The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Seattle, WA (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7793)

BigV 07-17-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 820176)
snip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 820179)
snip

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 820223)
snip

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 820324)
snip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 820478)
snip

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 820582)
snip

Ok, smarties... who among you has actually tried lutefisk? Just because you read about how the sausage is made on Wikipedia doesn't make it any less delicious. Come on... First hand, in your own mouth experience? Eat up or shut up. :D

Clodfobble 07-17-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey
Why wouldn't you just eat cod?

In all seriousness? Because you don't have modern refrigeration, and there are months out of the year where the fishing isn't enough to keep you alive. Gotta preserve it somehow.

But someone should have explained to them that high volumes of salt work better than lye. And anyone still eating them after about 1870 has no excuse at all, including BigV. :)

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 820684)
Eat up or shut up. :D

No, for the same reason I won't eat dog shit.

Cyber Wolf 07-18-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Ok, smarties... who among you has actually tried lutefisk? Just because you read about how the sausage is made on Wikipedia doesn't make it any less delicious. Come on... First hand, in your own mouth experience? Eat up or shut up. :D

I haven't tried it only because I could smell it coming and had time to escape.

BigV 07-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 820716)
In all seriousness? Because you don't have modern refrigeration, and there are months out of the year where the fishing isn't enough to keep you alive. Gotta preserve it somehow.

But someone should have explained to them that high volumes of salt work better than lye. And anyone still eating them after about 1870 has no excuse at all, including BigV. :)

There's no lye taste (or residue, as far as I know) at all. Any of you had hominy grits? Yep, processed with lye. No little Xs for eyes because of that breakfast, right?

It was delicious, like any steamed fish. It was prepared with salt and pepper and a little parsley and lemon. I'm cracking up at your collective EWWW! This must feel like the guy who ate the first oyster felt. "No, *really*, they're delicious!"

... whatever, more for me. :)

BigV 07-18-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 820719)
No, for the same reason I won't eat dog shit.

Ok, Cheborneck. How do you know?

glatt 07-18-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 820758)
TThis must feel like the guy who ate the first oyster felt. "No, *really*, they're delicious!"

Comparing them to oysters isn't helping your case.

Sundae 07-18-2012 01:46 PM

I have to come to Seattle!
I've thought this before (because of this thread) and now do so again.
Not fussed about the coffee, the weather will be familiar but I am partial to a bit of seafood. Well, all seafood really.

The other night I was following random links while waiting for something to upload. I found a list of America's most popular Chain Restaurants and spent about 45 minutes browsing the menus (my original intention clean forgotten).

Cracker Barrel filled me with horror.
But I started Lottery-Dreaming when I got to Red Lobster, imagining taking my Mum.
Eating Lobster Thermidore in a restaurant is on her bucket list. I know it's hardly haute cuisine, but it would suit her down to the ground.

One day, one day.

Clodfobble 07-18-2012 06:07 PM

Well, you don't have to limit yourself to Seattle, based on those desires. There are Red Lobsters (and Cracker Barrels, for that matter) all over the US.

orthodoc 07-18-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Uncle, uncle ...

But now I don't understand. If it's just basically steamed fish with salt and pepper, parsley and lemon, why the big eating contest?

And I LOVE oysters. Raw only, never cooked; so I guess other people can say eeewwwwww at my tastes. Maybe I'd better put my money where my mouth is and mosey on over to Seattle to try me some lutefisk. ;)

and some oysters

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 820758)
Any of you had hominy grits?

That shit is gross.

classicman 07-18-2012 11:30 PM

horny what?

footfootfoot 07-19-2012 04:47 AM

"...sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie..."

@ clodfobble's salt vs. lye: I'm guessing wood ash was a lot easier to come by than salt, despite being so close to the ocean. But, I'm thinking this recipe may have evolved as a result of salvaging a serious fucked up food cache

Sundae 07-19-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 820845)
Well, you don't have to limit yourself to Seattle, based on those desires. There are Red Lobsters (and Cracker Barrels, for that matter) all over the US.

I know. But I want to see Seattle too.
And obv BigV could point me in the direction of a really good seafood place.

Undertoad 07-19-2012 12:29 PM

In my experience, there are no seafood places in Seattle which are not really good. I was there for a week and every night, the process of finding a dinner restaurant consisted of walking down to the waterfront and picking a seafood place at random.