The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grenfell Blaze (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32858)

footfootfoot 06-14-2017 12:28 AM

Grenfell Blaze

So, apparently a 24 story apartment building in the UK has been burning like a motherfucking inferno for a while now, entirely engulfed in flame, and yet, and yet, it hasn't completely collapsed onto its own footprint in the manner of a controlled demolition.

How truly bizarre that the laws of physics only apply in the UK.

Griff 06-14-2017 06:09 AM

Grim.

glatt 06-14-2017 07:41 AM

After reading Clodfobble's MGM Grand story over on Damn Interesting, I am very curious to find out WTF happened in this UK apartment fire. No sprinklers? Something else? How can this happen?

Gravdigr 06-14-2017 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Helluva scene greeted me this morning:

Attachment 60906

Gravdigr 06-14-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 990730)
So, apparently a 24 story apartment building in the UK has been burning like a motherfucking inferno for a while now, entirely engulfed in flame, and yet, and yet, it hasn't completely collapsed onto its own footprint in the manner of a controlled demolition.

How truly bizarre that the laws of physics only apply in the UK.

Rly?:eyebrow:

Undertoad 06-14-2017 08:46 AM

It's shocking because of how rare it is.

Quote:

After reading Clodfobble's MGM Grand story over on Damn Interesting, I am very curious to find out WTF happened
Agreed all around

Gravdigr 06-14-2017 09:26 AM

Musta been built by immigrants.

tw 06-14-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 990760)

Shocking are known facts. That building was not required to have sprinklers. Compare the building to firemen's water streams.

Philadelphia has a similar problem in a 30 some story building adjacent to City Hall. Due to no sprinklers, that fire simply marched up the floors. Three firemen died in that one. One watchman almost died when he took the elevator up to discover why a fire alarm (that he kept resetting) was repeatedly going off.

To fight that fire, firemen actually put hoses into windows of adjacent buildings to get water onto fire.

One difference. The Philadelphia building was built by domestics for domestics. That London building was built by domestics knowing it would also house immigrants. A comment only necessary due to blunt contempt one has for immigrants.

Gravdigr 06-14-2017 10:41 AM

So, TW, what you are telling us is that London has different/separate building codes for buildings which are intended for immigrants?

Where can the rest of us find this damning information?

Now, go ahead, repeat your post 22 times.

Gravdigr 06-14-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 990766)
Musta been built by immigrants.

This, btw, was a pathetic attempt at sarcastic humor.

That shit TW posted was just pathetic.

I sincerely apologize, to The Cellar, and to the world, if my post brought out The TW.

Happy Monkey 06-14-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 990760)

On NPR, an (ex fireman) MP mentioned that there have been a few worldwide (ie, still rare, but potentially a pattern), where one factor was counterfeit materials claiming to be fire resistant, so even if a builder thought they were following code, they weren't. He was particularly concerned with the 'cladding', ie the outward-facing layer of the building, which burned much faster than it ought to.

footfootfoot 06-14-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 990743)
Rly?:eyebrow:

Being sarcastic about the fantasy that a small, smoky fire that went out fairly quickly somehow managed to cause the buildings at WTC to completely pancake in about six seconds or close to 32f/s^2.

A one in several hijillion squintillion to one chance of it happening twice in the same universe.

9-11 Never forget.

Happy Monkey 06-14-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

a small, smoky fire that went out fairly quickly
Yeah.... no.

DanaC 06-14-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 990817)
Yeah.... no.

Right? That threw me a little too.

xoxoxoBruce 06-14-2017 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was exhausting work...