The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Camping (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33196)

bbro 12-04-2017 10:54 AM

Camping

I want to try camping. The problem is, I have NO idea what to do, where to go, what to buy, etc. And I have NO friends that I can utilize to help me learn. I am looking for classes/meetups, etc, but haven't found any for me so far or they are scheduled when I have previous commitments. I need to pay more attention to REI since they offer classes. I am not looking to do anything until next fall, so I still have time to check some out.

I kind of want to hike in instead of drive. I think it would be more peaceful. I was thinking of starting at a local park that has primitive spots. I can take a hike and check them out before I book or try anything out in the mountains (which is the ultimate goal). There is one place that I would LOVE to camp which only has drive in sites

I do have a day pack, but I'll need a bigger one for staying overnight. And a stove, sleeping bag and pad, tent (or, hopefully a hammock I saw the other day), food, tp, water filtration, lamp, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

Anyone have any tips, wisdom, etc? Has anyone attempted to start camping as an adult? There is one place that I would LOVE to camp which only has drive in sites, so any advice for that is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I think this is the right forum - if not, feel free to move

glatt 12-04-2017 11:27 AM

I love camping. There are a few of us here who could write volumes in response.

For buying gear, I recommend checking out Ebay for used stuff or buying generic stuff direct from China through Ali-Express. The downside with both of those things is you can't return the stuff if you are unhappy with it. REI is expensive, but they take stuff back for any reason.

Ideally you should try camping before you commit to buying several hundred bucks worth of gear, but I don't know how you do that without joining a group or something and using their gear.

If you are unfamiliar with backpacking camping, there are a bunch of people on YouTube who talk about how they do it, and the gear they use. You watch videos from half a dozen folks, you can start to get an idea of what you will need.

With backpacking camping, you will need pretty lightweight and compressible stuff, which is normally more expensive. And then you take a hard look at what you really are going to need and don't take anything you don't need.

Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed a pack weight that is more than 30% of your own weight. To be happy, you will want to be way less than that though. More like 15%-20% of your own weight.

I'd recommend finding a place with sites that are about one mile away from the parking lot. That's far enough to get some peace and quiet, but you won't kill yourself on your first excursion.

There are tons of worthless expensive products out there that you don't need. I bought a set of Coleman Peak backpacking cooking pots when I first started camping, and they were a complete waste of money. Awkward to use, heavy, an unhelpful size, you name it. [edit: I naively thought that because they nested inside each other and came in a stuff sack, they were cool.] I think a lot of beginners buy stuff they think they need because they see it in a store or catalog and just buy it. Sales clerks in stores are never going to tell you that you don't need an item you are looking at.

glatt 12-04-2017 11:33 AM

I've got a big backpacking trip with a Boy Scout crew that I'm leading in the summer. This will be in New Mexico where it will be in the 30s-40s in the morning and over 100 in the afternoon. There will be sun beating down, and also drenching thunderstorms.

They helpfully provide a packing list specific to their program. Broken down by personal gear and group gear. As a single person, you would have to carry everything yourself, so it would all be personal gear.

http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Tr...attoBring.aspx

bbro 12-04-2017 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the information!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 999512)
I love camping. There are a few of us here who could write volumes in response.

That's why I asked :D

Quote:

For buying gear, I recommend checking out Ebay for used stuff or buying generic stuff direct from China through Ali-Express. The downside with both of those things is you can't return the stuff if you are unhappy with it. REI is expensive, but they take stuff back for any reason.

Ideally you should try camping before you commit to buying several hundred bucks worth of gear, but I don't know how you do that without joining a group or something and using their gear.

If you are unfamiliar with backpacking camping, there are a bunch of people on YouTube who talk about how they do it, and the gear they use. You watch videos from half a dozen folks, you can start to get an idea of what you will need.
I will check out YouTube. I know it's going to be expensive, but if I can return it, it would be better. It would be nice to have friends, but if I want to do this, I don't really have a choice.

Quote:

With backpacking camping, you will need pretty lightweight and compressible stuff, which is normally more expensive. And then you take a hard look at what you really are going to need and don't take anything you don't need.

Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed a pack weight that is more than 30% of your own weight. To be happy, you will want to be way less than that though. More like 15%-20% of your own weight.
Happily, that's quite a bit of weight - lol. That's another reason I was going to start out with just reservable areas in parks. Probably not just the first one, either. Then, as I get more comfortable with that, start doing some backcountry camping....or I may just stick with reservable spots.

Quote:

I'd recommend finding a place with sites that are about one mile away from the parking lot. That's far enough to get some peace and quiet, but you won't kill yourself on your first excursion.
Both places I was thinking of are relatively close to parking, just not a drive up location, but it is something to think about.

Quote:

There are tons of worthless expensive products out there that you don't need. I bought a set of Coleman Peak backpacking cooking pots when I first started camping, and they were a complete waste of money. Awkward to use, heavy, an unhelpful size, you name it. [edit: I naively thought that because they nested inside each other and came in a stuff sack, they were cool.] I think a lot of beginners buy stuff they think they need because they see it in a store or catalog and just buy it. Sales clerks in stores are never going to tell you that you don't need an item you are looking at.
I have another store down here called Great Outdoor Provisions that will actually tell you that you don't need something, so I have been going there to get my stuff. I know I can definitely overshop on a normal day.

One thing that I can't believe is that when you go camping and stay in the same spot, that you just leave all your stuff there. I mean, no one messes with it??

glatt 12-04-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 999519)
One thing that I can't believe is that when you go camping and stay in the same spot, that you just leave all your stuff there. I mean, no one messes with it??

I've never had my stuff messed with by humans.

Raccoons, wild horse, mice. That's another story.

I did camp in NJ last summer and didn't leave anything other than some relatively inexpensive tents out. I had a bad feeling about that place. It was a dump.

One tip I have for a cook system. Check this video out. Cheap, compact, pretty lightweight. I like this guy's thinking.

Griff 12-04-2017 05:26 PM

Yeah, back packers seem to be generally a decent bunch. Most thieves don't want to hike to steal! :) I did meet some sketchy people on the Appalachian trail but I think that was because we were pretty close to a town.

You can practice setting up in a yard somewhere to get things started. You want to be able top get your tent up properly, filter water, and feed yourself. Pour over maps make sure you have access to water. Keep dry. Watch the forecasts closely.

i just got word from the boss that we're on for a ADK New Years back packing trip again this year, which is very pleasing to me.

Youtube is great but I'd really advise seeking out an experienced person to go with just to smooth out the kinks.

Griff 12-04-2017 05:29 PM

Take care of your feet, bring extra socks and moleskin for blisters. Good socks and good boots are pretty important.

monster 12-04-2017 07:04 PM

If you have never camped before, baby steps. work up to it. Buy a basic sleeping bag and cheap 2-man tent from Walmart or similar. A single burner propane stove, and small pan set from Walmart and just go local for a night or two, to your nearest state park. The whole cost of that should be less than a night in a hotel. You can use an old gallon milk jug as a water container. If you forget anything vital, or figure out other things you need (like a foam pad to sleep on) there will be a store nearby. If there isn't, pick a park where there is. We used to do a "last hurrah" in the summer camping about 20 minutes north of where we live. But it didn't matter. It still felt like the middle of nowhere. Plus we could run home or to Walmart if need be.

Griff 12-05-2017 06:17 AM

Yeah, don't bite off too much. There is a passion for peak bagging that pushes folks beyond their current abilities. It looks easier on paper until you get a sense of the terrain maps.

Oh, have fun!

xoxoxoBruce 12-05-2017 11:27 AM

Monster nailed it, baby steps. There are as many types of camping as Carter has little pills, as the objective, or a means to an end. Start with some basic equipment, camping in your or a friends yard. Make sure you understand how everything works and if you'll be happy with it or need more/less. You could also just take some short hikes carrying that stuff to see if it will be grueling or not, before setting off on an overnight trip. Forced marches are not fun. Also, if you plan to hike from point A to point C, stopping overnight at point B, you'll probably be happy with less gear than if you hike somewhere and set up camp for a couple nights.

bbro 12-05-2017 02:06 PM

ok, just to make sure everyone understands - No Friends. For anything. Why do you think I'm going in the woods alone? Or asking people on the internet instead of asking IRL people??

