The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Clutter-weeding ... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21781)

limey 01-02-2010 01:18 PM

Clutter-weeding ...

I'll just put this in here, where it'll be out of the way ... in case I need it someday ...

Today's result: One empty drawer.
To bin - assorted keys to I don't know what, a teeny tiny funnel, a scuzzy room-fragrancer oil burner thang (yuk)
To burn, ceremonially - my late brother's dope pipe (I'm not going to use it ...)
To charity shop - one unused scrapbook
To ebay - one Armenian duduk which I'm never going to learn to play.
Moved to other locations - small notepad (empty), diary (part full), business-card wallet.

Clodfobble 01-02-2010 01:30 PM

Go limey! One drawer at a time, you can do it!

limey 01-02-2010 01:43 PM

Thank you Clod :blush:!
I just feel the house is choked with stuff, and so am I.
It felt so good when I emptied a little box of crap that I'd been keeping because I was keeping it, and then fixed the box and put it to better use. I thought "I could enjoy getting that feeling now and again".
Now I have a whole empty drawer ... (I wonder what I can put in it :cool:)

Juniper 01-02-2010 01:53 PM

I would like to do the same thing. Problem is, I have an entire house full of crap and the amount of labor it would take to pack up and transport it all to the proper destination (donation, garbage, ebay, etc.) is just so overwhelming!

I have a huge pile of donation stuff in my garage and also in my mom's condo garage. A few months ago I resolved to take one car load of it a couple times a week to the Goodwill drop-off on my way to school, but I didn't. This quarter I don't have to go in till 12:30 three days a week, so I'll have much better chance of doing it, at least with this pile at our own house.

And I have so much to add to it.

A lot of it, I think, could be sold on ebay - but that would take time and energy I don't have. At least I can use the charity deduction on my taxes.

This will be the year I simplify my life and get rid of all our unnecessary crap!

I say that every year . . . . . ;)

jinx 01-02-2010 01:57 PM

Way to go limey!
Ever hear of Fly Lady? I've used some of her tips in the past and fall back on them when things start to get out of control - although I refuse to keep my kitchen sink clean and dry and don't wear shoes in the house. The "fill a trash bag with crap in 15 minutes" is brilliant though. I made my kids do that in their rooms just this morning...

limey 01-02-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 622755)
I would like to do the same thing. Problem is, I have an entire house full of crap and the amount of labor it would take to pack up and transport it all to the proper destination (donation, garbage, ebay, etc.) is just so overwhelming!

Yabbut, yabbut ... so do I. The thought of clearing the whole house is daunting to the point of not being doable. Which is why I've done a box (measuring 12" by 8" by 4", I should add!) and a drawer. Baby-steps, bite size chunks ...

And jinx, yes I've heard of the fly lady, but she's a bit too regimented for my liking. Then again, as with all this stuff, you pick what works for you and leave the rest, I suppose.

Cloud 01-02-2010 02:19 PM

Fly Lady is great! "progress, not perfection!"

monster 01-02-2010 07:07 PM

limey (et al).....

you should set up a site like this

http://sendmesomething.org/

(orig posted in wtf thread. it's sfw.)

limey 01-03-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 622821)
limey (et al).....

you should set up a site like this

http://sendmesomething.org/

(orig posted in wtf thread. it's sfw.)

In another life maybe - I need to do this on my schedule, and not have lots of post arriving at the house, either :headshake ... It's bad enough having to work out the postage rates on the stuff I ebay - I've burned myself more than once on that :yelsick:!

limey 01-03-2010 08:58 AM

So ... while I was in the mood, I had a look in the bureau desk. This is much more difficult as it is a repository of reminders of dead relatives (a reliquary, I suppose).
I have moved usable stationery to the stationery storage place.
Tested all writing implements and binned those that don't work, while putting those that do where the pens live.
Binned all unusable/irrelevant papers.
Moved three diaries to the diary storage place.
Left all the relics where they are, for now. Maybe this should become the main reliquary in the house?

TheMercenary 01-03-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 622755)
At least I can use the charity deduction on my taxes.

BINGO! Better take advantage of it before the government removes it from being an option. We have donated thousand of dollars worth of stuff that way. Including two cars.

limey 01-04-2010 12:53 PM

Today I tackled my laptop bag:
threw away fistfuls of junk mail
banked 4 cheques (oops) for a voluntary organisation I involuntarily am involved with (this involvement is another piece of clutter I'm getting rid of!)
did a little involuntary voluntary book-keeping
drafted an email to get me out of involuntary voluntary involvement with said organisation ...

Sundae 01-05-2010 11:09 AM

Keep it up Limey!
I've no idea how I'll keep on top of things when I move out of here. I might need a regular Cellar reminder (Mum told me to empty my wastepaper bin today... felt like a teenager again, but she was right)

skysidhe 01-05-2010 10:28 PM

Good stuff limey.

You're spring cleaning already!

monster 01-05-2010 10:58 PM

Spring cleaning is bullshit. I have natural urges to Autumn Clean and Even New Year Clean....but come Spring, fuck the inside of the house, I need to get out of it....