The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Undertoad 05-18-2014 11:07 AM

A friend of mine has decided, after numerous cancer episodes, that she will no longer use western medicine to treat her cancer, and will now employ holistic treatment including veganism.

Her husband is a person of science and is appalled... yet knowing he cannot control his spouse. Their three kids ages 7 to 12 hang in the balance.

DanaC 05-18-2014 11:19 AM

Oh that is horrible. Upsetting from every angle.

Clodfobble 05-18-2014 11:30 AM

I'm genuinely sorry, UT. No kid should have to watch a parent battle cancer, let alone potentially lose. Sucks all around.

sexobon 05-18-2014 04:58 PM

Sorry UT. You didn't say what kind of cancer she has or suggest a rationale for her treatment decision; so, I'll speculate she has already fought the good fight using Western medicine and now wants things to run their course before her kids are old enough to feel responsible for her. Pursuing alternative medicine sends a message to her family that she is still trying for them, even though SHE may have reached acceptance, so that they (especially the kids) won't ever think she didn't love them enough to keep trying to stay with them. :2cents:

fargon 05-18-2014 05:01 PM

We are Praying for her.

Undertoad 05-18-2014 05:03 PM

I don't know all the details sb.

monster 05-18-2014 09:03 PM

FWIW my friend did a similar thing and she's still with us. I'm not an "alternative" meds person, but I do think the power of the mind is strong. if you believe in the path you are taking, it seems to do the world of good.....

xoxoxoBruce 05-20-2014 01:21 AM

Worked for Steve Jobs. :rolleyes:

wolf 05-22-2014 01:02 AM

UT, I have a friend who is a really solid cancer surgeon who also uses complimentary medicine.

Undertoad 05-22-2014 07:21 AM

I will try to get more information. This is a good friend's wife and they have played it very close to the vest so I didn't even know her cancer recurred. And it's one of those things where he told me in an aside while she was out getting something, and then told me it was not a topic for discussion when she came back.

Griff 05-23-2014 08:48 AM

Sometime cancer takes the fight out of you. My Mom fought and beat breast cancer but didn't have the heart to fight her liver cancer later. Until you know what she knows, you probably can't judge her decision making.

xoxoxoBruce 05-23-2014 03:03 PM

People who have cancer rear it's ugly head a second time, now know what they face, like the doctors do. I think that why doctors tend to not fight it in some cases, but they can not make that decision for you, only you can.
That's why it's important to talk to your doctor and make your preferences known, before you end up in a living hell controlled by some well meaning relative.

Big Sarge 05-25-2014 05:52 PM

an investigator for the police department I used to be chief at was found deceased. I'm not enough in the loop to know much now. I had served with him previously in the military. I just have that sinking feeling in the gut that this is a suicide or accidental overdose

Lola Bunny 05-25-2014 05:58 PM

:-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 05-25-2014 09:47 PM

Sorry, Sarge.