The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you let your kids dye their hair? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32894)

Iggy 06-30-2017 01:11 PM

Do you let your kids dye their hair?

A while back there was a news story about a girl with "unicorn hair". The mom got a lot of back lash for dying her daughters hair like that.

Link to the mom's Instagram.

When I was in high school, my Dad let me dye my hair all kinds of colors. I bleached it and dyed it myself. Pink, purple, green, green with pink streaks, blue with green streaks, purple with blue streaks, pink with purple streaks... many different versions. I even was called the "green haired girl" because I changed schools in my Junior year and didn't know anyone. My hair stood out. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but really only got a year out of it before I had to dye it brown to get a job.

My daughter is 4 years old. Naturally blonde. She loves pink (like many girls do). She has asked me at length for pink hair. I'm considering giving her temporary pink hair dye. No bleach, and starting out with streaks of the temporary pink to see if she likes it. At first I thought she was too young, but really, when is the best time to experiment with fun colors? When she gets older the schools probably won't allow it. When she is an adult she most likely won't be able to do it with her job (unless she lucks out and finds an employer that doesn't judge, or possibly decides to be a stay at home mom). Since I'm not applying "harsh" dyes, just temporary ones, I don't see the harm. I think she will love it.

I'm curious... any dwellers ever considered doing something similar with your kids? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Pico and ME 06-30-2017 01:53 PM

These days, hair coloring is like tattooing without the long term permanence. I would prefer to advise temporary dyeing (no matter what age) as a way to experiment with the different colors and learn about how you feel about it.

Your daughters very light blond hair makes this really easy to do. Go for it. Perhaps it will giver her an early feel into the transitional reality of appearance.

Griff 06-30-2017 02:13 PM

Mine never asked, so I don't know.

Clodfobble 06-30-2017 02:26 PM

My kids' school wouldn't allow it, but I would let them do the wash-out kind if they wanted.

classicman 06-30-2017 06:52 PM

Mine are all much older ... not up to me anymore.

monster 06-30-2017 11:06 PM

Given that my hair is purple, blue and red it would be kind of hypocritical not to allow them to :D two of them did. Once. They're all swimmers/water poloists so it's really kind of pointless. Of course this is historical now -two are adults

Gravdigr 07-01-2017 01:38 PM

I always enjoyed seeing what color Sundae's hair was on any given day...

monster 07-01-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 991586)
These days, hair coloring is like tattooing without the long term permanence. I would prefer to advise temporary dyeing (no matter what age) as a way to experiment with the different colors and learn about how you feel about it.

Your daughters very light blond hair makes this really easy to do. Go for it. Perhaps it will giver her an early feel into the transitional reality of appearance.

temporary dyes have a tendency to be kind of permanent on blondes, so IMO you either go for it or you don't ...but always remember -like P&me said- hair grows out. :D Summer break is the perfect time to play. We definitely see more rainbows and mohawks round here over the break

Pico and ME 07-01-2017 08:16 PM

I sort of wondered about that...so it doesn't fade all the way? But still, I would think it would be easy to change up colors with lighter hair.

monster 07-01-2017 08:36 PM

No, it kind of leaves them looking gray, mostly. And permanent dyes do fade with sun and chlorine.... but are generally brighter to start with and last a little longer

Dude111 07-09-2017 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Mine never asked, so I don't know.

I picked NO on the poll as I dont have any..... (Ah man!!)

Paul582 07-27-2017 06:42 AM

Yes but temporary dyes, because they are very young (3 and 5). I see no problem with it and the girls love it. If your daughter loves pink then go for it and dye her hair. She will be delighted.

Gravdigr 07-27-2017 03:24 PM

:welcome: to the Cellar, Paul!

Dude111 07-30-2017 11:18 PM

Welcome ashore Paul!!!!!!