The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

dar512 10-20-2009 10:26 AM

Mrs. Dar and I watched Chinatown Sunday night. It's supposed to be a classic, but neither of us cared much for it.

wolf 10-25-2009 03:00 PM

Not a DVD ... Milk was the HBO premiere movie last night.

It seemed like a cleaned up caricature of gay life in San Francisco in the 1970s. They mentioned some of the things like bathhouses, but seemed more intent on presenting a stable LTR kind of gay couple rather than the wild, amyl-soaked scene that I heard of from my friends in the pre-HIV days.

wolf 10-29-2009 08:36 PM

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

wolf 10-30-2009 08:26 PM

Not DVD, Magic Box ...

Wire in the Blood, Season 1
MI-5, Season 1 (Ran in the UK as "Spooks")
30 Second Bunny Theater, Seasons 1, 2, & 3
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
Modified (Cloud, you might enjoy this if you haven't seen it, but it's really extreme stuff)
Jihad for Love
We Shall Remain

wolf 12-15-2009 01:57 PM

Taken - Lots of action, and lots of Liam Neeson.

The Wire - Season 1 - Disc 1
One of the cow orkers was going on and on about how cool this is. I kind of remember watching the first episode on HBO and never continued with the series. It's a pretty basic cop drama, with (because it's HBO) a lot more cursing, so you think it's edgier than Homicide, which was also shot in Baltimore. This doesn't have Richard Belzer or a Andre Braugher to save it. The Snot Boogie exchange at the very beginning of Episode 1 was pretty funny, but it goes downhill from there. Mostly I've been watching to see what actor from Oz is going to show up next.

Super Size Me - Man, what a stupid documentary.

The Tudors - now this is awesome television. Season 1 is over and Henry VIII is still not divorced. Just starting on Season 2.

Wire in the Blood - Watching my way through the whole series. It's available on netflix watch instantly, which is my new favorite thing. I have the Roku box for the TV and it is AWESOME.

glatt 12-15-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 617756)
The Wire - Season 1 - Disc 1

I absolutely loved The Wire, but it took a few episodes before I got hooked. It's epic. It just builds and builds and builds from one episode to the next.

Happy Monkey 12-15-2009 02:09 PM

The Wire is the best show ever made.

Clodfobble 12-15-2009 02:38 PM

It's okay wolf, I feel ya. Mr. Clod was apeshit over The Wire too, but I could never get into it no matter how many episodes I sat along for.

Shawnee123 12-27-2009 12:57 PM

I'm bad at watching my netflix movies, but am trying to improve. :p

Yesterday I watched Gerry. Wow. If you like action, this is not the movie for you. To me, the way their desperation built, it was wonderful. The cinematography is beautiful, even letter-boxed on my small TV. Casey Affleck (never been a big fan of the Ben but I love me some Casey) and Matt Damon wrote and starred in, and the director was Gus Van Sant.

I was very tense watching it, and I think that is partly due to my really bad sense of direction and the frustration I feel when lost...this much grander scale of such a thing fascinated me.

I recommend it, but again, not if you prefer a lot of action. A lot of action is the opposite of this movie. :)

edit: oh, and I liked the music, too.

jinx 12-27-2009 08:42 PM

Charlie Wilson's War. Loved it. The history is fun, the script is really, really good.

glatt 12-27-2009 09:14 PM

Last night we watched It Might Get Loud, a documentary about electric guitars with The Edge, Jimmy Page, and Jack White talking and playing together. I recommend it, and I recommend that you put the sound through your stereo and turn it up a little.

The coolest part for me was The Edge demonstrating his guitar playing with and without effects and him talking about playing with his own effects like he was playing with another player. I'm not a guitarist, so maybe somebody who knows about that stuff would find it boring, but I thought it was good.

jinx 12-27-2009 09:19 PM

I've been wanting to see that, it was only in one theater in Philly when it came out... Didn't know it was on dvd/netflix yet - thanks for the tip.

edit: I :heartpump jack white...

Shawnee123 12-28-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 620953)
Charlie Wilson's War. Loved it. The history is fun, the script is really, really good.

I know one of the ladies who was actually on staff with Charlie, one of the "Charlie's Angels." She is best friend of my ex sis-in-law who worked on Capitol Hill on staff for another guy.

I had some beers with her this summer. She is still georgeous, tall, leggy, smart...and had some great stories! She also said the portrayal was pretty accurate. She told Tom Hanks at the premiere "and we still have great tits."

:lol:

Clodfobble 01-03-2010 11:37 PM

Dollhouse season 1. I'm already so sad this got cancelled. :(

capnhowdy 01-04-2010 05:21 AM

Marine 2 was pretty good.