The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Off Year Election (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33849)

Griff 11-06-2018 06:03 PM

Off Year Election

First straight ticket ballot of my life. Yes, I actually do think Trump is a fascist. Now I have to mend fences with my true believer neighbors.

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2018 06:22 PM

Why, did they come in the voting booth with You?

Griff 11-06-2018 07:26 PM

Actual yard signs and talking.

Dude111 11-06-2018 09:38 PM

Any one wanna guess who might win?? (RED/BLUE)

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2018 10:29 PM

Either way, we lose. :rolleyes:

Dude111 11-07-2018 12:48 AM

Ya thats true!!

sexobon 11-07-2018 05:37 AM

Unfortunately, it's a hollow victory with the Republicans controlling the Senate. It's not even very symbolic since many people vote to keep one party from controlling both the Presidency and Congress to maintain a balance of power between parties.

Then there's the problem of Democrats quickly getting to in house fighting and turf wars. Neither Clinton nor Obama could get their party to focus on universal healthcare when they had the chance. Obama couldn't even get it done before he lost the Dem majority.

OTOH, placebos can make people feel better (right up to their demise). As usual, we'll wait and see; but, I think those going for broke and voting a straight ticket are going to remain broke.

Griff 11-07-2018 06:27 AM

It is better than the GOP holding all three branches unchallenged. The GOP House was a shitstorm with no adults in the room. Now if Trump wants, they could actually work on infrastructure and defend Social Security and Medicare.

My pipe dream that Democrats could learn to recognize the abuse of Executive power is unlikely as is my hope that Pelosi just goes away due to her symbolic value to Republicans.

Diaphone Jim 11-07-2018 10:48 AM

Trump won, plain and simple.
After two years of vandalizing the country, he and his backers got more support, not less.

Happy Monkey 11-07-2018 12:01 PM

Most of the bipartisan rules are gone in the Senate, so the effective difference between 51 and 54 Republicans is minimal. The House is important. Plus the Republicans lost a bunch of governors and state houses.

fargon 11-07-2018 12:17 PM

At least Mr Evers will fix the road's, and not borrow money to do it.

glatt 11-07-2018 01:12 PM

I think Trump is secretly glad the Dems wrestled control of the House.

He loves blaming others for all problems, and while the most gullible of his supporters bought that shit when he was doing it with full control of all 3 branches of government, now that he faces some actual opposition, his accusations of obstructionism by Democrats will actually have some merit. The Democrats WILL obstruct him and he WILL blame them for it.

Dude111 11-07-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim
Trump won, plain and simple.
After two years of vandalizing the country, he and his backers got more support, not less.

Well they lost some seats right??? I mean the DEMS have the house again..

Undertoad 11-07-2018 04:01 PM

Normally, at midterms, the party in power loses; so as a mere referendum on Trump, this was a fail, and suggests 2020 will not be an easy D win, unless things change (which they always do).

It was a win for the Merkin public, which generally votes to balance the situation - balance is good - and despite tribalism, it seems it has done so this time. So I'ma call that good

This was similar to Reagan '82, Clinton '98 and Obama '10.

Happy Monkey 11-07-2018 05:07 PM

I wonder if we can get partisan redistricting declared unconstitutional if enough Democratic states do it, now that they took state houses before the census.