@glatt - I like that guy - I like putting everything in something - lol! Good to know about people. It just seems so weird to me

@Griff - Got good socks, need good boots. That's on the list to buy next year. Good idea on the moleskin, though. I can add that to my first aid kit, easily. The places I have picked out to start with have potable water nearby. They are off the hiking trails or off a road, so I am good there. I don't have to worry too much about that until I start back country camping.

@monster - the first park I am planning on staying in is right off civilization. Short walk to the store since all the parks here shut and lock the gates at a certain time. The other park is a bit more out in nowhere, but that's the one I will be driving up to, so I can cart more things. I think both are like $15 a night.

What do you guys think of a GPS device? That way, I can shut my phone off and preserve battery in case I need to call for anything. I need to get a portable charger for regular life, anyways, so I would just make sure to get one that can go camping, too.

Do campsites usually have wood if they have a fire pit or do you have to bring that in? I see notes not to take firewood OUT, so I assume they do?

Food is going to be interesting, to say the least. But there are LOADS of information about that out there. It'll be fun to see what I can put together.

Thanks for all the help!!

glatt 12-05-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 999566)
Do campsites usually have wood if they have a fire pit or do you have to bring that in? I see notes not to take firewood OUT, so I assume they do?

Depends on the site. The popular campgrounds will usually sell you wood. The less popular campsites will have enough dead wood lying around in the woods that you can gather your own for free. Around here, you are not supposed to transport wood to a park because you spread disease that way. Insects and fungus. Often there is a little country store close to the campground that will sell bundles of local wood.

Happy Monkey 12-05-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 999566)
What do you guys think of a GPS device? That way, I can shut my phone off and preserve battery in case I need to call for anything. I need to get a portable charger for regular life, anyways, so I would just make sure to get one that can go camping, too.

If you get one, make sure it's intended for camping/hiking. A GPS intended for driving won't be useful ("Hm. Green in all directions").

glatt 12-05-2017 03:56 PM

I wouldn't spend money on a GPS until you have everything else first. What good is a GPS if you don't have decent footwear yet?

lumberjim 12-05-2017 04:19 PM

PENCIL TORCH
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1i43Db1yGL.jpg

FIRE PASTE

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AA616SH20_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bril...+PHONE+CHARGER

hand crank charger gizmo

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1dY-3A9v4L.jpg

Gravdigr 12-05-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 999568)
If you get one, make sure it's intended for camping/hiking. A GPS intended for driving won't be useful ("Hm. Green in all directions").

Popdigr has a couple that leave a breadcrumb trail. Drops a dot every so often, like a waypoint, so you can not only find where you came from, you can find the exact way you came in.

Excellent for hunting/hiking.

Gravdigr 12-05-2017 05:25 PM

Never heard of 'fire paste'. Great concept.

Vaseline-soaked cotton balls are an excellent fire starter.

captainhook455 12-05-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 999515)
I've got a big backpacking trip with a Boy Scout crew that I'm leading in the summer. This will be in New Mexico where it will be in the 30s-40s in the morning and over 100 in the afternoon. There will be sun beating down, and also drenching thunderstorms.

They helpfully provide a packing list specific to their program. Broken down by personal gear and group gear. As a single person, you would have to carry everything yourself, so it would all be personal gear.

http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Tr...attoBring.aspx

Did you know there are two routes? The northern and southern trails. We took the northern. When we got back to the main station and described our trip to the southern bunch they said they wished they went north.

captainhook455 12-05-2017 07:57 PM

Unless you are a gourmet cook then only one pot is needed and get the Teflon type, because all aluminum is a bitch to clean. Then there is dehydrated food. Everything is edible except anything with potatoes. Tear the pack open and hold close to the pot. Any slight wind will blow the spices away. Get a collapsible water jug with handle that can be strapped to outside of pack. Also you need a bell to hang on the pack so you don't spook any bears.

When walking away from camp put your stuff in the tent.

glatt 12-05-2017 08:42 PM

Yes! We get to enter a lottery for our preferred route in February.

monster 12-05-2017 10:12 PM

What Glatt said about wood. No GPS -certainly not on the first attempt. FIND OUT IF YOU LIKE IT FIRST. Hike a marked trail, don't go too far from your car. stay minimal -in expense as well as weight. I disagree w tarheel, a cheap aluminum pan set will be fine for the first venture out, It's light, disposable (financially) after the trip is over so it doesn't matter if you don't do a great clean-up job, and having more than one pan is helpful if you want to boil water for hot drink as well as cook food. Also, dried meals are disgusting and enough to put you off camping for life. Take real food as much as space and time allow. Pasta, canned corned beef and tomato paste (get a tube not a can) can make pretty tasty/satisfying eating after a day's hiking.

