The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

footfootfoot 10-08-2008 09:14 PM

What's scorching your groove today?

spill.

lumberjim 10-08-2008 10:23 PM

my dvd burner is untrustworthy

footfootfoot 10-08-2008 10:26 PM

Dude, I'm so with you on that.

Are you missing checks from your checkbook?

lumberjim 10-08-2008 10:27 PM

not that i know of. i dont really write a lot of checks.....more of an ebillpayer kinda guy.

DucksNuts 10-08-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 491538)
my dvd burner is untrustworthy

umm mah, thats illegal

lumberjim 10-08-2008 10:35 PM

no it isn't

DucksNuts 10-08-2008 10:41 PM

i said it is

Aliantha 10-08-2008 10:41 PM

Maybe he just doesn't know.

DucksNuts 10-08-2008 10:44 PM

this is chatting isnt it?

we shouldnt be doing this

Aliantha 10-08-2008 10:46 PM

Yes, we shouldn't. Someone will get annoyed soon. At least that will give 'someone' something to write about in all these bitching and moaning threads. :)

We're so considerate.

LabRat 12-01-2008 11:40 AM

My groove done be scorched this morning by a plow.

To my bumper.

At 35mph.

Ford F-150 with a front mounted plow pulled out in front of me. I managed to miss the truck, but hit the edge of the plow. Almost severed my licence plate in half!! Initial report from the bodyshop does not look good. Apparently Maxima's suspensions weren't made for plow jumping.

I'm OK, a little stiff neck, but my baby is gonna need a lot of work. *sigh* At least it was his fault. Let's just hope his boss wasn't lying when he said he was fully covered by insurance.

Trilby 12-01-2008 11:54 AM

Do I hear percocet in your future?

btw, glad you're ok. My first instinct is always drugs.

Pie 12-01-2008 01:13 PM

Good excuse to get Hubby to give you a full-body massage. ;)

glatt 12-02-2008 10:43 AM

How are you feeling today, LabRat? Is the neck any better?

LabRat 12-02-2008 02:14 PM

Thankfully it's not as bad today as Red made it sound like it was going to be. He kept telling me how much worse it was going to feel on the second day, based on what his clients have told him.

Yesterday, as the day went on, my upper right shoulder and neck got gradually stiffer and tighter, despite taking ibuprofen as soon as I got to work. I was all irritated because last night was the first night I was going to get back to my swimming routine, but decided against it in case there might be a real injury.

Woke up this morning with no more pain or stiffness then I went to bed with, and 400mg ibuprofen are working just fine.

Thanks for asking.

The insurance company for lawnscaping company that owns the truck that pulled out in front of me is playing hardball. Looks like we are going to have to foot the bill for the repairs (well, the deductable. Merry Christmas) and let our insurance co. go to bat for us to get it back.

bah hamburgler

jinx 12-02-2008 02:22 PM

What does the police report say?

Sorry about your car btw (any pics?)... and your neck.

LabRat 12-02-2008 02:28 PM

Unfortunately the computer that prints the report out in the car was not working so it is in the mail to us. I know the driver of the truck recieved a moving violation, becasue I was present when the cop handed it to him.

I took a few pics with my phone, but they are crappy. I didn't have my other camera with me. Dunno if Red took any when he went to the repair shop.

SteveDallas 12-02-2008 05:08 PM

If he got a ticket and you didn't, the other insurance company will cough up. It may take a while.

Have you seen a doctor? I would sooner rather than later. It's probably not serious, but if you end up having trouble you want a baseline.

footfootfoot 12-02-2008 07:22 PM

Srsly. I thought I was fine after my car accident and a friend told me to start a paper trail that day. I saw a doc, etc. etc. turns out I ended up with permanent damage to C6, C7 and something like 17% disability in my neck and permanent numbness in part of my arm and a few fingers.

Just don't do any triathlons until after the settlement...

ZenGum 12-02-2008 10:47 PM

What they said. Start the paper trail ASAP.

