The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick, everyone change positions. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33888)

Griff 11-20-2018 05:13 PM

Quick, everyone change positions.

Emails don't matter!
Emails matter!

Undertoad 11-20-2018 05:16 PM

Wait let me try

Emails matter!
Emails don't matter!

got it

Griff 11-20-2018 05:22 PM

See, that wasn't so hard.

Undertoad 11-20-2018 05:27 PM

Emails kinda matter like you are supposed to wear your badge on display at all times while in the building and official policy is everyone is supposed to report you if you don't but the loose defacto badge policy is some people give a crap and wear the badge visibly but others just put it in their pocket and nobody reports anybody because why would you?

sexobon 11-20-2018 06:34 PM

No one wants to be badgered.

tw 11-20-2018 07:53 PM

Honest people post openly. Emails are for the many who fear to admit their conclusions. Or are trying to form one.

xoxoxoBruce 11-20-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1019278)
See, that wasn't so hard.

Hard doesn't matter.
No, hard matters, actually hard is crucial. :yesnod:

Griff 11-21-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1019290)
Honest people post openly. Emails are for the many who fear to admit their conclusions. Or are trying to form one.

No. I'm just noting the way the wind is blowing.
Hillary's email matters and Ivanka's email matters or Hillary's email doesn't matter and Ivanka's email doesn't matter.

Griff 11-21-2018 06:19 AM

As someone who has shitty email at work I get the frustration with using crap systems. As a rule follower I use the crappy system. If I were engaged in corruption like rigging elections or taking bribes, I'd have another reason to use an outside system

Undertoad 11-21-2018 06:44 AM

Next level, level 2

Free trade between nations enriches both sides
Trade protectionism saves jobs

your turn

Griff 11-21-2018 06:47 AM

Trade protectionism saves jobs

ouchie bro

Undertoad 11-22-2018 11:39 AM

People are all the same
Diversity is our strength

this is not really the same sort of point though

tw 11-22-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1019312)

Free trade gamefully employs and enriches custom officers. With the current president, customs are only getting richer. Or playing more games.

anonymous 11-22-2018 05:29 PM

Sometimes you want to go. Where everybody knows your name.

(no one said the change had to be entirely articulated)

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2018 09:23 PM

Clever. ;)

Griff 11-23-2018 07:24 AM

How's about
Executive Orders get things done.
Executive Orders subvert Congressional powers.

monster 11-23-2018 05:12 PM

disappointed. Thought this was going to be an orgy thread

sexobon 11-23-2018 09:34 PM

At least Naked Twister; but, nooooooo.

Griff 11-24-2018 09:16 AM

Nobody enforces a no drift rule here, have at.

monster 11-24-2018 07:34 PM

Right boob or left ball on red

Griff 11-24-2018 10:22 PM

Tongue on blue.

sexobon 11-24-2018 10:24 PM

Cock or couter on yellow.

Gravdigr 11-25-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1019543)
Tongue on blue.

You mean pink.:eaty:

BigV 11-26-2018 08:35 PM

Yes, PYNK.

BigV 11-26-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1019543)
Tongue on blue.

ya might want to loosen that strap...

Gravdigr 11-27-2018 06:06 PM

Big Bad Wolf reference @ 1:02!!!!!

sexobon 12-16-2018 01:54 PM

He's a hero
He's not a hero
He's a murderer
He's a hero

Oh, the complexities of war.

The government keeps changing its position. What say the governed?

Quote:

Trump says he’ll review case of Matt Golsteyn, a Special Forces veteran who faces murder charge

… President Trump tweeted Sunday … “At the request of many, I will be reviewing the case of a ‘U.S. Military hero,’ Major Matt Golsteyn, who is charged with murder,” Trump tweeted. “He could face the death penalty from our own government after he admitted to killing a Terrorist bomb maker while overseas.”

Former Army Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn was notified Thursday by the Army that he will face one charge of murder, his attorney and the Army said. The military has been investigating him since 2011, when Army officials said he confessed during a polygraph test as part of a CIA job interview to killing the suspected bombmaker in February 2010. …

… The service dropped its investigation in 2014 but reopened it in 2016, after Golsteyn said during a Fox News interview that he had killed a bombmaker who had been held as a detainee for fear that he would target Afghans helping U.S. troops if he were let go.

Golsteyn, a 2002 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., was lauded for his performance in Afghanistan as the commander of a team from 3rd Special Forces Group in the Battle of Marja. Some 15,000 coalition troops fought to take back a poppy-laden section of Helmand province that was controlled by the Taliban and laced with explosives.