Pamela 12-05-2017 10:23 PM

Argh! I wrote a three page response with tips and advice and everything, then accidentally erased it all. I *hate* the touchpad!

Griff 12-06-2017 05:57 AM

I agree with Pam. ;)

Clodfobble 12-06-2017 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro
ok, just to make sure everyone understands - No Friends. For anything. Why do you think I'm going in the woods alone?

Okay, but hear me out for just a second. People who have lots of camping experience regularly get lost, and subsequently die, in the woods. Even with a GPS unit. Someone with no camping experience is even more likely to do so. Please at least tell someone where you're going, in specific detail, and when they should expect you back, so if you don't show up they'll alert the park service.

Also, watch the movie 127 hours. A.) It's fucking awesome, B.) it's a true story, and C.) the moral of the story is apropos.

glatt 12-06-2017 08:17 AM

I don't disagree with anyone here.

The problem is that you can spend a ton of money before you even find out if you like it. And even people who do a lot of camping are often reevaluating the gear they use. The opportunities to spend money never go away.

The absolute best thing to do is to go camping with somebody who already has all the gear so you don't have to spend anything. I know you said that's not really an option. Keep looking for group events. If you aren't planning on anything until next fall, you have lots of time. why wait though? Spring camping is fun too, and you don't have to commit to a week long adventure or anything. Just go out on a Saturday morning and come back on Sunday.

If you really decide you want to buy a bunch of gear, come back and talk about each item. So much of this is specific to what you want to do and also your style. Camping choices are just as personal as everything else in life. It's actually fun to go to a big crowded campground and walk around to see how everyone has their site set up.

I'm not such a fan of buying disposable junk gear to get started and then buying the more expensive good stuff after a while. You can find good stuff for a moderate price and use it for years if you shop around and ask for advice about specific items here.

captainhook455 12-06-2017 09:05 AM

If you don't clean your cookware properly then you will spend some time squatting in the woods. Be careful not to use poison ivy leaves to wipe your butt.

bbro 12-06-2017 09:29 AM

@glatt - I am getting new boots. I'll be hiking in the mountains in January, so I need them soon. I think the GPS would be helpful even if I am just hiking and I plan to do that regardless if I continue camping. I agree with the cost. I don't have to wait until fall, I suppose. I was looking for something to do to relax in April after a long training schedule, so I was thinking of trying then. I am looking at classes at REI, but some of those cost $70+ without any equipment cost.

@lumberjim - I will keep those in mind - thanks!

@Gravdigr - that's a good idea. I can look for one of those......I've gotten lost in a trailed park before. It's easy to lose the trail in the leaves!!

@monster - this isn't my first time in the woods, ever. I hike regularly.

@Pamela - sorry, that sucks :(

@Clodfobble - I always let someone know when I am hiking on the mountain trails far from home. At the local trails, there is constant cell service. I make sure to research the parks I hike at. There's one that will send out search and rescue if your car is still in the lot at closing, so they have suggestions on information to leave. I would do the same with camping. I think with camping, I have to check in and out with the rangers, so they would definitely know. I was even thinking of seeing if there was a GPS that someone could follow online.

@captainhook - I can buy biodegradable toilet paper - poison ivy threat REMOVED! :D

monster 12-06-2017 09:50 AM

sorry I offended by not being clear, I was talking about the camping, not the hiking. I wish you all he best whatever you decide

glatt 12-06-2017 10:09 AM

You seem pretty adamant about a GPS, and that's cool. It's your choice. You might want to check out apps for your phone first, because there are a handful of hiking GPS apps out there. An Anker battery charger to keep your phone topped off is a lot cheaper than a GPS unit. You download the maps to your phone, and then you don't even need a cell signal because the GPS will work without it if you have the maps on your phone.

tldr of the video is some good apps are:
Guthook's Hiking Guide
Gaia
Google Maps
All Trails

bbro 12-06-2017 10:57 AM

@monster - there was no offense. It just seemed like the assumption was there that I hadn't ever entered the woods. I appreciate the input, I just wanted to clarify

@glatt - Do you think it's not necessary on solo hikes? I've been doing longer mountain hikes lately and want to continue regardless of camping future. I figured it was something I could use that would help people find me, but I wasn't sure. I was going to do more research. There are some that can send out an SOS signal.