LabRat 12-03-2008 03:43 PM

Holy crap. [/Peter Boyle]

No pain meds needed today, so not likely I've fractured anything but my pride. If I have to hear one more person ask me why I wasn't driving the old car, I'm going to implode.

Good news is that threats have succeeded in getting things moving so that I can get a rental car and get the car fixed.

Bad news is that they dicked around long enough that there isn't a rental car to be had in the city because of all the other accidents...

Big Red 12-03-2008 05:04 PM

I still would like to know why you were not driving the old car that day honey? We could have been done with that damm thing for good!
You Should have listen to me we would have had a Christmas Bonus!

Aliantha 12-03-2008 05:06 PM

*listens to the sound of LR quietly imploding*

dar512 12-04-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 510250)
If I have to hear one more person ask me why I wasn't driving the old car, I'm going to implode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red (Post 510298)
I still would like to know why you were not driving the old car that day honey? We could have been done with that damm thing for good!
You Should have listen to me we would have had a Christmas Bonus!

Um, Lab? You haven't done anything...regrettable in the last 24 hours, have you?

sweetwater 12-04-2008 09:43 AM

If you think there might be permanent damage, do as everyone says and get all the paperwork, document phone calls, all that. Check for images off intersection and security cameras in the area. Sometimes the appearance of a thick file of supporting evidence is extremely helpful for getting cooperation. But the best result would be no permanent damge, of course. Heal well and quickly.

SteveDallas 12-04-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 510250)
If I have to hear one more person ask me why I wasn't driving the old car, I'm going to implode.

That's one of the most considerate things I've ever heard.... most people would explode, but the implosion will leave much less mess to clean up.

footfootfoot 12-04-2008 11:12 AM

How the fuck can we be overdrawn? We still have checks!!!

Treasenuak 12-04-2008 03:14 PM

-falls over laughing- I heard of a military spouse who had the same outlook on checking accounts. The family ended up $60,000 overdrawn.

lumberjim 12-04-2008 04:21 PM

glad you're OK Labbermiah Lingleheimerschmidt

lumberjim 12-04-2008 10:23 PM

the lag for sock puppet activation is totally scorching my groove. it's harshing my mellow, and pissing in my cheerios too.

jinx 12-06-2008 06:36 PM

Black ice with a layer of snow on top, and PA drivers.

Here's a tip folks; when driving in slippery conditions (no matter what kind of vehicle you have) and you encounter a steep hill, WAIT for the driver in front of you to successfully reach the top or bottom before beginning ascent or decent - that way you just witness the accident instead of involving yourself in it.
Also, using your brakes on ice just makes things trickier. Try a lower gear instead. FFS.
I can't even tell you how many cars had slid off the road on my way home tonight, including the guy right in front of me, while going down a hill.... it was more than 10 though easy.

dar512 12-08-2008 09:14 AM

Good advice, Jinx.

We have the same problem here in Chicago. We get snow and ice here -- every single year. You would think that Chicagoans would eventually learn to drive in inclement weather. But that's not the case.

Buncha amateurs.

SteveDallas 12-08-2008 09:22 AM

I'll never forget the day we had nasty weather and it took me four hours to get home. (10 miles, usually 30 minutes--mostly on City Ave. for those keeping score in Philadelphia.) I was amazed at the number of pickups and SUVs that were spun out on the side of the road. I got through fine with my humble 1991 Honda Civic... no 4WD, no ABS, no anything. I just put the automatic transmission in the lowest gear and left a ton of stopping distance. I've never considered that I had any special skill as a driver, but I definitely felt superior that day.

glatt 12-08-2008 09:26 AM

I'm pretty good when it comes to driving on slippery roads. The only thing is, that I need the road to myself. Other cars always mess me up, by driving like jinx mentioned. Around here, there is never a time that other cars are not around, so the only way to win is to stay home when it's bad out.