On Feb. 20, 2010, Golsteyn repeatedly braved enemy fire after watching a Taliban sniper nearly hit a nearby Marine, launching a mission to kill the insurgent and coordinating numerous airstrikes, according to a military summary of his actions. He was later awarded the Silver Star for valor, and the Army was considering upgrading the award to the Distinguished Service Cross — one step down from the Medal of Honor — when the allegations against Golsteyn emerged.

The accusations center on actions two days earlier. Two Marines — Sgt. Jeremy R. McQueary, 27, and Lance Cpl. Larry M. Johnson, 19 — were killed and others were wounded by a garage door booby-trapped with explosives, prompting a search of nearby homes in which Golsteyn’s unit found bomb-making materials and a suspected bombmaker, according to results of an investigation released to The Washington Post through the Freedom of Information Act in 2015.

Golsteyn later recounted during his CIA job interview that the U.S. troops detained the man and brought him back to their base, who unexpectedly crossed paths with an Afghan tribal leader with whom Golsteyn’s team was working. When the leader expressed fear for his life, Golsteyn said he grew concerned about the consequences of letting the suspected insurgent go, Army documents said.

“CPT Golsteyn stated he had no qualms about what he did because he couldn’t have lived with himself if [the suspected bombmaker] killed another Soldier or Marine,” an Army investigator’s summary of Golsteyn’s polygraph test said.

The Army dropped Golsteyn from the Special Forces in 2015 and stripped him of the Silver Star, but ultimately dropped the criminal investigation against him and let him leave the service with military benefits. The service accused him in a June 2015 administrative hearing of violating the law of armed conflict, but a panel of officers determined that was unsubstantiated. It instead recommended separating him from the military for conduct unbecoming an officer with a general discharge under honorable conditions. ...

xoxoxoBruce 12-18-2018 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I suspect he's not the first or last to have exceeded his authority doing what had to be done.

Griff 12-20-2018 06:12 AM

I'm with Trumpy on Syria. He's likely dead wrong and doing it for the wrong reasons but someday we have to pull back, Forever War is not an actual functional foreign policy.

Gravdigr 12-25-2018 11:29 AM

Forever War - sounds like a Shatner novel.

Or the new store in the mall.

Griff 12-25-2018 12:04 PM

Joe Haldeman actually. Definitely worth a read.

Gravdigr 12-26-2018 11:50 AM

No shit? I'll look into it.

From wiki:

Quote:

Haldeman received a letter from Robert Heinlein congratulating him on his Nebula Award, which "meant more than the award itself". According to author Spider Robinson, Heinlein approached Haldeman at the awards banquet and said the book "may be the best future war story I've ever read!"
Dayum.

glatt 12-27-2018 08:06 PM

I've read it. It's good.

Happy Monkey 12-29-2018 11:35 AM

Another +1 for "Forever War".

Gravdigr 12-29-2018 12:16 PM

I guess it's done then. I was gonna use my library more this coming year. This might be my next library book.

Clodfobble 12-29-2018 11:46 PM

Do it. I, too, enjoyed it, and I'm picky about my sci-fi.

richlevy 01-02-2019 10:24 PM

Great book. I love the part where due to relativity he would travel forward in time and experience the social evolution on Earth. Picture a soldier from the Revolutionary War mixing with soldiers from the Vietnam War.

Gravdigr 01-11-2019 10:59 AM

Damn, it's Rich Levy!

Griff 01-18-2019 01:36 PM

Okay folks let's all change our positions on impeachment articles.

The president obstructed justice in an effort to delay, impede, cover up and conceal the existence of evidence related to the Jones case.

Gravdigr 01-22-2019 01:21 PM

I'm feelin it.

Not reeeally.

sexobon 01-26-2019 09:54 AM

A purveyor of fake news has changed its position:

Quote:

British paper apologizes to Melania Trump, pays 'substantial damages' over article

London's Daily Telegraph apologized to first lady Melania Trump on Saturday and said it had agreed to pay her "substantial damages" for publishing false statements regarding her family and her modeling career.

"We apologise unreservedly to The First Lady and her family for any embarrassment caused by our publication of these allegations," the newspaper wrote Saturday. "As a mark of our regret we have agreed to pay Mrs. Trump substantial damages as well as her legal costs." ...

Undertoad 05-07-2019 08:30 PM

Russia must be prevented from using social media to interfere with our elections
I'm sure glad social media i.e. Twitter banned the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Parody account

tw 05-08-2019 09:49 AM

Melania Trump did something? Did it involve talking?

Griff 05-10-2019 11:31 AM

Pompeo is Hillary on Iran, check your positions.

Griff 05-10-2019 04:03 PM

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/201...3501557497038/

May 10 (UPI) -- The Defense Department has dispatched two more B-52s and a Marine expeditionary unit to the Middle East amid growing tensions with Iran.