I used runkeeper last time and my phone barely (I accidentally shut it off near the end) lasted the entire hike which is why I was thinking of a dedicated GPS. Do you think these apps will still work without data and wifi? I think if I turn those off, I can squeeze some more battery out if it. How do you download the maps? Does that just come with the apps?

glatt 12-06-2017 11:06 AM

I've never used the apps, but my understanding of them is that you download the maps from the app (paid) and then you can turn off the cell signal and wifi to save batteries. You turn on GPS only, and the GPS tracks you in the downloaded map on the phone. There is no SOS feature.

I'd be curious to know how the GPS units you are talking about send an SOS. Do they use satellite phones? I've heard of the inReach. My sister has one of those that she uses when she and her partner are hundred of miles from the nearest road. It lets you send text messages for like a buck a text, using satellite service.

bbro 12-06-2017 12:15 PM

@glatt - I'll see if I can find it again and post it here.

bbro 12-06-2017 12:31 PM

Here it is. It's on this list
Direct to specific GPS link

There's another on this list that's more expensive
Direct to specific GPS link

This is the best "budget" one on both lists with no SOS option, but not a bad base model. Definitely more expensive than apps and a charger, though

bbro 12-06-2017 02:00 PM

Yea, I know I am moving fast, but I am excited....and bored at work. I looked at the campsites more and I think I can get away with spending approx $60 in equipment to give it a try. *This doesn't include the boots because I am getting them regardless of camping)

Here's a list of the amenities and the other one is similar in that it has fresh water, fire pits, and grill
  • Site Type: Campsite Non-Electric
  • Site Reserve Type: Site-Specific
  • Checkin Time: 4:00 pm
  • Checkout Time: 3:00 pm
  • Type of Use: Overnight
  • Min Num of People: 1
  • Max Num of People: 6
  • Pets Allowed: Y
  • Min Num of Vehicles: 1
  • Max Num of Vehicles: 2
  • Driveway Grade: Moderate
  • Driveway Length: 20
  • Max Vehicle Length: 20
  • Shade: Partial
  • Tent Pad Length: 14
  • Tent Pad Width: 14
  • Capacity/Size Rating: Single
  • Tent Pad: Y
  • Campfire Allowed: Y
  • Fire Pit: Y
  • Grills: Y
  • Looking For Category: Tent Site
  • Picnic Table: Y
  • Quiet Area: Y
  • Distance to Body of Water: 6864
  • Driveway Width: 15
  • Parking Lot Surface: Gravel
  • Proximity to Drinking Water: 105
  • Site Access: Drive-In
  • Site Surface: Gravel
  • Tent Only: Y

I found some items on the cheaper side on Amazon
Charger (Per lumberjim's suggestion)
Sleeping Bag (Since both sites are drive up, I can pack extra blankets for "just in case")
Sleeping Pad
Tent (On back order, but the assumption is that it will be here soonish - couple months. If not, I'll look some more. I am assuming it is so cheap cause it's ugly.)

I won't need a stove because there's a grill. I don't need dishes because I'll have a car. I don't need water purifier because there's potable water onsite. I think with these, I can comfortably go in the Spring instead of waiting all year. Plus, since they are both drive up, if I need anything, I can go out and get it.

Thoughts?

limey 12-06-2017 02:18 PM

Looks to me like a reasonable starting point. I echo the remark that it is Very Edumacational taking a sly look at everyone else’s rig out at a site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glatt 12-06-2017 03:24 PM

Yes. Sly is important. You aren't gawking.

That pad looks pretty bad. So does the sleeping bag. I would skip the sleeping bag, use blankets instead for free from home, and take the money you save from the sleeping bag and buy a Thermarest solid foam pad like this one.

A sleeping bag should have a temperature rating to give you an idea of what it can do for you. This one does not. You have no idea how warm it will be.

