The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

BigV 02-01-2012 12:18 PM

Lash your bike to your own car, get in line with the other cars behind that fucking biker, and plod up the mountain until you can be right next to the biker huffing up the hill, slow down and run interference for the biker as you switch drivers and hop out and unload your bike and pedal with him! Let the whisper of a headwind gently dry your tears.

Easy!

wolf 02-01-2012 04:08 PM

Bike lanes aside ... it's a ROAD. Made for CARS.

Get off your damn bike and walk it to somewhere safe.

So, anyway ... there I was today, peacefully typing a book review of The Yiddish Policemen's Union (meh. never really went anywhere), and I reached for my big plastic cup of ice tea. Now usually, I'm drinking out of either a proper glass, or some sort of spill proof container, but I'd just started the dishwasher and got one of those Solo party cups, the big ones? Luckily I'd been drinking it for a while and it was only about half full, but in my distracted state I must have misjudged the weight of the cup and ... sploosh. Nine ounces of cold ice tea on my thigh, the carpet, and two shoulder bags that were sitting on the floor next to me.

In between yelling "fuck!" and "now what" I managed to find the box of Shamwows, dampened one, and sucked the stains right out of the carpet, my pants, and the wool shoulder bag.

Aliantha 02-01-2012 04:20 PM

Yeah, I have to say, that cyclist who ride up mountain roads etc are just asking for trouble. Particularly if they choose the ones that're popular for driving up too. It's just plain dangerous and personally I think it's unfair because although they might try hard, they simply can't do a reasonable speed on an uphill climb, and they put a lot of lives at risk.

Even on the winding roads around our place I find cyclists to be a problem, and I've seen more than one (in the 3.5yrs we've lived here) who's been knocked off his/her bike because there's just not enough vision, and it's only one lane each way, and there are all sorts of large trucks and tractors and plenty of cars who have to use the same road.

I respect that cyclists want to ride their bikes and all the other stuff, but seriously, if it's dangerous for you and your fellow road users, why do you do it?

Aliantha 02-01-2012 04:21 PM

good job with the shamwow wolf. lol

HungLikeJesus 02-01-2012 05:18 PM

Yes, I agree.

We really need to get all these cars and trucks off the mountain roads. They need to stay on the freeway where they belong.

ZenGum 02-01-2012 06:14 PM

Sounds like cycllists are in plague proportions. Time for a permit-based culling system! Thin out their numbers, for their own good!

Aliantha 02-01-2012 06:14 PM

I just don't think it's fair that good and safe drivers should be made to feel fearful because of someone else's choices.

I know when I am in the situation, it worries me because i feel a sense of responsibility for any damage I might inadvertently cause through my actions.

If I didn't give a shit about cyclists, I wouldn't care either way would I? I'd just keep driving and let them suffer whatever the consequences happen to be.

I also should add that my brother and his wife and a number of good friends of mine are road bike cyclists. My brother was knocked off his bike when he was only about 18 and has suffered chronic back pain ever since.

I feel that I'm speaking from a position of care and concern. Not simple greed for road space.

wolf 02-01-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 792346)
Sounds like cycllists are in plague proportions. Time for a permit-based culling system! Thin out their numbers, for their own good!

Riding bareheaded used to take care of that, but these modern safety standards and keeping them in the gene pool long enough to reproduce.

footfootfoot 02-01-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 792309)
Yes, I agree.

We really need to get all these cars and trucks off the mountain roads. They need to stay on the freeway where they belong.

I rode my bike up "going to the sun" road or highway in Glacier National Park in 1980 or 1981. Bikes were not allowed to enter the road after something like 10:00am to give them enough time to reach the top before the car traffic got heavy.

On that same bike trip I was in Wyoming or Montana and there was no way to get from one town to the next except by interstate. The entrance ramps did not have the typical signs prohibiting pedestrian or bicycle traffic. First time I've ever rode my bike on the interstate. The second time involved way too too much Tequila and a temporarily stolen bike that was returned to its owner who was none the wiser.

HungLikeJesus 02-01-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 792347)
I just don't think it's fair that good and safe drivers should be made to feel fearful because of someone else's choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 792309)
Yes, I agree.

Aliantha 02-01-2012 07:16 PM

There'd be no roads there if it weren't for cars and trucks. Just a trail you'd need a mountain bike to negotiate...and maybe not even that.

So let's say that scenario is true, would the mountain bikes expect the walkers to hop off to the side of the trail so they could continue on at their own pace?

I wonder...

HungLikeJesus 02-01-2012 07:18 PM

The roads were here before the cars. Even Romans had roads.

Aliantha 02-01-2012 07:19 PM

I'd love to see a road bike after a couple of km's over a roman road. lol

Griff 02-01-2012 08:00 PM

The League of American Wheelman, a cycling organization, is often credited for getting road paving started in the US.

BigV 02-01-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 792384)
I'd love to see a road bike after a couple of km's over a roman road. lol

Road? we don'tneed no stinkin road