The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Gravdigr 10-10-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 878175)
Have you seen Deadwood?

Quote:

Originally Posted by limegreenc (Post 878198)
What is Deadwood...about?

Deadwood is about the word 'fuck'. It's far more prevalent than 'a', 'an', or 'the'.

Nah, I know the show's more than that, but it's so over-used that it turned even me off, and I'm like the world's most proliferate cusser.

lumberjim 10-10-2013 02:58 PM

There's a fair amount of cunting on that show too. Bummer it ended. It was awesome.

One cocksucka, two cocksucka.

-Woo.

Pico and ME 10-10-2013 04:00 PM

Timothy Olyphant is the lead in Deadwood. That's all you need to know...:p:.

I'm serious.

Lol.

richlevy 10-20-2013 07:34 PM

I just picked up Wild Wild West - The Complete Series for $7 at a library book sale. There are a boatload of disks, and they all appear to be like new.

Now I need to book some time over a few weekends. I plan on pairing the first DVD viewing with a steak dinner. If I didn't abstain, there would be beer involved.

Unfortunately, I do not have a man cave set up.:biggrinba

I really liked Deadwood, but Timothy Olyphant is a pussy compared to Robert Conrad. Probably the only Deadwood character worthy of being on Wild Wild West is Swearengen.

Quote:

On "The Wild Wild West" (1965), did most of his own stunt work, resulting in several injuries during the course of the show. During one episode's shooting, he slipped while performing a stunt and fell head first onto a concrete floor 12 feet below. Seriously injured, his recuperation delayed the series' production for nearly three months.

jake6567 10-21-2013 05:07 AM

The Lords of Salem with Dee Wallace; a Rob Zombie film.

infinite monkey 10-21-2013 12:16 PM

Termite: The Walls Have Eyes (when I get my Blu-ray hooked up...and I am getting a new flat screen TV this week.)

Lillian's Story (1998 movie starring Toni Collette)

An American Horror Story Season 1

Damages Season 2

wolf 10-21-2013 04:29 PM

Streaming Inspector Morse seasons 1 through 4, Madhouse (old Vincent Price horror flick), Dredd, which is seriously horrible.

Happy Monkey 10-21-2013 04:54 PM

"Pacific Rim", which was exactly what it says on the tin.

BigV 10-25-2013 04:46 PM

We had a marathon movie session recently, this list is probably comprehensive, but maybe not.

*deep breath*

After Earth -- ** -- It was OK. I was hoping for more Will Smith. He's in it, barely. Cool effects, his son does ok for a youngster. Stream it, if you must.

Bad Teacher -- ***.5 -- I really enjoyed this movie, but Twil does not care for Cameron Diaz. She's sooo bad (her character that is, she plays it just right), it's difficult to actually root for. Rent it for money if you must!

In Bruges -- ***.5 -- We borrowed this movie to watch, as a stand-in for whatever else wasn't available when we were making our selections. It was a re-run for me, as I'd seen it before, and then bought it. A rather dark black comedy. I like both Ray Fiennes and Colin Farrell and both deliver the goods in this film. Buy.

Movie 43 -- *** -- Do you remember Kentucky Fried Movie? I do, I own it on VHS. This is an homage to the extended sketch comedy collection style of KFM. It's even cruder, and just as funny. The scene in the supermarket is by far my favorite. Also, the cast is dazzling. Clearly KFM made a mark on them during their impressionable youth, too. Rent it.

Jack Reacher -- *** -- Twil's also moderately allergic to Tom Cruise, so this one was viewed, or largely ignored by her, but I enjoyed it. He's not a superhero/ninja/spy/robot, just a "regular" dude that participates in an investigation of a mass shooting. It's well done and I suggest you rent it.

The Impossible -- **** -- Brilliant, stressful movie. The true story of one family's ordeal during the Christmas tsunami in Indonesia. Ewan MacGregor and Naomi Watts are dazzling. Definitely rent, maybe buy (don't know about the replayability, but you really should see this one at least once.)

The Heat -- *** -- This has been on Twil's list for some time now, and we finally got a chance to see it. By the measure of Bridesmaids, it's ... a little wanting. But that's a very hard act to follow. All by itself, very funny! The two of them crack me the hell up! Rent it!

The Croods -- **.5 -- Enjoyable, predictable. The animation was quite good. Stream it.

Despicable Me -- *** -- Also funny, slightly less predictable. A different style of animation, but I liked them both. Stream it.

Stoker -- **.5 -- Not as creepy as the trailers, sadly. I would recommend NOT watching the trailer. I enjoyed the unpredictability and the assortment of unanswered and unexplained images and ideas in the film. Too bad there's not more Nicole Kidman in it. Stream it.

42 -- **** -- This is an epic story, and well told in this film. The harshness of the hatred, the unthinking, ignorance is sickening. SonofV said "I'm usually not a fan of dramas, but that was excellent." I couldn't agree more. Buy this one.

*whew*

Happy Monkey 10-25-2013 11:52 PM

Anne of Green Gables - Still wonderful.

Griff 10-27-2013 02:02 PM

Movie 43. Some would be offended. Dwellars will laugh. Very low brow.

DanaC 10-27-2013 02:55 PM

Not DvDs, but i am really enjoying catching back up with Arrow. i fell off it right near the end of series one, so I rewatched the last episode I saw to remind myself of the plot lines, finished up the remaining episode and then watched first two of the new season.

I have episode three buffering now...then I am up to date which kind of sucks. Should probably have waited for it to get nearer the end before I started watching. hate that week to week wait.

Still...really enjoyed my little Arrow marathon.

Griff 10-27-2013 04:46 PM

I just watched the pilot. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

DanaC 10-28-2013 04:35 AM

It gets better as time goes on as well. First few eps are often funny for the wrong reasons - some seriously cheesy dialogue and the gruff cop's acting.

By the second half of the season it had turned into one of my favourite shows.

glatt 10-28-2013 07:02 AM

Did the show change, or did it brainwash you into thinking it's actually good?

Friends did this to me. I initially thought it was incredibly dumb, but then everyone was all "hey, did you see friends?" so I started watching it again and got sucked in. And after a couple of years, it hit me one day that it really was dumb. And I couldn't watch it again.