The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Local Still Matters (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33597)

Clodfobble 07-07-2018 11:37 AM

Local Still Matters

Just read an article in our neighborhood paper (which is delivered to us for free and I was bored, otherwise I admit I wouldn't notice) saying that our county (not the one that contains the bulk of Austin, so not liberal in the slightest) had just voted 4-to-1 to sever the contract between ICE and a residential facility run with government funds. It doesn't house children, but does house women, some of whom were recently separated from their kids. Won't go into effect until January, but after that ICE can't use it for their detainees at any price.

The article noted that 150 people with signs "filled the hall," and went out of its way to note the name of the board member who voted against, as well as the fact that she attempted to bring the matter into a private session instead and the other members voted her down. Only 150 people made that happen! Gives me a sliver of hope for the world.

sexobon 07-07-2018 11:48 AM

I thought this was going to be about moonshiners and revenuers. I am disappoint.

Griff 07-07-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1011302)
Just read an article in our neighborhood paper (which is delivered to us for free and I was bored, otherwise I admit I wouldn't notice) saying that our county (not the one that contains the bulk of Austin, so not liberal in the slightest) had just voted 4-to-1 to sever the contract between ICE and a residential facility run with government funds. It doesn't house children, but does house women, some of whom were recently separated from their kids. Won't go into effect until January, but after that ICE can't use it for their detainees at any price.

The article noted that 150 people with signs "filled the hall," and went out of its way to note the name of the board member who voted against, as well as the fact that she attempted to bring the matter into a private session instead and the other members voted her down. Only 150 people made that happen! Gives me a sliver of hope for the world.

Sanity, bottom up.

sexobon 07-07-2018 02:17 PM

They found a way to get those lyin', thievin', rapin', murderin' illegal immigrants out of their neighborhood and spin it so it looks like they're thumbing their nose at ICE. I won't be surprised if other localities jump on that bandwagon.

henry quirk 07-07-2018 03:17 PM

I'm no fan of NIMBY, but...

...if enough folks, everywhere, did this, then mebbe instead of 'detaining' we could just 'deport' (swiftly), so kudos to the good people of Clod's county for showin' us the way!

Clodfobble 07-08-2018 09:50 AM

Something to keep in mind when you're reading these articles about the terrible conditions at these facilities: it's not like they were empty before. These are the places American kids entering the foster system or with mental illness already go.

Griff 07-08-2018 11:33 AM

Watching the cps merry go round here is pretty depressing. High needs kids of unfit parents have nowhere to go. I'm sure Henry's voluntary association crowd will step right up though, no state involvement needed. /sarcasm

henry quirk 07-09-2018 09:33 AM

Henry's voluntary association crowd will step right up

Some might.

I won't.

#

The distaste expressed for 'voluntary association' might lead one to believe you favor 'involuntary association'.

Say it ain't so, Griff.

Griff 07-09-2018 03:51 PM

I was on team voluntary association but there are big holes in what gets done. We all gotta pay our taxes, accepting DJT. That would be, in libertarian parlance, an involuntary association so yeah turns out I believe in it.

BigV 07-09-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1011416)
I was on team voluntary association but there are big holes in what gets done. We all gotta pay our taxes, excepting DJT. That would be, in libertarian parlance, an involuntary association so yeah turns out I believe in it.

FTFY

Griff 07-10-2018 05:49 AM

Ha! Got me!