The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   March 30, 2007: Dog-sized cane toad (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13725)

Undertoad 03-30-2007 01:38 PM

March 30, 2007: Dog-sized cane toad

http://cellar.org/2007/canetoad.jpg

Laides and gentlemen, the cane toad. Not just any cane toad, but a really big-ass one! According to this BBC story,

Quote:

A giant cane toad the size of a small dog and nicknamed Toadzilla has been captured in northern Australia.

Toadzilla is the biggest cane toad ever found in Australia's Northern Territory and weighs just under two pounds, according to an environmental group.
Our Aussie friends are familiar with the cane toad, also know as the marine toad. They're a menace there, but you have to enjoy this big-ass one. Lookatim! Big guy!

Sundae 03-30-2007 01:39 PM

That'll take a lot of licking

glatt 03-30-2007 01:40 PM

As big as a very very small dog.

Sheldonrs 03-30-2007 01:43 PM

If you want this one to turn into a Prince, you're gonna need some tongue action in that kiss.

barefoot serpent 03-30-2007 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paris Hilton will have it made into a purse to carry her dog.

HungLikeJesus 03-30-2007 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is all I have to say about that:

glatt 03-30-2007 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been saving this one for a while. Doesn't really stand on it's own, but it fits right in on this thread.

Kagen4o4 03-30-2007 04:26 PM

thats a funny name for them, i'd a called em jazwazza's

us here in victoria dont see them at all

Trilby 03-30-2007 05:19 PM

/homer/ "I'm not NOT licking toads," /homer/

Slothboy 03-30-2007 06:06 PM

Why is "dog" the universal measurment for the size of other animals? It seems like it would be more accurate to say that toad (undertoad?) is the size of a cat, or maybe a bunny.

I think the average dog is much bigger than that.

bluesdave 03-30-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kagen4o4 (Post 328740)
us here in victoria dont see them at all

They are currently approaching Sydney, believe it or not. Apparently the toad has adapted to our climate to such a degree that they are comfortable in cooler climates. Only time will tell if they make it down to your neck of the woods - hopefully not. :worried:

Brianna, it is just as well that you have no desire to lick a Cane Toad - they are extremely poisonous. They have two poison glands on their back, just behind their head, and eject this poison when threatened. They have killed millions of our native animals, though surprisingly some have adapted, and learned to eat the toads and avoid the poison glands.

xoxoxoBruce 03-31-2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slothboy (Post 328760)
Why is "dog" the universal measurment for the size of other animals? It seems like it would be more accurate to say that toad (undertoad?) is the size of a cat, or maybe a bunny.

I think the average dog is much bigger than that.

Because dogs come from huge to teacup, using a dog, you can't be wrong until they are pony sized.

Gawa 03-31-2007 03:45 AM

ewww....the guy holding him will need a large tube of Wart-B-Gone:thepain:

Karenv 03-31-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesdave (Post 328789)
Brianna, it is just as well that you have no desire to lick a Cane Toad - they are extremely poisonous. They have two poison glands on their back, just behind their head, and eject this poison when threatened. They have killed millions of our native animals, though surprisingly some have adapted, and learned to eat the toads and avoid the poison glands.

Cane toad venom is used to create the hallucinogenic experience used in zombification, along with datura "zombie cucumber" and blowfish poison to create the illusion that they are dead. The guys designated as future zombies (usually for some really bad behavior) are unwittingly given the cane frog and blowfish poison, appear to die, are burried for a couple of days while the fugu wears off, then are dug up slightly after awakening in a coffin and addicted to datura while they work as slaves. Haitian traditional capital punnishment.

Karenv 03-31-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 328703)
This is all I have to say about that:

Obviously frogs, thank heavens or the kid in the lower photo would be dead.

I have Chinese sore throat medicine made from toad venom along with other delightful ingredients. The pills are smaller than the head of a pin because it is so toxic. But they will vanquish strep like nothing else.