The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   08ama! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13090)

xoxoxoBruce 02-13-2008 12:15 PM

For the 9 to 5 crowd, that votes on their way home.

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2008 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Change

skysidhe 02-16-2008 02:41 AM

yes haunting....someone else has that ....disturbing ...THING

When I ask people what comes after change nobody knows. Are we having change for change sake? Just ask'in.

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2008 10:29 AM

I'm not even thinking about after change, I want to know what changes?

skysidhe 02-16-2008 01:16 PM

yes, exactly.

When I ask people "what changes?" they repeat the word "change" I say,"go on" they say "just that change" I say, "OK" one word isn't good enough for my vote.
The only people that can afford the ideal of change without substance is the affluent and that is where this movement is comming from . oh and the knee jerk reaction from the african american community to percieved racial attacks. 8 to 1 vote obama on the basis of skin color.

deadbeater 02-16-2008 11:59 PM

I'm sorry but the style of the handshakes over 'Change' look familiar. From what reference was the above picture? From '1984' or something?

Pie 02-17-2008 01:39 PM

The "Change" motto makes me think of this post at Cosmic Variance:
Quote:

Still, as a physicist it bugs me. I can’t hear the motto without thinking: change in what direction? The reason why this is such a great political slogan is because anyone can project onto it whatever kind of “change” they most prefer. But it’s highly unlikely that generic change would be a good thing. In the phase space of political configurations, one must imagine that the subspace of “good” configurations (however you want to define them) is one of fairly low-entropy — there are far more ways to have an ineffective or actively dangerous government than to have a good one.
http://cosmicvariance.com/wp-content...hangespace.jpg
If that’s true, and you just adopt “change” as your motto, you are far more likely to make things worse than to make them better. It’s just the Second Law of Political Dynamics, people.
I'm still supporting Obama, though.

classicman 02-17-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 432832)
I'm still supporting Obama, though.

After all that discussion and then your conclusion, wanna elaborate on why, please.

Pie 02-17-2008 03:36 PM

Simple. I'm a liberal, leftist-pinko-commie. :p

Oh, you mean "Why not Clinton?"
She's too tuned into the poll-of-the-moment. I still haven't forgiven her for voting to approve Bush's invasion of Iraq.

I also like the externally-apparent political symbol embodied in electing a president with the middle name "Hussein".

I haven't heard him saying too much I disagree with (yet), so what's not to like?

classicman 02-17-2008 04:46 PM

I didn't say there was or wasn't. I was just curious about your opinion.

xoxoxoBruce 02-17-2008 08:31 PM

In election 2008, don’t forget Angry White Man

The above caption is from the Aspen Times Weekly.
The column is a good example of the venom Hillery attracts.
Here's the end of the column....
Quote:

He also votes, and the Angry White Man loathes Hillary Clinton. Her voice reminds him of a shovel scraping a rock. He recoils at the mere sight of her on television. Her very image disgusts him, and he cannot fathom why anyone would want her as their leader. It’s not that she is a woman. It’s that she is who she is. It’s the liberal victim groups she panders to, the “poor me” attitude that she represents, her inability to give a straight answer to an honest question, his tax dollars that she wants to give to people who refuse to do anything for themselves.

There are many millions of Angry White Men. Four million Angry White Men are members of the National Rifle Association, and all of them will vote against Hillary Clinton, just as the great majority of them voted for George Bush.

He hopes that she will be the Democratic nominee for president in 2008, and he will make sure that she gets beaten like a drum.

classicman 02-17-2008 08:42 PM

Shit, I didn't realize I was an "Angry White Man." I am usually a pretty happy go lucky sort.

Urbane Guerrilla 02-17-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 431797)
e-lucifer!!

E Lucid 8 R.

And it's my invasion too, Pie. I like busting totalitarians, you lack my enthusiasm for the things that are proper to do.

xoxoxoBruce 02-17-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 432898)
Shit, I didn't realize I was an "Angry White Man." I am usually a pretty happy go lucky sort.

Did you check out the link to see if you fit the rest of the profile?

slang 02-18-2008 04:18 AM

I've been a AWM for a long time now. The article describes why when I can't express those same thoughts and beliefs many times.

"The victimhood syndrome buzzwords — “disenfranchised,” “marginalized” and “voiceless” — don’t resonate with him"

Add "entitlement".