The tent looks OK and the charger too, especially if LJ has used it and vouches for it. Although having the crank gives it a little more weight if you ever plan to backpack.

lumberjim 12-06-2017 04:05 PM

I've not used it, but I gave one to Spencer last year and it worked for him.

bbro 12-06-2017 06:58 PM

@glatt - I thought the bag did have a temp rating - good catch. Thanks! I was also looking at these two. Wouldn't a blanket let in a breeze? Or expose me to buggies? Maybe I can hold it together using binder clips for the time being.

@lumberjim - it's not expensive. I can give it a shot.

I also realize I forgot a damn lantern!!

Maybe this one? Or this one?

sexobon 12-06-2017 07:31 PM

The sleeping bag labeled "these" is interesting because its Item Weight is 4.9 lbs. while its Shipping Weight is only 4.45 lbs. Must have some helium in the insulation that seeps out over time. I hope you don't wind up talking funny when you get up in the mornings.

bbro 12-07-2017 08:57 AM

Also, a possibly stupid question - how do you change clothes??

lumberjim 12-07-2017 11:57 AM

you don't. ever

glatt 12-07-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 999712)
Wouldn't a blanket let in a breeze? Or expose me to buggies? Maybe I can hold it together using binder clips for the time being.

There isn't much of a breeze in a tent. I have a sleeping bag and I usually unzip it and use it as a blanket unless it's really cold. And a trendy thing in backpacking these days is to get a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Lighter, compresses more, and with a pad underneath it keeps you warm. The reason I suggested blankets to you is that you already own them. Save some money until you figure things out.

If you have your heart set on getting a sleeping bag, that Coleman Palmetto you linked to looks like the best one you have posted.

bbro 12-07-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 999746)
There isn't much of a breeze in a tent. I have a sleeping bag and I usually unzip it and use it as a blanket unless it's really cold. And a trendy thing in backpacking these days is to get a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Lighter, compresses more, and with a pad underneath it keeps you warm. The reason I suggested blankets to you is that you already own them. Save some money until you figure things out.

If you have your heart set on getting a sleeping bag, that Coleman Palmetto you linked to looks like the best one you have posted.

I can do just a blanket for now. My first reservation is in April, so I don't need to worry about it being too cold. It's in the 40s and 50s at night then. Do you usually take pillows with you?

glatt 12-07-2017 01:32 PM

Car camping I absolutely take full size pillows off my bed at home. Backpacking, I have a small camping pillow that is really too big for that. I'm thinking of using just a stuff sack and putting my lightweight down jacket loosely in it to use as a pillow. Often you will have a fluffy fleece jacket or something like that you can use. Or splurge for an inflatable pillow. I haven't done that.

bbro 12-07-2017 01:56 PM

Cool. Thanks! What about the lanterns above? Any strong opinions? I am more included to the more expensive one because it is supposed to be all weather.

lumberjim 12-07-2017 02:23 PM

they both look tiny. 5"? it'll light your tent up, but not a campsite, I think.

glatt 12-07-2017 03:17 PM

The downside to lanterns is that they shoot light in all directions, including into your eyes, slightly blinding you. Do you have a flashlight? If you already have a flashlight, you don't need a lantern. Lanterns can be nice though, especially when they are somewhat directional and you can aim them where you want. I have a solar powered one that can be hung from a cord or a nail or something, and aim downward onto a table. It's pretty nice, but more expensive. Also, headlamps are very popular with solo backpackers, and for good reason. The light shines where you are looking, and you can keep your hands free. I don't care for headlamps in a Boy Scout camping trip because when you say something, all the boys look at you and you get a dozen lights shining in your eyes.

I have this lantern. It's not super bright, but lights up a tent or your table.

But looking for my lantern on Amazon, I came across these that look like they might be pretty good. They are bright and aim down so you aren't blinded. You can charge them at home or put them in the sun to charge. Supposedly they are also a power brick for you phone, but I bet that's BS. Phones need a lot of power.

Gravdigr 12-07-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 999758)
The downside to lanterns is that they shoot light in all directions, including into your eyes, slightly blinding you.

You ain't learned the aluminum foil trick yet?! Foil half the Coleman lantern, bam!, directional, non-blinding lantern.

