The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   meeting new people (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11891)

bbro 09-29-2006 08:39 AM

meeting new people

So how exactly does one go about meeting new people? I have no idea where to start or even where to go with this being a fairly new city, but I would like to meet new people, friends and otherwise.

Any ideas?

morethanpretty 09-29-2006 09:08 AM

I normally run around outside naked until the police lock me up. There is nothing better to force you to get to know others than spending 24hrs sharing a tiny space w/ them and absolutely no privacy. Just hope that no one has a serious flatulance problem.

bbro 09-29-2006 09:37 AM

Gee, that helps.

glatt 09-29-2006 09:51 AM

Get a job, meet co-workers.

Join a club, meet others with similar interests.

Join a church, meet others with similar religious background.

Go to bars, meet drunks.

Go online to dating website, meet others for possible romantic encounter.

Have kids? Go to playground, meet other parents; go to nature center programs, meet other parents; go to library story time, meet other parents; etc.

Have a dog? Go to dog park, meet other dog owners.

Take an adult education class on pottery or something, meet others with similar interest.

Undertoad 09-29-2006 09:58 AM

We aren't good enough for ya?

Griff 09-29-2006 10:14 AM

The puppy in the park routine is a good one. Even if you don't meet anyone, you've got a cute little friend!

bbro 09-29-2006 10:36 AM

I would love a puppy, but he would be alone for most of the day and I don't want to to that to him. I would rather wait until I have a house with a backyard for him to run around in.

I have emailed an art program here to find out about pottery, I really like doing it, too. Even if I don't meet many people, at least it is a stress reliever for me.

No kids, no religion, internet only at work. I do have a job, but there's not many people who I want to hang out with outside of work.
What do you mean by a club??

I have met plenty of drunks at my local bar, but I wanted more than that. Maybe even people my own age. No one that I know from there is near my age, they are all about 10 or more years older. One guy only hangs out in a bar and he's been getting on my nerves badly. The other women all have children that they usually need to worry about first (I say usually because a couple are divorced and don't have kids sometimes)

My biggest problem is that I am shy and the bar helps with that, that is why I spend so much time there (that and I am a closet drunk), but that's not all I like to do, ya know?

And yes, UT, you are good enough, but it doesn't help to take you with me when I want to go to the movies or out to eat - carrying all the equipment for my Desktop is not that easy!

cableguy 09-29-2006 10:58 AM

So what else DO you like to do?

morethanpretty 09-29-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro
Gee, that helps.

Sorry that was the best idea I could come up w/...I went to the same school all through and have known certain ppl since k-garten. Now I go to a community college that is 20 min away from my town and which a large amount of my graduating class are attending...I saw my blue eyed lover-boy (whom which I have never romantically loved) just a few minutes ago. And I ride w/ one of my friends that I've had since 8th grade. Other than that I chat it up with my associates at work and other classmates.

Undertoad 09-29-2006 11:09 AM

meetup.com maybe?

glatt 09-29-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro
What do you mean by a club??

Well, it can mean pretty much anything.

Here in DC you can join kickball leagues, or softball leagues, you can join hiking clubs, rock climbing clubs, you can join environmental clubs, you can join gardening clubs, I can go on and on, but really there are clubs for many different things. If you are interested in a particular hobby, check out if there are any groups in your area that get together to do that hobby.

Classes are great, especially classes with interaction. Like pottery, woodworking, dancing, beadstringin, basket weaving, etc.

You can also volunteer for stuff that might be relatively popular. Clean up a park, work in a shelter.

Really the best way to meet other people is to do things with them. Share a common goal, and then get to know eachother along the way.

If you go to a public library, it will probably have a bulletin board with listings of groups and organizations that meet. Or just do a google seach for hobbies and your location.

bbro 09-29-2006 02:30 PM

hmm, never heard of meetup.com, I will have to look at it. Man, I really need a new computer and internet access!! Why oh why did I buy the washer and dryer??? And why is it easier for me to pay 1600 for a washer and dryer, but I have a problem spending 1200 on a laptop??

glatt - those are some good ideas. I never knew about clubs like that (I know sad) I am really excited about the pottery class, I just need to save the money. I think I might have enough in my change jar!

Trilby 09-29-2006 02:37 PM

My ex husband met his current girlfriend while walking his dog. But, he's a jerk, so, joke's on her.

yesman065 09-29-2006 04:03 PM

Bri you just made my weekend with that comment.

lumberjim 09-29-2006 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to carry a bunch of packages around the city streets until a dashing stranger bumps into you and spills them all. I think that's when true love happens. i could be wrong