Griff 10-03-2019 09:59 AM

The Supreme Court is about to get rolling. It's time to rotate positions on "activist judges" and settled law.

Griff 10-25-2019 06:27 AM

"My" GOP representative has rotated to closed hearings are bad mmm..kay. To be fair, he's in a district so red there's always someone worse running a sweep right and he is post-Benghazi.

Clodfobble 10-25-2019 09:36 AM

Meanwhile, Jeff Flake claims that at least 35 GOP senators would vote to remove Trump if the vote were made secret. Absolute cowardice.

tw 10-25-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1040370)
Absolute cowardice.

And absolute honesty. But you are not ready to admit how corrupt this guy has been all his adult life. Again, it is what has changed in America. He insults people. He grabs women's cunts. He can even shoot someone on Fifth Ave and still get elected. Extremism is now so rampant. So what has always been anti-social and corrupt behavior is now acceptable.

Why do you even endorse ethnic cleansing of Kurds? It is what has changed and is now acceptable.

henry quirk 10-25-2019 12:02 PM

"He grabs women's cunts."

I'm offended.

Call them vajayjays yayas, please.

henry quirk 10-25-2019 12:02 PM

Jeff Flake

:crazy:

Clodfobble 10-25-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw
But you are not ready to admit how corrupt this guy has been all his adult life... Why do you even endorse ethnic cleansing of Kurds?

Dude, I say this with all the empathy in the world--you're having a rough week. You either weren't paying attention who you're talking to, or you've completely misconstrued my position in your mind. Take some deep breaths.

sexobon 10-25-2019 06:32 PM

That's not Dude, that's tw. The poor fellow is confused enough without you and your Jedi mind tricks.

tw 10-25-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1040382)
You either weren't paying attention who you're talking to, or you've completely misconstrued my position in your mind.

I have read your previous posts - with praise for The Don and for the people who support and praise him.

If you do not condom what The Don does and believes, then post it.

Meanwhile I say again, due to so many right wingers who blindly believe (with anger and threats) what they are told to believe. The Don (and his peers) have successfully even driven moderates out of the Republican party.

That Frontline piece demonstrates it clearly with a backstabbing of Eric Cantor - the House Majority leader. Same later happened to John Boehner. Because the party is now dominated by people who are told who to hate. Use hate to attract supporters. And do so with vindication only because they are told to. Inspired by a leader who is very good at promoting himself using hostility, insults, and constant lies.

(If) That being your other point: as I said, I agreed with the conclusion. But I do not believe (or know) if you believe or understand the reasons why. Since you have expressed agreement with The Don. Do not openly criticize him. And should.

Clodfobble 10-26-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw
I have read your previous posts - with praise for The Don and for the people who support and praise him.

You're insane. Trump is a misogynist, racist, narcissistic old man who's lost touch with reality both because of his wealth and his declining cognition. I've never suggested otherwise.

Perhaps you're confused because I recently called GOP senators who wanted a secret vote cowards. They are cowards--they should stand up for what they believe in.

sexobon 10-26-2019 10:12 AM

What kind of Tomfoolery is this?

tw 10-26-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1040404)
Perhaps you're confused because I recently called GOP senators who wanted a secret vote cowards. They are cowards--they should stand up for what they believe in.

Well this is a revelation. Since I only saw plenty of right wing recommendations under your name. But then you may have posted those characterizations elsewhere. I don't participate in all boards.

But yes. Anyone who disagrees with your accurate characterization must be doing the ostrich thing.

BTW, he never lost touch with reality. He has always been that way. He even trades in used wives when they get too old. And has a long history of doing things to women that Harvey Weinstein also did. Harvey was probably more prolific because he had better access. His business practices have always been to screw his counterparties. So he had lawyers such as Cohen. Even attacks his people that he once praised - once they are also used up or tell him truths.

He was never an honest businessman or safe among women. He did not change. He has always been that way. He could even shoot someone on Fifth Ave - just like any other Mafia Don.

Understand what has changed in the Republican party. A massive misinformation machine exists. See the example of Eric Cantor who should have won his reelection by 30 point. And then this massive Limbaugh, Fox, Hannity, Breitbart. Engles misinformation (propaganda) machine targeted him.

sexobon 10-27-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1040408)
Well this is a revelation. ...

For his next trick, tw will come down from on high and give us ten commandments.

tw 10-27-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1040447)
For his next trick, tw will come down from on high and give us ten commandments.

Already in the mail

Griff 12-04-2019 02:39 PM

Okay so now Republicans support the Imperial Presidency and the Democrats oppose the Imperial Presidency. Interesting times.