The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   good music on youtube (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13372)

monster 04-18-2011 05:00 PM

Happened across this quite by accident, Not normally my sort of thing at all, but ....wow...

this version is no video, but better sound quality

Sundae 05-13-2011 04:02 PM

Don't like Cohen as sounds like a hoover.
My ex housemate (formerly known as HS) sounded like a waste disposal unit. And he practised this constantly.

But I like a bit of the Lang, and this was lovely. Thanks.

In return all I have to offer is something I am simply evangelical about.
I don't go door to door. I don't ask for tithes. I don't tell you not to celebrate Christmas. I just post Finn Brothers/ Crowded House vids from time to time.

This is an old one.
It's been in my blood since the early 90s at least.
And I still can't separate the different strands of harmony. Not because this song is exceptional (although it is in other ways) just because I am shite like that.

Anyone more talented than I am in this way (everyone?) feel free to post the two different parts, and I can finally choose which to sing in the shower.

Jacquelita 05-15-2011 12:28 AM

Ryan Adams
Oh My Sweet Carolina

infinite monkey 05-20-2011 12:30 PM

DanaC 05-20-2011 12:57 PM

Oh that was really lovely Infi! Great vibe.

@ Sundae: I am a huge fan of the Cohen, but I know what you mean about his voice :p

He always said himself he was a poet more than a singer.

Here are two that I just adore though. The trick with Cohen is to listen to him as a story teller and poet.

The Partisan: This performance has added resonance I think, because it was recorded in France.

This next one is Joan of Arc. Probably one of my favourite songs of all time. I just think it's pure poetry. It is a duet between Joan and the Fire. Jennifer Warnes has a beautiful, soaring voice as Joan, and Cohen's gravelly voice works as The Fire. Listen to the words, it's a fabulous concept. Gorgeous violin as well.

casimendocina 05-21-2011 01:18 AM

Hey Dana, thanks to your post, I've just gone back and revisited all the Leonard Cohen songs I love, but sung by other people, particularly those done by Rufus Wainwright. Saw L.C. last year live and it's up there with the best concerts I've ever seen, but other people do the singing part of his songs better than he does.

Sundae, have you heard Boy and Bear's cover of Fall at your Feet?

I like it better than the original.

DanaC 05-21-2011 08:59 AM

Rufus Wainwright's rendition of Hallelujah gives me shivers.

casimendocina 05-21-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 735493)
Rufus Wainwright's rendition of Hallelujah gives me shivers.

The man is a god!

DanaC 05-21-2011 09:56 AM

Hell yeah!

Very jealous of you seeing LC btw. That's pretty awesome.

casimendocina 05-21-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 722205)
'Storm' a beat poem by Tim Minchin.

That is so cool. I've seen it live and it was great, but having it in this form means his arguments can be revisited...just getting my head around the fact that a lot of the time he lapses into incoherence and gets a laugh out of finishing sentences with "and stuff" but then produces work like this. And while I'm wondering about the enigma that is Tim Minchin, I wonder how many tidal waves he's created when people recognise that they're become one of the rants in his shows.

As for LC, the word 'sublime' which he used to describe his backup singers should also be used to describe him.

plthijinx 05-22-2011 08:09 PM

sullage 05-25-2011 12:51 AM

DanaC 05-25-2011 05:14 AM

Really liked that one Sullage.

J recently introduced me to a band called The Decemberists. They're really interesting. This is the first one of theirs that I heard. It blew me away.

@ Sundae: given how much you enjoyed the Gay Pirates, you might get a kick out of this one.

I'm posting the one with the lyrics on, because the guy has a really strange intonation at times. It has one of the most awesome choruses I have heard in ages.

The Mariner's Revenge Song:

casimendocina 05-25-2011 07:43 AM

I love the Decemberists. Have you guys heard the Mountain Goats? If not, check out "Dance Music" (really cool clip with sock puppets) and "This Year".

BigV 05-25-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 712380)
Here is a smile.

HEY FLINT!!!