The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Drax 02-11-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 431729)
ok galaxy. I got it wrong. Not a fan. ;)

No big. ;)

Undertoad 02-12-2008 12:27 PM

Candles are an interesting light source, what with all the natural flickering. And they light a bedroom nicely, with just the right amount of dim yellow to see your way around. But it turns out that if you have three big cheap candles burning overnight for several months, a light layer of soot will coat everything, without you noticing.

But more importantly, the soot will be drawn down to your furnace, where it will coat the dust filter so perfectly that the furnace will slowly lose the ability to move enough air to heat the house. The furnace will then run overtime, causing you to pay huge amounts in electricity (or whatever) to heat nothing in particular.

It will most evident that something is wrong when the outdoor air temperature goes down to 5 F overnight, so that you wake up freezing.

Aliantha 02-12-2008 04:28 PM

candles in the bedroom! Who'd do it???

icileparadise 02-12-2008 04:51 PM

Put those little candles, in the aluminium discs, into a lantern in your bedroom and it's sooo nice. They burn slow and all the soot goes into and onto the glass and top/inside of the lantern - just clean same peridiocaly and you have a safe and romantic bedroom. I have open flame candles and an open fire in my lounge but in the bedroom I use a single lantern. It's so romantic and helps me navigate to my side of the bed without clunking against it whilst my wife is sound asleep.

Cicero 02-12-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 431823)
Candles are an interesting light source, what with all the natural flickering. And they light a bedroom nicely, with just the right amount of dim yellow to see your way around. But it turns out that if you have three big cheap candles burning overnight for several months, a light layer of soot will coat everything, without you noticing.

But more importantly, the soot will be drawn down to your furnace, where it will coat the dust filter so perfectly that the furnace will slowly lose the ability to move enough air to heat the house. The furnace will then run overtime, causing you to pay huge amounts in electricity (or whatever) to heat nothing in particular.

It will most evident that something is wrong when the outdoor air temperature goes down to 5 F overnight, so that you wake up freezing.

Check for carbon monoxide, you just described in very great detail what everything looked like when my furnace broke and I was poisoned by the stuff (not greatly but enough)....please. Your furnace might be broken. Please have your furnace checked, fixed, and test for carbon monoxide. Asap. Your windows are probably closed...it's winter. Like mine were. Don't want to alarm you, but it's probably not the candles.

Please have your furnace checked by a professional. I did not do that and suffered greatly for it.
:)

Just check it...I might be wrong and I might be right...

And please excuse my new dyslexia.

Undertoad 02-12-2008 04:59 PM

We have a heat pump here, it's all electric.

At the Cellar we have a great deal of experience with slow CO poisoning and its effects on the brain.

icileparadise 02-12-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 431869)
Check for carbon monoxide, you just described in very great detail what everything looked like when my furnace broke and I was poisoned by the stuff (not greatly but enough)....please. Your furnace might be broken. Please have your furnace checked, fixed, and test for carbon monoxide. Asap. Your windows are probably closed...it's winter. Like mine were. Don't want to alarm you, but it's probably not the candles.

Please have your furnace checked by a professional. I did not do that and suffered geratly for it.

Just check it...I might be wrong and I might be right...

icileparadise 02-12-2008 05:05 PM

YES,YES. Cicero speaks volumes of facts. Please all of you check your immersion gas heaters and please make sure all gas, parafine, kerosone, methane, propane, butane etc appliances are well serviced. They can kill without doubt - make sure the exchaust gases go up the chimney/flue and not into you.

lookout123 02-12-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 431873)

At the Cellar we have a great deal of experience with slow CO poisoning and its effects on the brain.

understatement

noun
a statement that is restrained in ironic contrast to what might have been said [ant: exaggeration]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Cicero 02-12-2008 05:30 PM

oh..all electric....K.
That's just a great description of what happened to me and all my stuff. Knee-jerk reaction. Moving along......
I'm glad you guys are so "in the know".....weird.

I don't get it?

icileparadise 02-12-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 431887)
oh..all electric....K.
That's just a great description of what happened to me and all my stuff. Knee-jerk reaction. Moving along......
I'm glad you guys are so "in the know".....weird.

I don't get it?

icileparadise 02-12-2008 05:53 PM

Sorry you all, pushed the wrong button first. I have had a carbon monoxide poisoing experience and I know what you went through and it is not good. I feel for you Cicero coz I had a fucking lumbar puncture and all the tests and all the time it was the fucking land owners blame. Check your installations please.

busterb 02-12-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 431873)

Ha HA nuf said!

Cicero 02-12-2008 06:15 PM

Not really...I still don't get it.

Must be an inside joke? Outside of the CO being wrong.....Aaah forget it.

monster 02-12-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 431720)
Yep, not everyone's a fan of HHGTTU you know.

And those poor souls can just move on quietly and won't be any the worse off for not getting it, will they? probably happier, in fact, as their dislike for the trilogy will not be awoken to make them crotchety. :)