The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   10/27/2004: Fuel tanker crash melts bridge (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7104)

Undertoad 10-27-2004 01:01 PM

10/27/2004: Fuel tanker crash melts bridge

http://cellar.org/2004/alabamatruck1.jpg

xoxoxoBruce points to this group of photos from Ernie's House of Whoopass. This fuel tanker crashed and burned at one of Alabama's busiest highway interchanges during morning rush hour. Truck didn't handle the curve, overturned, and... WHOOM. Right under the bridge it all went up, creating a fire so hot that it literally melted the damn bridge. It's at the intersection of Interstates 20/59 and 65, now intersected a little more closely. They'll have to demolish and rebuild that, or at least lower the weight limit to one stout guy on a bicycle.

http://cellar.org/2004/alabamatruck8.jpg

Almost nothing left of the truck! :eek:

http://cellar.org/2004/alabamatruck11.jpg

Seven more images at EHOWA.

404Error 10-27-2004 01:24 PM

Bad year for melted bridges. Same thing happened in CT back in March, causing quite the traffic nightmare for weeks afterwards.

Quote:

"At the height of the heat, the actual bridge almost touched the ground, it went down so far, and then as the firefighters poured water and foam on the fire, it contracted, and it left that buckling effect," Rowland told reporters Friday morning.
IIRC the woman that caused the accident was ticketed for an improper lane change. :eyebrow:

Cyber Wolf 10-27-2004 01:49 PM

I'm surprised that hasn't happened at the I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange area in Richmond, VA. That whole loop-de-loop is a bloody mess, especially if you're trying to get onto on I-195 from I-95 south. There's a lot of blind curves in the throughlanes.

BrianR 10-27-2004 01:51 PM

I wish there was a way for me to use these images in class tonight!

Trilby 10-27-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR
I wish there was a way for me to use these images in class tonight!

Another go-round in traffic school?

LabRat 10-27-2004 03:44 PM

:yum: suddenly I am craving a s'more...

xoxoxoBruce 10-27-2004 06:04 PM

A couple years ago in Springfield, MA, an LPG truck caught fire under I-95. They were affraid to try towing or even go near it for fear of setting off an explosion. They let it burn itself out. It only took a day and a half. :eek3:

Griff 10-28-2004 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Another go-round in traffic school?

He's going pro if I'm not mistaken.

russotto 10-28-2004 09:42 AM

Didn't this happen in Delaware a few years back? Burned ON the bridge, not under it. And tangentially related, there was the I-95 tire fire which destroyed the highway.

mmmBoy 10-28-2004 12:13 PM

Down in the OC a few years ago a truck was carying hay for one of the theme parks. The load on the trailer caught fire but the driver didn't notice and drove for miles with a burning load of hay. The burning hay blew into the underbrush along the highway igniting miles of the I-5. The driver finally stopped when the fire reached the cab.

wolf 10-28-2004 05:47 PM

I got a public safety page today regarding a hazardous materials incident at one of our nearby turnpike interchanges ... what was the hazardous material you may wonder? Fuel? Benzene? That acid that dripped out of the Alien if you managed to somehow hurt it?

Nope.

20,000 gallons of ... milk.

I don't know anything further about the incident, but some overtired, undertrained truckdriver must have hit the ramp too fast and lost control in one of our infamous decreasing radius turns ...

Cyber Wolf 10-28-2004 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
I got a public safety page today regarding a hazardous materials incident at one of our nearby turnpike interchanges ... what was the hazardous material you may wonder? Fuel? Benzene? That acid that dripped out of the Alien if you managed to somehow hurt it?

Nope.

20,000 gallons of ... milk.

I don't know anything further about the incident, but some overtired, undertrained truckdriver must have hit the ramp too fast and lost control in one of our infamous decreasing radius turns ...

Milk is pretty bloody hazardous if left to its own devices.

Guess 10-28-2004 06:31 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that hasn't happened at the I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange area in Richmond, VA.
Another Cellarite from Richmond! Way cool! :thumbsup: Actually, I live in Hanover, but I go to school in Richmond.

One question- What happened to the driver? There's been no word on him- Did he survive or was he s'mored?

tw 10-28-2004 11:47 PM

Each picture is perfect for those who love the emotion attached to an event. That's not me. Why did this crash occur? What was the mistake he made so that all others never make that mistake again?

For example, where is the hole where that tanker crashed off the bridge? If it crashed off before the bridge and down the grass embankment, then why are the lower roadway guardrails intact? If this roadway has a sharp curve, then where is that curve?

In short, the pictures were taken from the perspective of hype and not from the perspective of facts. That, unfortunately, is what too many do - especially news reporters. I have no problem with rubberneckers slowing down to look at a crash IF and only IF it results in people learning not to make that mistake. Yes, I am rare. I don't like hype. I want to see every gory detail complete with blood and the dying face IF it provides significant fact. I want to see those gory details so that others don't censure important information.

Unfortunately these truck crash pictures are woefully short of information other than how seriously a bridge can be damaged by 5000 gallons of gasoline.

Some decades ago, a tanker was driving up the Schulkyll Expressway from NJ. A support member to trailer rear suspension broke free. The trailer continued on - no one warning him that a strut was dragging on the road. That strut caught the pavement when the truck was under/adjacent to 30th Street Station - the Amtrak and Septa rail station for Philadelphia. Fortunately the truck just emerged from 30th Street before the trailer upended creating a same type of fire.

IOW this story is probably little known because a big hype event did not happen. However those who are concerned with reality see no difference from this event AND what would have happened had the trailer upended under/adjacent to 30th Street Station. We are suppose to learn from events - not be enthralled by a 'cool' picture.

Recently, I smelled something familiar. So I changed direction to follow the smell. Caught up with a trailer where the brakes had locked and were in combustion. Smoke was heavy and woefully obvious. Others simply passed the truck and trailer without word. After much effort, I pulled the truck over. Surprised truck driver sat there with a fire extinguisher while calling for assistance. Same people who never made the effort to save potential victims in 30th Street station also never informed this truck driver of a potentially catastrophic event.

We don't even know if the truck driver survived in the topmost pictures. We have been provided so few facts from the pictures as to learn almost nothing. That's not cool.

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2004 12:54 AM

From the link in UT's post;
Quote:

A fuel tanker crashed and burned at one of Alabama's busiest highway interchanges during morning rush hour today. The fiery wreck partially melted a bridge and could result in months of traffic problems while the overpass is demolished and replaced. The wreck -- which occurred at the intersection of Interstates 20/59 and 65 -- was the second such crash at "malfunction junction" since January 2002. Authorities said a tanker carrying fuel overturned in a curve about 7 a.m., spilling an estimated 9,000 gallons of fuel that erupted into flames and sent a huge column of black smoke skyward.
Nothing in the pictures or text about "tanker crashed off the bridge". The additional "Seven more images", Ut mentioned were at the link, show more of the crash scene. The guard rails are intact because he/she didn't hit them, the truck rolled. The link shows the crash scene, UT showed the fire damage, neither mention the fate of the driver which would be the human interest or emotional angle.
TW- You jumped the gun, an emotional mini-lecture without checking the complete story.......this time. :p
UT- It's always a good post when it stirs the imagination and curiosity to look into it further. :thumbsup: