The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Big Bumper Thread of Stand-up Comedy (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29953)

DanaC 06-08-2014 02:09 PM

From 2012, Montreal - John Oliver comperes on The decline of the American Empire.

The comedians he introduces from 10 mins in are funny as well.

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Clodfobble 06-09-2014 09:55 AM

So I did this thing.

Remember a month ago, when I said that if I were going to attempt a profession other than my own, it would be stand up comedy? Well my life philosophy has always been, if you want it just go fucking do it. So I wrote some material, and last night I went and performed at Open Mic Night at the comedy club here in town.

It was seriously fun. It's hard to gauge when you're performing, but out of 25 performers I was definitely in the top 5 as far as number of laughs. Granted, several people were completely terrified to be on stage and abandoned ship even before their 4 minutes were up, and at least half of them brought a set list on stage with them to remind them what joke came next, so I obviously wasn't among professionals. But still, I was pretty proud of how I did.

There were a few drawbacks. The club has a 2-item minimum, which goes for anyone who sits in a chair, either in the showroom or at the bar. Performers are only exempt if they stand along the side aisle. Still easily able to see the stage, so not completely sequestered, but I was nonetheless standing in heels for 2 and a half hours.

I wish I'd had the courage to ask one of the other performers to record my set on my phone, but no one else did and it felt too weird. But I'm totally going to do it again.

glatt 06-09-2014 10:11 AM

I'd love to see that if you do. You have big courage.

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2014 10:57 AM

Wow, the one thing people consistently ranked as a higher fear that death. Kudos, should we start writing jokes for you? Maybe someone recorded it and will youtube it. Naw, even if they did how would you ever find it.

limey 06-09-2014 11:22 AM

Kudos to you! Well done!

Sent by thought transference

Clodfobble 06-09-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Wow, the one thing people consistently ranked as a higher fear that death. Kudos, should we start writing jokes for you? Maybe someone recorded it and will youtube it. Naw, even if they did how would you ever find it.

To be fair, public speaking in and of itself has never bothered me. I did lots of theatre and have a strong attention whore streak. Even if no one laughed at all, I had the set memorized backwards and forwards so I knew I could get through it, at least. But I know for sure no one was recording, it was a small audience of basically no one except friends of performers, and you would have been able to see a glowing phone screen in the dark.

Sundae 06-09-2014 12:25 PM

Wow. Public speaking I can do. And in group interviews/ training sessions I always get volunteered to present results/ be the spokesperson.

But stand up?
Ohnonononono.

Please to do again and film this time.
(Wear flats and change before going onstage next time)

lumberjim 06-10-2014 07:56 AM

I'm impressed. Congrats on coming up big against your voice of reason. Awesome that you actually enjoyed it. I can't wait for the video.

DanaC 06-20-2014 03:45 PM

I missed this somehow!

Go ComedyClod!

That's really exciting.

DanaC 06-20-2014 04:02 PM

Sean Lock.

Clodfobble 06-20-2014 04:56 PM

Moshe Kasher. I've watched many well-known comedians do improvised sets in this particular program, and many do not do nearly as well as you might expect. Moshe blows it away. (NSFW language)

Another awesome one. Again, not for the employed:

DanaC 06-24-2014 03:16 PM

Oh they were excellent. I've seen some comedians I love not really coping well with the Set List.

DanaC 06-24-2014 03:29 PM

Stephen K Amos - funny guy:

And Reginald D Hunter - brilliant comedian and completely adorable (may have posted this before - but can't be arsed checking the funny vids thread!)

DanaC 06-24-2014 03:49 PM

This chick is awesome:

DanaC 06-24-2014 03:56 PM

Last one then I stop (or at least pause :p)

Rich Hall