The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Baby It's Cold Outside" is not rapey (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33928)

Undertoad 12-03-2018 12:52 PM

"Baby It's Cold Outside" is not rapey

It's a perfectly wonderful song about flirting, where the lady is entirely into the idea of staying the night, but feels it polite to give a moment of hard-to-get resistance.

"What's in this drink" was a common jokey saying of the day, I am told

Go ahead, change my mind

Flint 12-03-2018 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Squawk 12-03-2018 01:20 PM

Cerys has the last laugh in this video, my favourite version.

Gravdigr 12-03-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1020063)
It's a perfectly wonderful song about flirting, where the lady is entirely into the idea of staying the night, but feels it polite to give a moment of hard-to-get resistance.

"What's in this drink" was a common jokey saying of the day, I am told

Go ahead, change my mind

No. He's a rapist. You're a rapist for liking the song. I'm a rapist for associating with you. We're all rapists now.

No means no.

Flint 12-03-2018 04:15 PM

Wait. No doesn't mean no?

sexobon 12-03-2018 04:38 PM

Yeah, no.

Is tricksy; 'cause, "no" could previously be a white lie.

xoxoxoBruce 12-03-2018 11:57 PM

No means no, but she didn't say no. She says, "I ought to say no no no", in other words no is expected of me but I don't want to say it.
This is the way the game was played for most of the 20th century when people noticed the walk of shame. Now it's the walk of I did it and I'm glad.

sexobon 12-04-2018 03:33 AM

Just say no, while nodding your head. :yesnod:

Gravdigr 12-04-2018 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1020093)
No means no, but she didn't say no. She says, "I ought to say no no no", in other words no is expected of me but I don't want to say it.

Coercion.[/debbil'srapi--Imean-advocate]

Gravdigr 12-04-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1020083)
Wait. No doesn't mean no?

Yes.

Wait. No. Wait.

Fuck, now I'm confused.

Griff 12-04-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1020093)
This is the way the game was played for most of the 20th century when people noticed the walk of shame. Now it's the walk of I did it and I'm glad.

Pete and I were speculating on how it is on campus today. We decided that turnabout being fair play, guys borrowing Pink emblazoned tops and sweats making the walk is inevitable.

Dude111 12-04-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad

Yes your right..... The PC crap in this country has ruined alot of things!

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2018 12:07 PM

But is this rape?

Happy Monkey 12-04-2018 12:14 PM

Yes.

This is why laws are long and complicated. Because some asshole finds a loophole that needs to be fixed.

Flint 12-10-2018 04:20 PM

Anyone, please, correct me if you disagree anywhere. I'm really fascinated by this.

I think that:
#1: the behavior depicted in the song is, at face value, what we now consider "rapey" behavior, e.g. being pushy and trying to wear down someone's resistance over an extended period, where you're physically preventing them from leaving, until you achieve a nominal "green light"
#2: the behavior was considered "okay" at the time so some people figure the song gets a pass for historical accuracy
#3: some people value cultural touchstones such as baby boomer's fond childhood memories to the degree that they trump* other considerations, such as an updated sense of cultural norms
--and that somewhere in the debate--
#4: some people are so steadfast in defending the song that they've skipped right over reasons #2 and #3 and are saying that the original behavior--at face value!-- is okay

*is there another word for this?