The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Computers SUCK!!! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34059)

fargon 02-01-2019 09:06 AM

Computers SUCK!!!

All of my passwords are gone from google chrome, and when I try tio re-set them I get no response from the web site. I hate computers.

Carruthers 02-01-2019 10:30 AM

I had similar trouble when Firefox updated itself.
I had to resort to my folder full of scraps of paper and start from scratch.
Sense of humour failure ensued.

Gravdigr 02-01-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1024684)
All of my passwords are gone from google chrome, and when I try tio re-set them I get no response from the web site. I hate computers.

Try a System Restore to a date before the passwords were lost.

I thank Big V for saving me once with that piece of advice.:notworthy

FF updating itself...I've never found automatic anything to be of help.

Glinda 02-02-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1024686)
I had similar trouble when Firefox updated itself.
I had to resort to my folder full of scraps of paper and start from scratch.
Sense of humour failure ensued.

This has happened to me (and everyone, I imagine) far more times than it should. A few months ago, when it happened yet again, I got fed up and wrote out a sheet with all my login/password info for every damned site I've ever visited, plus the date of the most recent password change. I keep a hard copy by my desktop and my laptop stations.

Yeah, they say don't do that, but fuck that shit. My brain isn't what it used to be and if someone really wants to drive through the backwoods to break into my house and then into my computer using my nifty (but well hidden) cheat sheets, I guess they're just gonna have to bring it.

Until then, I'm cheat-sheetin' it without apology. :p:

Undertoad 02-02-2019 11:03 AM

A piece of paper is a fine method.

Here's what the pros do... it's inferior to paper, in a lot of ways.

Use the Keepass password manager

This manager uses a secure database file; you enter one password to be able to read that database file. So, instead of having 50 passwords, you have one password to remember, the password to that database file.

Problem: if you lose that database file, you lose all your passwords.

Solution: put the file on a cloud drive.*

Then, you can install the iPhone/Android Keepass port, and tell the app to use the database file from the cloud**. At that point, you have your passwords available on desktop and on your phone, and you can update the database from either location. (Just remember to hit SAVE.)

*You should probably back up the database file locally anyway, in case you don't trust your cloud provider or, more likely, you manage to mungle the file in some other way.

One good way to back up the file is to just print all your passwords. Put the printout wherever you used to keep the paper with all your passwords on it.

**I'm not sure all apps work with all cloud drive providers. Check with your app to see what it supports.

Diaphone Jim 02-02-2019 12:00 PM

I have that folder full of scraps of paper and I keep it right on the table right next to my monitor/keyboard.
The outside of the folder is a useful place, too.
I let IE keep most of the non-financial ones on automatic.

Glinda 02-02-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1024750)
A piece of paper is a fine method.

Here's what the pros do... it's inferior to paper, in a lot of ways.

Use the Keepass password manager

This manager uses a secure database file; you enter one password to be able to read that database file. So, instead of having 50 passwords, you have one password to remember, the password to that database file.

Problem: if you lose that database file, you lose all your passwords.

Solution: put the file on a cloud drive.*

Then, you can install the iPhone/Android Keepass port, and tell the app to use the database file from the cloud**. At that point, you have your passwords available on desktop and on your phone, and you can update the database from either location. (Just remember to hit SAVE.)

*You should probably back up the database file locally anyway, in case you don't trust your cloud provider or, more likely, you manage to mungle the file in some other way.

One good way to back up the file is to just print all your passwords. Put the printout wherever you used to keep the paper with all your passwords on it.

**I'm not sure all apps work with all cloud drive providers. Check with your app to see what it supports.

So complicated! :D

As for the cloud - I don't trust that shit as far as I can throw it. I put NOTHING on the cloud. I don't understand all the techno stuff to start with, so I have tons of questions.

Where is this cloud exactly? Who controls it? Who has access to my personal shit? If they break my personal shit, do they guarantee repairs or compensation? Doesn't the cloud work by sharing internet resources? Do I want my shit shared? Do I NEED my shit shared? And what about hacking or phishing or whatever? Big companies that use the cloud have data breaches all the freakin' time. My computer/data has never been breached, as far as I can tell. And aren't there viruses roaming around out there in the ether? :eek:

You know, I know precisely where my shit is at all times - behind firewalls and encrypted and virus protected and securely sealed and Lifelocked in a computer in a little house in the woods in butthole Washington. And that's where I'm gonna keep it. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjS-I9qVAAEyExK.jpg

fargon 02-02-2019 12:30 PM

I fixed it Keryx bought me a new laptop for my birthday, problem solved. And all my passwords came back.

Gravdigr 02-02-2019 01:41 PM

That's an expensive fix.

Gravdigr 02-02-2019 01:43 PM

Wait.

Chrome don't store the passwords on the computer?

Clodfobble 02-02-2019 04:16 PM

Nah, buddy. How else could they import them over to your smartphone?

fargon 02-02-2019 04:47 PM

I don't know how it works, but everything came back.

monster 02-02-2019 10:55 PM

phones suck too.

Dude111 02-02-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon

Im so sorry Fargon..... My browser (MyIE2) has a password system also (It stores login info in local files in its folder which are encrypted) but I havent ever used it.....

I hope you can get things back soon :)

xoxoxoBruce 02-03-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1024760)
Where is this cloud exactly? Who controls it? Who has access to my personal shit?

Cloud = Somebody else's computer.
Cloud = The thing that rains on your parade.
;)