The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Military Justice (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33144)

Diaphone Jim 11-03-2017 11:33 AM

Military Justice

By God, there is some.
No prison time for Bowe Bergdahl.

Gravdigr 11-03-2017 12:58 PM

I'd say he did his time.

But give him the dishonorable, which I assume they did?

zippyt 11-03-2017 02:59 PM

reduced in rank to privet , has to pay back $10k ish , and a Big Chicken Dinner ,
Bad Conduct Discharge , he is in essence a fellon , cant own guns , or vote

Seeing as folks got hurt looking for his dumass self i think he got off light ,
they could have executed him

zippyt 11-03-2017 03:18 PM

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has received his sentence after pleading guilty to charges stemming from his 2009 capture by the Taliban. While he is receiving no prison time, he has been given a dishonorable discharge.
At first, it may sound like he’s gotten off very lightly, given that he pleaded guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, and the fact that, according to the Washington Times, he endangered the fellow soldiers in his unit.
According to the Manual for Courts Martial, the death penalty is a potential punishment for both of those charges.
According to Lawyers.com, this discharge wipes out any and all military and veteran benefits for Bergdahl. That means no access to the GI Bill for further education, no VA home loans, no VA medical benefits. Bergdahl gets none of these benefits.

In addition, according to 18 USC 922(g), Bergdahl is now prohibited from owning any sort of firearm or ammunition. Even one pistol round could land him 10 years in the federal slammer (see 18 USC 924).
In addition, GettingHired.com notes that a dishonorable discharge is entered into law-enforcement databases. Furthermore, that site pointed out that Bergdahl will probably face “significant problems securing employment in civilian society.”

http://www.wearethemighty.com/news/t...s-for-Bergdahl

sexobon 11-03-2017 05:16 PM

Wait for Bergdahl and Manning to get married on a reality TV show.

Diaphone Jim 11-03-2017 05:51 PM

Bergdahl's walking away was foolish and dumb, but not cowardly.
I never got any home loan, only got education benefits too late and too little to do any good. And doing without VA health care is a healthy choice.
I say thanks to Bowe, his defense team and the Judge for the guts to what they saw was right, not screeching like all the chicken hawks from Trump on down.

sexobon 11-03-2017 06:55 PM

He's branded DISHONORABLE for the rest of his life. Whether or not cowardice was a factor won't interest most.

Pamela 11-03-2017 10:34 PM

I happened to be in the Dallas VA hospital ER when this was announced. The general reaction was...negative.

There are a lot of unhappy veterans and active duty military tonight.

xoxoxoBruce 11-03-2017 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe he can write a book and do the talk show circuit.

BigV 11-04-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 998114)
snip--
In addition, GettingHired.com notes that a dishonorable discharge is entered into law-enforcement databases. Furthermore, that site pointed out that Bergdahl will probably face “significant problems securing employment in civilian society.”

http://www.wearethemighty.com/news/t...s-for-Bergdahl

Not only for Bergdahl, but for all the other felons, why is this a good idea? I get the whole retribution angle. I don't agree with, but I recognize it. The likelihood of Bergdahl reoffending is minuscule, but what about the other felons, having been released from custody who face the same "significant problems securing employment"? Who benefits from this civic stance?

sexobon 11-04-2017 11:59 AM

The guy walked off the job negligently endangering his coworkers. The probability of someone with such poor judgement in some way acting to the detriment of another employer and coworkers is high. Look at criminals' rap sheets. He's beyond the formative years where his thinking processes can be easily retrained. The penalties he received were not sufficient enough to cause a Significant Emotional Event that would shock his thought processes into realignment. That's why society puts long term constraints on offenders.

Such a person could negligently endanger coworkers again. Such a person can bring great discredit upon a future employer, enough to put them out of business which affects the livelihoods of other employees and their ability to provide for their spouses and children. Not hiring such a person benefits everyone except the offender.

There's a card that psychologists play when they're trying to salvage the future of someone they believe has been either wrongly convicted; or, fully rehabilitated. They employ the old adage: Past human behavior is not necessarily a reliable indicator of future human behavior. Neither condition applies to this person. In this case it would be more like saying: Gambling with all of your money is not necessarily a reliable indicator that you're going to lose it.

Yet there are those who would tell others that it's good to do that citing the possibility that they could win.

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 998145)
...but what about the other felons, having been released from custody who face the same "significant problems securing employment"?

Easily remedied... death penalty.

Undertoad 11-04-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 998154)
The guy walked off the job negligently endangering his coworkers.

85% percent chance this was a problem in top management tho

not really

Diaphone Jim 11-06-2017 11:30 AM

I am not sure whether the big man hunt was to rescue a fellow soldier from the enemy or to capture a traitor for punishment.
The following was actually in last week's testimony:
"Army Capt. John Billings also testified for the prosecution. Billings, who was Bergdahl's platoon leader in Afghanistan, said the platoon searched for Bergdahl for 19 days. He described wearing a filthy uniform while looking for the then-private first class."
"Cols. Clint Baker and John White also testified to the trying circumstances. One platoon was out for more than a month and had to have socks airdropped."
I'd say Bergdahl probably did have something to talk to headquarters about.

xoxoxoBruce 11-06-2017 05:53 PM

If you're a platoon leader, you have a man missing, and you can't explain for sure exactly why, I think it would behoove you to do everything you can to find him.
Besides, it's better than staying at base with your CO yelling at you. :haha: