The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Zero interest in Superbowl (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33320)

Griff 02-02-2018 04:34 PM

Zero interest in Superbowl

It's kinda funny because my watching wasn't impacted by the Colin vs murder vs Trump vs Blacks and the NFL thing.

No, it's the product. Instant replay has counter-intuitively made confidence in the game calling lower. I also can't enjoy a game involving the team not to be mentioned because I'll always doubt the integrity of what I'm seeing and suspect my emotions are being manipulated. It's like when you're a little kid and you realized wrestling is entertainment not sport.

Good luck Philly, Pete will be watching but I'm gonna find a good book.

fargon 02-02-2018 04:42 PM

Me too for the same reason.

monster 02-02-2018 07:03 PM

I just couldn't care less. I didn't know who was playing until earlier this afternoon when my friend was mentioned it.

BigV 02-02-2018 09:04 PM

Oh! Yeah, that's right. The thing.. Cool, I look forward to a youtube roll of the best commercials.

monster 02-02-2018 09:06 PM

I'd rather watch the game than the commercials though.....

fargon 02-02-2018 09:26 PM

The only reason to watch the Superbowl is the commercials.

Happy Monkey 02-02-2018 10:19 PM

But with the internet, you can see them the next day on Youtube.

xoxoxoBruce 02-02-2018 10:53 PM

I'll watch because... tradition/habit.
I've seen every one of them and we used to gather here until a couple years ago my buddy in NJ bought a ridiculously big screen. Then we moved the tradition to his house, but the next year when I went there, his neighbor said he was headed for my house. He forgot. :facepalm:

I'm a diehard football fan, I just haven't seen one game this season. Not just the Eagles, any game. :lol2:

Undertoad 02-03-2018 08:39 AM

This has been a remarkable year for the Eagles, and it's been a great year to be a fan of them. This is a team to root for. It's a team with enormous personality, working hard but having a ton of fun.

We wish for that sort of dynamic to happen in our own lives; this is where sports finds its most important role in our world, showing how it can be done.

Coach Doug Pederson is a guy who encouraged the team to improve through what owner Jeff Lurie calls "emotional intelligence". His predecessor was a genius football mind, trying to revolutionize the game, but could not work with pro players. After a while they abandoned him and his scheme fell to pieces.

At the start of this season, one sportswriter said of Pederson that he "might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen." And I think, the best boss I ever had in IT came from grocery store management. He managed 1000 part-timers before he ever managed anyone in an office. As a result, he was great at managing people in an office. People wanted to work for him, and they worked hard for him.

At work, I am at a startup run by a very bright founder, but he has zero emotional intelligence. He antagonizes everyone, and they become sad and less productive. All I wish for, all day, is a team. I wish for the tribal aspects of our humanity, brought to actually improve us instead of driving us apart. We CAN work together for a common goal. That's what we are meant to do in this world.

But not if we are led without emotional intelligence.

Go EAGLES!!!

Undertoad 02-03-2018 11:52 AM

And Griff, this was posted to the Steelers subreddit...

http://cellar.org/2017/steagles.jpg

(context: in 1943, for one year, due to the war effort, the two teams combined to form one team called the Steagles.)

Clodfobble 02-03-2018 01:18 PM

I have an ironclad Super Bowl tradition, going on a decade now.

First, every year, I silently marvel at the abnormally-low traffic, and wonder why. Then, I watch about 20 minutes of the third quarter in a Mexican restaurant in Houston, TX. I try to avoid the bartender's small talk, but inevitably reveal that I don't know who is playing. Then I drive about 2.5 hours, and Mr. Clod tells me who won (which he read on the internet.) I say, "Ah. Okay." Finally, with another year's exhausting but thrilling championship complete, I go to bed.

monster 02-03-2018 01:42 PM

:lol:

But this year you won't be wondering why the traffic is quiet because thanks to the amazing technology that brought you The Cellar and your incredible cognitive capabilities and memory for minutiae, you'll figure it out!

Carruthers 02-03-2018 02:54 PM

FWIW I was watching TV earlier and was surprised to see a trailer for the game which is being shown live on BBC1 at 2315. I won't be staying up!

Gravdigr 02-03-2018 04:21 PM

I would not begrudge Philly a SuperBowl.

fargon 02-03-2018 06:23 PM

WHS^^^