Trilby 12-08-2008 12:26 PM

What about drivers on quaaludes? We seem to have a disproportionately large number of those. And zombie drivers. Old, old, old people who put the blinker on for ten minutes and then, regardless of whatever, just go for it.

lookout123 12-08-2008 12:33 PM

Uh, Bri? I live 20 minutes from Sun City, AZ. Want to talk about old drivers?

LabRat 12-08-2008 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
get ready dar512...here comes possible major storm #1.

Statement as of 12:28 PM CST on December 08, 2008

Freezing rain... possibly mixed with rain or sleet are likely to
cause hazardous travel conditions across the area today. A band
of freezing rain is moving north across the area... and where
surface temperatures are below freezing icing is occurring...
especially on elevated surfaces like bridges and overpasses. The
freezing rain will end when temperatures rise above freezing and
the ice melts.

Shawnee123 12-08-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Old, old, old people who put the blinker on for ten minutes and then, regardless of whatever, just go for it.
Carlin used to say (about people who leave their blinkers on) they were going "around the world, to the left."

I'd forgotten how unnerving daily highway driving can be. Mostly it's not a problem but it's the following who cause all the problems:

The Jerker: at the very last second and for no apparent reason, person jerks steering wheel and changes lanes, usually cutting off the person already in that lane.

The Talker: I would like a gun if only to shoot at people whose own minds are so devoid of thought that they have to spend every single solitary second with their damn cell phone plastered to their ear.

The Dumb Bitch: Just one girl I saw last week, it's dark, she has no lights on except for the brilliant display from her phone as she texts while driving.

The Ass Sniffer: There's no one else on the road, you're in the middle lane neither passing nor merging to an exit. Bozo follows your ass like he's sniffing it, keeping an equal distance of about 2 feet, rather than passing or trailing back.

The Ass Rider: Thinks if he rides your ass you could possibly go any faster than the car directly in front of you while the highway is bumper to bumper all lanes.

The right-passer: Pass in the correct lane, fuckwad. Didja see there are cars merging onto the interstate in that lane?

Mr Bad Car: Usually about 18 years old driving a Civic with one of those wingy things on the back, presumably because he plans to drive so fast that the wingy thing is needed to keep his car on the road. There are really tacky flames painted on, which from far away look as though someone keyed his car with a really big key. His tires extend about a foot from the edge of his car. Still, he drives like a pussy.

Who am I forgetting?

lookout123 12-08-2008 12:36 PM

Doesn't look like much will hit the quad cities.

Undertoad 12-08-2008 12:44 PM

Ms. Timid: believes in going cautiously slower, not faster on the entrance ramp to a 65MPH highway, until it is truly impossible to merge whatsoever because there are no gaps of a quarter-mile or greater. At this point she may timidly just pull over as far as possible and admit defeat, later attempting to merge from the shoulder. Or she may inch out into the lane causing drivers in that lane to slam on brakes or engage with the cars in the left lane.

Shawnee123 12-08-2008 12:45 PM

Oh yeah...the non-accelerators.

Ya know, if you pay attention you can actually time a merge.

People are dummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

LabRat 12-08-2008 12:48 PM

C'mon LO, you know you miss the excitement of driving with the old fogies on good old fashioned black ice in a blizzard....
Memmmm-reeeeeeeessss/ off key

I see your old fogies and raise you the college kids that I get to share the road with in addition in IC.

lookout123 12-08-2008 12:54 PM

I'll reraise with a metric asston of illegals with no insurance.

SteveDallas 12-08-2008 12:54 PM

I have timid merger tendencies, but I'll hang out on the shoulder instead of merging at a too-slow speed. It usually doesn't come to that though... it's just a tendency. (I'm also, in spite of my timidity, capable of merging with less than 0.25 miles of room.)

What annoys me is if I go out of my way to let somebody on the highway, and they don't take it.

Trilby 12-08-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 511628)
Uh, Bri? I live 20 minutes from Sun City, AZ. Want to talk about old drivers?

YES.

