The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Trains... Choo Choo, not the dirty kind. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31348)

Carruthers 02-10-2017 09:54 AM

Heavens, it’s a small world!

Little Kimble station is just three miles from here.
For many years the station itself was closed although the station buildings became a private dwelling and trains continued to run between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury.
I can’t remember how long ago it was when the station came back into use but I wonder how it affected the occupants of the house.
Having said that, while there are comparatively few passenger services, the track is used extensively by trains taking London’s domestic waste to a landfill site at the old brickworks quarry at Calvert north of Aylesbury.
On a warm day those wagons do NOT smell of roses so a few passengers wandering past your window are probably a minor inconvenience.

The suggestions that the name should be changed to Big Kimble or Large Kimble would cause a certain amount of confusion as there is already a Great Kimble a short distance away!

Last, but by no means least, it was good to see Sundae’s brother in the video. She’d often talk about Steven but I’ve never met him.

BigV 02-10-2017 10:05 AM

Hi Carruthers

It's good to hear from you again. You've been missed. Welcome back. :)

xoxoxoBruce 02-10-2017 10:26 AM

:celebrat: CARRUTHERS! Missed you, Sir. :welcome:

Carruthers 02-10-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 981715)
Hi Carruthers

It's good to hear from you again. You've been missed. Welcome back. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 981716)
:celebrat: CARRUTHERS! Missed you, Sir. :welcome:

Thank you, Gentlemen. It's good to be back! :thumb:

Gravdigr 02-10-2017 11:56 PM

Very good to have you back Carruthers!

Carruthers 02-11-2017 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 981737)
Very good to have you back Carruthers!

Thank you, Mr. G! Much appreciated!

fargon 02-11-2017 06:43 AM

Where have you been? you have to explain your absence.
Welcome Home Carruthers!!!

Carruthers 02-11-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 981742)
Where have you been? you have to explain your absence.
Welcome Home Carruthers!!!

Thanks for the welcome home, fargon!

After Sundae passed away, I thought I would take an indeterminate break from the Cellar but, as you can see, I've been lured back to this haven of (in)sanity. ;)

All the best,

Carruthers.

Undertoad 02-11-2017 09:39 AM

Glad for it! We are far improved with your presence, sir!

Carruthers 02-11-2017 09:49 AM

Ta! :thumb:

Griff 02-12-2017 09:05 AM

How cool is all of this? Very cool indeed!

xoxoxoBruce 02-12-2017 09:35 AM

Undertoads global reach puts Putin and Trump to shame. :haha:

xoxoxoBruce 02-13-2017 01:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another cool steam engine, the last one Union Pacific bought. It was converted from coal to oil, demoted from passenger to freight service, used as an experimental ice and snow melter, then used for PR and special requests. It's still in service for UP, and their last Steam Engine on the books.

Quote:

The Union Pacific 844 is the last steam engine the company built, and it represented the epitome of steam locomotive technology. The 844 rolled out of American Locomotive Company’s (Alco) factory in December 1944. It was the result of seven years of development on UP’s new 800-series and focused heavily on efficiency and speed to combat the new diesel-electric locomotives that were on the rise with their unrelenting fuel economy and reduced downtime. The bed of the firebox and boiler were cast with the chassis as one piece instead of building the locomotive on a riveted frame—much like the difference between a stiff supercar monocoque and a floppy pickup ladder frame. This not only strengthened the 844 as a whole but also reduced its weight significantly, because portions of the drive cylinders and valves, various air channels for the firebox, and the cab floor were integral to the chassis.
This was important, as the 800-series was built to hustle passengers all throughout the Midwest, anywhere from Chicago to Los Angeles, at speeds up to 110 mph. Think about that for a second—just the engine and tender of the 844 weigh almost 1-million pounds (454 tons) along with the added weight of the passenger cars behind it.
link

Griff 02-13-2017 06:30 AM

High speed rail... we had that.

xoxoxoBruce 02-21-2017 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Life was good...