The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

Lamplighter 08-17-2013 11:02 AM

Our town is built around a lake, and on summer mornings there are a lot of joggers doing the "lake run".
This morning it was the lady's turn. These semi-organized events start at the town mall.

As I was driving in towards town, I met the first bevy of the runners.
...those tall, lanky, lean people with fast twitch muscles that can run forever one just one deep breath.
As I drove along I noticed the women were getting shorter, heavier, and redder in the face.
The further I drove, the more pronounced the changes.
I know I sometimes have a sick sense of humor, and the gradient started tickling me.
But there it was.

Then I came upon what turned out to be the last runner.
She was very heavy set, red of face, bent over breathing heavily
through her mouth, and obviously in distress.
I stopped to ask if she was OK, and she was not.
She agreed to a ride back to the mall to call her family.

So now it's doesn't seem quite so funny, and it bothers me that these
health-seeking runners would run off and leave someone it that sort of situation.

Griff 08-17-2013 11:28 AM

In their defense, she probably fell off the back of the pack well before she was in trouble, but she shouldn't have been exposed like that. You'd like to put the onus on the individual but sometimes folks really don't know what the are or are not capable of. Honest doctors could help the situation but some are afraid to alienate patients.

Folks really need to stick with controlled situation exercise until they're fit enough to feel their limitations and take reasonable chances. This is a worry for me at the fencing club as we're all just amateurs we don't have any physiologists among us. We could get someone with a health issue they hide or are unaware of and end up with a tragedy.

I find your gradient comment amusing. btw

Clodfobble 08-17-2013 03:42 PM

At the more-organized events, they usually have a vehicle bringing up the rear of the peloton, as it were. Sounds like this one was just barely big enough for anonymity. Hope she recovered.

monster 08-17-2013 03:51 PM

The blame lies with the "organizers" without a doubt.

Maybe she did lie about or was unaware of her poor fitness level. But they should have someone watching all parts of the course if it's an organized race, or an experienced runner bringing up the rear if it's just a workout.

Gravdigr 08-18-2013 10:23 AM

What's scorching your groove today?

Fill the goddamned ice tray.

footfootfoot 11-14-2016 05:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A. I ordered the upper rear suspension mount bracket as part of an entire strut shock assembly last week and have been patiently awaiting its arrival. I get a message that my payment is being refunded because the seller says "The part was damaged." BS detector is redlined. More likely "Holy shit the part was underpriced by about $100. and there's no way we'll sell it to you for that, so we're gonna tell you the part is damaged."

I emailed them asking, "Exactly in what way is the part damaged? I'll take it as is since I only need it for parts." No answer from them only deepens my suspicions. I think I will fuck up their 100% positive feedback if I don't hear back from them.

Car is still up on blocks since I still can't get those frozen bolts loose, Torch, PB blaster, SeaFoam, 3 foot cheater bar... AND opening day is this saturday. FML.

B. A few weeks ago the motor on my lathe was seriously smoking like a mofo, so I blasted it with air and it seemed better. Today I was trying to do some more turning and the thing froze up. I took it apart to trouble shoot it but it's pretty much fucked. It doesn't really owe me anything; I pulled it off an old fridge 20 years ago but still. Trying to get shit made for the craft fairs and an upcoming turning job this week. FML.

I have a vintage Singer Sewing machine motor that I was going to put it into service despite needing to fuck around with the mounting system It weighs about 45 pounds and is designed for continuous use sewing upholstery. Plug it in to test if It runs.

It runs. Backwards. Fucking fuck.

It's got two pairs of wires coming out of the body that are twisted together. I thought maybe by futzing around with them I might be able to reverse the polarity of the motor. There's no indication of the motor if this is possible. I unsplice them and try running one of the two. The motor makes an impressive motor running noise but does not actually run. I decide I need to stop and research this thing. It has a clutch and a brake but I took those off. While it might be cool to have a clutch and brake on my lathe, I'm not really up for that level of fucking around with things right now.

Gonna do some research on this motor.

xoxoxoBruce 11-14-2016 05:07 PM

How do you know it's going the wrong way, is the rotation marked?

footfootfoot 11-14-2016 06:56 PM

I can see it going the wrong way, I put a temporary plug on it and ran it.

Also, I don't approve of the company it keeps. Sewing hooligans.

xoxoxoBruce 11-14-2016 07:03 PM

But how do you know which way it's supposed to go? It may be the wrong rotation for your application but what about the original application?

footfootfoot 11-15-2016 12:57 AM

Oh, It's going the correct way for its original application, the sewing machine, but wrong for the lathe. I asked an electrician friend to have a look at it to reverse the direction.

I don't understand the double wire thing.

xoxoxoBruce 11-15-2016 01:05 AM

I'm sure it has a starting circuit that drops out when it's up to speed.
All it takes is two gears to change the direction of rotation.

glatt 11-15-2016 07:12 AM

or point it the other direction

Clodfobble 11-15-2016 12:52 PM

Or just remind it that direction is a choice, and send it to motor conversion therapy.

Gravdigr 11-15-2016 02:56 PM

Maybe find a motor younger than you are?

footfootfoot 11-15-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 973670)
I'm sure it has a starting circuit that drops out when it's up to speed.
All it takes is two gears to change the direction of rotation.

It does, I've called an electrician friend in on the case; I'm out of my depth, here. I'd have to go searching for gears...

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 973678)
or point it the other direction

No room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 973694)
Or just remind it that direction is a choice, and send it to motor conversion therapy.

You've been in Texas too long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 973709)
Maybe find a motor younger than you are?

Yeah, and they're all like, "How long will I have to run? How many volts will you give me? I can't start because I want to hang out with my friends. I need to take a break for a half an hour.