdigr 05-06-2019 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1031919)
They'd give you five balls per quarter...

Whaa--five?!?!Attachment 67706

This was a nice ride in the wayback machine, Toad.:rolleyes:

Undertoad 05-06-2019 01:55 PM

Question is, are there still any pinballs out there and are they still a quarter at all.

Last time I think I played was at a Wildwood, NJ arcade... maybe 10 years ago

As a kid, I was pretty sure I'd have my own pinball machine by now

I believe, as an 11 year old, I regarded it as the highest achievement, to have a machine of your own you didn't have to feed quarters

Gravdigr 05-06-2019 02:00 PM

The local sports bar has a pinball machine, at least it did the last time I was in there, I don't go to that bar much.

50 cents for three balls, greedy bastards.

It was/is a genuine Bally, but I can't remember what the theme was. I've wanted the KISS machine since the first time I saw it.

glatt 05-06-2019 02:22 PM

Last week, I saw The Who's Tommy at the Kennedy center. Fun musical, for the most part.

My son was there too, and I had to feel a little sorry for him because I'm not sure he has ever played pinball. So much of that musical is about pinball.

The kid they had playing Tommy did a pretty good job pretending to play pinball on the stage prop they had up there. They must have found a real machine for him to practice on.

Clodfobble 05-06-2019 02:39 PM

There is a place here called Pinballz that has basically every classic machine ever--245 total in the collection, with 30-100 operational and on the floor at any given time.

Undertoad 05-06-2019 05:56 PM

Once there is information for Mompete, I will check if Katkeeper knows her. :eek:

tw 05-06-2019 08:00 PM

Does the Arts Festival still exist? When? In the stadium parking lot?

BigV 05-06-2019 08:17 PM

There are a at least two bars/arcades that have a dozen machines or more, plus the ones at the game shop.

Undertoad 05-06-2019 11:01 PM

There will always be a State College Arts Festival! It will always be on College Ave. and a few blocks surrounding.

And a Three Rivers Arts Festival - no arcades at that one, just a dangerous city... and musicians that were stunning

And a Rhinebeck festival and here's one in Baltimore and here's one in Frederick MD and ... and ...

xoxoxoBruce 05-06-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1031939)

Nice site, she must know somebody with IT skills. http://cellar.org/2015/shades.gif
Of course it's appropriate to have a site shadowing the quality of her work which is first class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1031960)
There is a place here called Pinballz that has basically every classic machine ever--245 total in the collection, with 30-100 operational and on the floor at any given time.

There's a Museum out near Pittsburgh and here a place called Barcade in Fishtown that's supposed to have some pinball along with the arcade games.

Griff 05-07-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1031964)
Once there is information for Mompete, I will check if Katkeeper knows her. :eek:

http://www.janpetersondesigns.com/

She was doing trapunto back then.