The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ugh open floor plan office style bummin' me out (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31764)

Undertoad 03-11-2016 02:04 PM

Ugh open floor plan office style bummin' me out

There are nice points about workin' where I do, but the open floor plan really crushes me.

For a while I had it against cube farms... now I realize, luxury! Now i'm in a big open office with three other workstations on the long desk I sit at. If I sneeze everybody knows... come in late or leave early or take five minutes extra lunch... have personal calls or even just browse the Cellar to try to get my mind at ease, everybody knows.

My manager has an office and the door's open and he can look directly at me any time. It freaks me out, coming from the narcissist, because the narcissist was always constantly judging. People aren't constantly judging here, but the instinctive gut reaction still kicks in, and I'm left anxious at the end of every day.

Half the office knows when I take a shit and how long it took! But they say a lot of tech offices have gone to this approach... I can't imagine being a programmer in an office like this. Every second there's an interruption.

Y'all have to deal with any of this?

DanaC 03-11-2016 02:13 PM

That would drive me mental.

Gravdigr 03-11-2016 02:42 PM

Buy a bucket truck and a chain saw. No one will get within 100 feet of ya.

lumberjim 03-11-2016 02:58 PM

I'm against it. i don't like being watched over when I work. I complain about not having a window in my office, but it's better than what you describe. The salesmen here share a galley style office with two rows of divided desks, and the noise and distraction are counterproductive.

I don't like how our showroom is set up like a restaurant either. I don't think it's conducive to speaking about financial arrangements or credit reports. There should be offices ringing the place like it used to be, where the salesman could have his computer and phone, and a welcoming place for a guest to sit. As it is, they are constantly having to go to the desk or their office for this and that, leaving the customer alone to cool off.

Why are open floor plans a thing even?

xoxoxoBruce 03-11-2016 03:01 PM

Company has to hire less snipers that way. ;)

Beest 03-11-2016 03:23 PM

About 25-30 people in my office, there are short walls demarking where your desk ends and your neighbor begins, but they are shorter than a monitor, below shoulder height sitting down. They are paired so I am sitting face to face with the guy opposite me.

I am lucky in that I can escape and go the labs and have more privacy and see different walls.

Nobody likes it, some are loud talkers on the phone, people chat etc.

Griff 03-11-2016 03:42 PM

No way could I work like that.

monster 03-11-2016 03:54 PM

I pretty much have my own office. With no windows. Right next to the garbage chute. I think I would hate open plan, but I dream of breathing occasionally. That stuff is really rank now it's warmed up, and the fug from it seems to settle in my lair.

Should probably go back to chucking the hobo corpses down the basement stairs

xoxoxoBruce 03-11-2016 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cube farm...

infinite monkey 03-11-2016 04:49 PM

To me, this situation is so usual. It's not nearly ideal, but you necessarily have to deal with it.

It kinda sucks sometimes.

glatt 03-11-2016 05:41 PM

Yeah. I'm going from a private office to a shared office next month. The firm is going to more of an open office floor plan. I don't have any details yet because they are being secretive about it. That alone tells you they know it will be unpopular.

infinite monkey 03-11-2016 06:05 PM

They know it's going to suck for you. As lawyers will do, they'll file motions to put off telling the suckiness as long as possible. ;)

sexobon 03-11-2016 07:08 PM

You can try putting some tape on the floor ...

xoxoxoBruce 03-11-2016 11:08 PM

Box of tissues, cough drops and a shawl, then practice sneezing and coughing. Eyebrow pencil spots a effective too.

DanaC 03-12-2016 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 955309)
About 25-30 people in my office, there are short walls demarking where your desk ends and your neighbor begins, but they are shorter than a monitor, below shoulder height sitting down. They are paired so I am sitting face to face with the guy opposite me.

I am lucky in that I can escape and go the labs and have more privacy and see different walls.

Nobody likes it, some are loud talkers on the phone, people chat etc.

Mine is like this, but the demarcation walls are taller. You can look over them but you'd have to sit quite straight up and lift your head. I would hate it to be fully open plan without those dividers.