And you call yourself a Boy Scout...:eyebrow::p:

lumberjim 12-07-2017 05:04 PM

Smrt

I have a plastic LED lamp that is shaped like a flying saucer. Lights in a ring on the bottom edge, hole in the center. Great for a tent. Or my basement steps.

Eta,

This

https://goo.gl/images/rkH322

bbro 12-07-2017 06:28 PM

I have a headlamp and a flashlight. I suppose I can hold off for now. The places I am going first have fire pits that I definitely plan to use. That could be enough for now. The total is still a little over 60 bucks. I think that's reasonable to start with.

Ok, so I'll buy:
- Tent
- Pad
- Crank charger

I still have to get:
- Boots (This month)
- Food (Closer to trip)
- Wood (On site)
- Biodegradable toilet paper

I have:
- Cookware
- Eating stuff
- Blanket
- Pillows
- Flashlight, headlamp
- Camping/Hiking clothes
- Shower stuff
- Bathroom stuff
- Camping chair
- Normal Hiking stuff
- Mini knife

What am I missing? Keeping in mind they're both drive up camping sites with potable water and bathroom facilities.

sexobon 12-07-2017 09:59 PM

About 25 ft. of nylon cord to string up as a clothesline to dry a washcloth and towel. String it doubled over and you can drape the items between them without clothespins. It can replace broken tent lines, provide additional tie downs if it gets windy, suspend the tent if a pole fails, tie food up out of reach of animals ... etc.

bbro 12-08-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 999775)
About 25 ft. of nylon cord to string up as a clothesline to dry a washcloth and towel. String it doubled over and you can drape the items between them without clothespins. It can replace broken tent lines, provide additional tie downs if it gets windy, suspend the tent if a pole fails, tie food up out of reach of animals ... etc.

Yes - I forgot about that. Added to the list.

I also think I am still going to buy a stove. Nothing too fancy, just for boiling water for when I don't want to make an entire fire too cook

glatt 12-08-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 999787)
I also think I am still going to buy a stove. Nothing too fancy, just for boiling water for when I don't want to make an entire fire too cook

http://a.co/6ZJ519U

You will be hard pressed to find a cheaper stove and this is a great choice for an individual person doing backpacking.

I don't have one personally because I always camp in groups and need a bigger stove, but if you are just boiling water in a small pot for one person, the stove linked above is a great choice.

bbro 12-08-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 999789)
http://a.co/6ZJ519U

You will be hard pressed to find a cheaper stove and this is a great choice for an individual person doing backpacking.

I don't have one personally because I always camp in groups and need a bigger stove, but if you are just boiling water in a small pot for one person, the stove linked above is a great choice.

Sounds good! If I keep it up with car camping, I might look into a portable gas stove or something, but for now, I think this will be sufficient.

I think the only things I am buying that are camping specific are the tent and sleeping pad. Anything else, I can use regardless of my future in camps.

Now, I just have to wait LOL!

Gravdigr 12-08-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 999790)
Now, I just have to wait LOL!

The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part. Tom Petty said so.

bbro 12-08-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 999793)
The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part. Tom Petty said so.

Luckily, I only have to wait until April. I booked my first site for then. It gives me time to practice food and maybe even check out the site before I get there.

sexobon 12-09-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 999616)
...Also, dried meals are disgusting and enough to put you off camping for life. ...

There are some really good ones out there. Availability is quite limited; also, you have to know what to look for. They come as entrees only (no side dishes, desserts, snacks, condiments; or, accessories); but, are satisfying and high enough in both protein and calories to constitute a full meal that sustains an active person. They're compactly packaged like a brick and reconstituted in their own packaging. Add hot water and in 10 minutes you have a hot meal (20 minutes with cold water). They are also exorbitantly expensive: with shipping charges they end up costing about $12.50 apiece (sorry for the let down). Just an FYI even though it's not for the typical camper.

Griff 12-11-2017 11:46 AM

I'm a big fan of Mountain House Chili Mac but yeah, stupid expensive.

xoxoxoBruce 12-11-2017 11:54 AM

$5.69 from Amazon for a tasty hot meal after running up and down mountains doesn't sound that expensive. :confused:

Griff 12-11-2017 01:01 PM

hmm... maybe I was mistaken on the cost.