The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Oh. My. God. I mean, O. M. G!!!! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33799)

Gravdigr 10-17-2018 02:31 PM

Oh. My. God. I mean, O. M. G!!!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Megan Markle finally put her hair in a ponytail!

THANK GOD.

I hope I live long enough to one day give a flying rat fuck what Megan Markle says or does.

Get out of my news headlines, you fucking royal footnote.

Clodfobble 10-17-2018 04:27 PM

The only thing I've found interesting about the thing so far: Megan Markle's baby will be a U.S. citizen and eligible to be both President and Queen/King of England.

I doubt a reigning monarch could win an election here, but if Markle Jr. were elected President first, then a bomb hit Windsor Castle and took out the line of succession in one fell swoop... America could find itself written up in the history books as a brief 300-year rebellion.

sexobon 10-17-2018 04:43 PM

I read somewhere that being a Royal isn't an automatic birth right and it's up to the Queen to grant that status.

DanaC 10-17-2018 04:55 PM

Bit difficult if she got hit with a bomb

Rhianne 10-17-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1016948)
The only thing I've found interesting about the thing so far: Megan Markle's baby will be a U.S. citizen and eligible to be both President and Queen/King of England.

I doubt a reigning monarch could win an election here, but if Markle Jr. were elected President first, then a bomb hit Windsor Castle and took out the line of succession in one fell swoop... America could find itself written up in the history books as a brief 300-year rebellion.

Ms Markle too could be both President and Queen of England.

BigV 10-17-2018 05:45 PM

Well played!

Clodfobble 10-17-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianne
Ms Markle too could be both President and Queen of England.

Could she? She could be married to the King, obviously, but that would make her a royal consort, like the current "Prince Philip." I didn't think spouses ever showed up in the line of succession, only blood relatives.

Rhianne 10-17-2018 06:34 PM

No, she wouldn't take any place in the line of succession but would still be titled 'Queen' - and of course, just like the present queen, she wouldn't be 'Queen of England' except in the same way that Mr Trump is currently the President of Texas.

Clodfobble 10-17-2018 06:47 PM

But then why is he called Prince Philip and not King Philip? Is it because they weren't already married when she became Queen? Or are they not actually married?

DanaC 10-17-2018 07:02 PM

If the monarch a a king his wife becomes queen - if the monarch is a queen her husband can only be her consort.
A king would effectively outrank the queen which would be entirely unacceptable if the queen is actually the monarch

Happy Monkey 10-17-2018 07:31 PM

Wife of a reigning king = Queen Consort
Reigning queen = Queen Regnant

Apparently the husband of a reigning queen could be a King Consort, but that's not common. Bruises the male ego, perhaps.

Clodfobble 10-17-2018 09:43 PM

They should call him King Boyfriend, like Dr. Girlfriend.

Griff 10-18-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1016948)

With the current unpleasantness maybe it is time to hit the reset button. My news feed informed me today that they are the cutest couple so they have that over the Drumpfs.

Squawk 10-18-2018 07:20 AM

Thank heavens for the royals. We might have to think about the state of our nation if we weren't too busy fawning over them and reading Hello! magazine.

DanaC 10-18-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 1016960)
Wife of a reigning king = Queen Consort
Reigning queen = Queen Regnant

Apparently the husband of a reigning queen could be a King Consort, but that's not common. Bruises the male ego, perhaps.

Yes, but they would still be referred to as Queen X ...

Queen Elizabeth is the Queen Regnant
Queen Meghan would be the Queen Consort.

Did not know about King Consort - though now you mention it, it does bring to mind some of the concerns EI's advisors had about her potentially marrying.

I suspect King Consort is less common because a) There haven't been that many queens regnant and b) those we have had would probably have been ill at ease with a 'King', however much a consort, by their side, bearing in mind most of them would have had to prove themselves equal to a potential rival king (e.g a side step in the family tree, rather than a woman on the throne with the very real danger she could marry a risky prospect - such as a catholic/protestant and in doing so hand power to that person, because all men are kings to their wives)