The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP, famous person (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24383)

orthodoc 10-02-2013 10:52 AM

Oh no ...
RIP, Tom Clancy.

plthijinx 10-02-2013 10:59 AM

I read a few of his novels whilst on my "hiatus from society", one of them twice. But, as always, the books are always better than the movie.

limegreenc 10-02-2013 11:13 AM

For the past 10? years, Clancy has used other writers to make his money. Yes he created the outlines, but it was HIS name at the top of the page. Yes a fabulous storyteller also great film adaptions.

Pete Zicato 10-02-2013 02:35 PM

That is some crazy synchronicity. I just pulled out Red Storm Rising a couple of nights ago to re-read. I'm up to the Iceland thing.

plthijinx 10-02-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 878152)
That is some crazy synchronicity. I just pulled out Red Storm Rising a couple of nights ago to re-read. I'm up to the Iceland thing.

second time huh? that good? i haven't read it yet. in fact, i haven't read any clancy since my hiatus.

orthodoc 10-02-2013 06:27 PM

This thread reminds me that I should look up Tom Clancy on amazon and order a few of his titles for my father, who loves political thrillers. I'm immigrating my Dad at the beginning of November, but for this month he's stressed with getting ready and could use some brain candy.

limegreenc 10-02-2013 09:46 PM

He is way over my head...but I enjoyed the movie "hunt for red October with alec Baldwin and sean connery

Pete Zicato 10-02-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 878171)
second time huh? that good? i haven't read it yet. in fact, i haven't read any clancy since my hiatus.

It's the sort of thing Clancy does so well. The intermingling of a dozen story lines. He leaves you at a cliff hanger and switches to another thread. It keeps you turning pages. I also like the hardware details he throws in. Aircraft, submarines, whatever. He does his research.

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 10:30 AM

I've read several of his books, always a good read.

LOVED 'The Hunt For Red October'.

RIP Mr. Clancy.

Undertoad 10-03-2013 02:29 PM

What did he die of?

glatt 10-03-2013 02:41 PM

That's the question. I'm not seeing it reported in all the two articles I skimmed.

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 02:47 PM

FFS...This is from everyjoe.com, and is just ridiculous:

Quote:

As you’ve undoubtedly heard, legendary author Tom Clancy has died. He was just 66 years old. While an illness is said to be the official cause of death, that hasn’t stopped the internet from throwing around alternative speculation.

Could Tom Clancy have been murdered by people within the federal government? One theory goes that the author was too good at predicting events and had become a threat to the nation. This man predicted everything from 9/11 to the Bin Laden raid with razor-like accuracy. To silence him, the feds had him killed — and they did so during the shutdown of the government so that as few people as possible could potentially ruin the plot … so says this theory.

Or, could he have committed suicide? Maybe he utilized his amazing speculative ability and saw something disastrous coming. Thus, in order to avoid a more painful demise, he decided to bow out gracefully now.

Personally, I believe the official word that his health failed. Some say it’s fishy that this illness took him so quickly — but that happens all the time, unfortunately.

Regardless of the manner, I hope you rest in peace, Tom Clancy.
:facepalm:

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 02:55 PM

FWIW, it's been my experience that "after a brief illness" usually refers to cancer.

Fuck cancer.

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 02:56 PM

66 yr old male...Ima guess prostate/colon cancer.

glatt 10-03-2013 03:09 PM

He looked like he was in his 60's when I started reading his stuff 20 years ago. He never looked very healthy.