My first proposal: they should be required to have curb feelers.

Trilby 12-08-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 511646)
I have timid merger tendencies,

Not on this board you don't. Waca Waca!

lookout123 12-08-2008 12:57 PM

I'm usually running 70+ by the time I hit the top of the ramp. Our mergelanes actually run the full mile between exits and serve as entrance/exit lanes, so you better be at full speed when you get there.

lookout123 12-08-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 511647)
YES.

My first proposal: they should be required to have curb feelers.

They'd totally misunderstand and end up in the news again.

/news/17 Great Grandmothers were arrested for providing handjobs to the flaccid on Peoria Avenue today. Film at 11./anchor/

dar512 12-08-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 511629)
get ready dar512...here comes possible major storm #1.

Local weather says it's going to warm up enough not to be an issue.

And, hey, we're old friends, Lab. You can call me dar. :blush:

Shawnee123 12-08-2008 01:03 PM

We had crappy roads this weekend.

It is currently a mix of snow and sleet up where I live, but nothing here.

I want a blizzard. I want an ice storm freaking blizzard from hell with high winds and huge drifts.

This school closes MUCH more readily than where I used to work. :) It might have been last year my old school finally closed (hardly ever does) and while it was too crappy to get to work my car found the grocery and the beer. Those were good times. Sigh...

Treasenuak 12-08-2008 02:33 PM

Central Tennessee, apparently, doesn't even get snow. WTF? But we do get freezing rain, as I found out this morning when I went out to call the dogs in from doing their business and stepped on what I thought was wet wood. Nope. ICE. In bare feet. Gods I can be an idiot first thing in the morning.

classicman 12-08-2008 03:01 PM

Really Old drivers should NOT be allowed in the left lane. In fact there should be a special permit that only allows certain people in the left lane.

dar512 12-08-2008 03:12 PM

The old drivers of today learned to drive before there were interstates, and 55mph was fast. (Although the speedometers went to 140. I never understood that.)

Imagine what kind of trouble classic will get into when he's 85 and driving his age down the highway.:eek:

"Damn kids. Get outta my way."

SteveDallas 12-08-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 511711)
The old drivers of today learned to drive before there were interstates, and 55mph was fast.

I don't buy it... my dad was born in 1934, and he's been ticketed for doing 80 going through Atlanta. He can put his foot down when he feels like it

Aliantha 12-08-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 511706)
Really Old drivers should NOT be allowed in the left lane. In fact there should be a special permit that only allows certain people in the left lane.

I've got to say that i haven't noticed old people being the only ones that drive slowly in what we call the overtaking lane here. In fact, lately I've been pissed off with provisional drivers (around 19 yrs old usually) who like to just cruise in that lane.

Get the fuck outta the overtaking lane unless you're going past someone arsehole! I don't give a fuck how old you are or what sort of car you're driving. If you aren't overtaking, you shouldn't be in the right hand lane.

classicman 12-08-2008 06:31 PM

...Left lane in the states :)

dar512 12-08-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 511810)
I don't buy it... my dad was born in 1934, and he's been ticketed for doing 80 going through Atlanta. He can put his foot down when he feels like it

That's my theory. And if you don't like it, well, I have others. :D

jinx 12-08-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 511645)
I'll reraise with a metric asston of illegals with no insurance.

I'll call with yuppie cyclists and amish horse and buggies, both found most commonly on winding back roads with no shoulders and a steep drop-off into a body of water on one side.

classicman 12-08-2008 08:24 PM

My inability to communicate without coming off as an asshole - maybe I am an asshole.

Clodfobble 12-08-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Mr Bad Car: Usually about 18 years old driving a Civic with one of those wingy things on the back, presumably because he plans to drive so fast that the wingy thing is needed to keep his car on the road. There are really tacky flames painted on, which from far away look as though someone keyed his car with a really big key. His tires extend about a foot from the edge of his car. Still, he drives like a pussy.

We call those Rice Burners around here.