The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rick Santorum: "mainline Protestants aren't real Christians" (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26906)

Pico and ME 02-26-2012 10:57 PM

How dare you belittle her response by saying she is wasting her breath.

Sam that was a great post.

classicman 02-26-2012 11:28 PM

I didn't even read past the first line or two.
Her rant, however eloquent had nothing to do with my conversation with Lamp.
I didn't belittle her at all.
Again since YOU appear rather slow on what I said. Try to focus this time...
Santorum is NEVER EVER going to get elected to ANYTHING.

Pico and ME 02-27-2012 12:00 AM

So the fuck what. His message, the bullshit he spouts regarding women, needs to be challenged..

Trilby 02-27-2012 06:30 AM

Maybe santorum is an avatar created to demonstrate to the religious whack jobs in the middle east that they don't hold the
patent on "crazy-ass leaders" ?

Trilby 02-27-2012 07:01 AM

Also just wondering if this guy recalls that Ceausescu outlawed
abortion?

infinite monkey 02-27-2012 07:29 AM

And satan infiltrated academia a long time ago. Mean old satan.

Quote:

But The Tampa Bay Tribune's PolitiFact news service is reporting that Santorum -- since 2008 -- has linked higher education to the work of Satan. In a 2008 talk at Ave Maria University, Santorum discussed the way Satan has attacked "great institutions of America."

Where did Satan start? According to Santorum, "The place where he was, in my mind, the most successful and first -- first successful was in academia. He understood pride of smart people. He attacked them at their weakest. They were in fact smarter than everybody else and could come up with something new and different -- pursue new truths, deny the existence of truth, play with it because they’re smart. And so academia a long time ago fell."

Quote:

Santorum's broadsides against higher education are producing considerable blog commentary -- and may even prompt some college presidents to speak out in ways that they normally avoid. Brian Rosenberg, the president of Macalester College, normally has a strict rule about not speaking out about politicians or policy debates, believing that the role of a president is to provide a space for all views to be heard, not to endorse a particular position or imply that a college has an official position on such issues. Rosenberg feels so strongly about this that he made it the subject of a convocation address that he adapted for an essay in 2009 for Inside Higher Ed.

But Santorum has tested Rosenberg's limits. He wrote in The Huffington Post that statements Santorum is making about higher ed are so wrong that it's appropriate for a college president to condemn them. "It is not much of a stretch, I would submit, to see the claims that (1) wanting to see more students attend college is bad for our country and (2) colleges are indoctrination mills, as ones with which a college president should publicly disagree, and that a presidential candidate who makes such claims is at least as much a threat to our collective mission as any law or court ruling," Rosenberg wrote. "So with all due respect to my responsibilities as a fundraiser and as a guardian of open discourse on my campus, I am prepared to make the case that stating publicly that I am appalled by the views of Rick Santorum is not only my right but my responsibility."

He added: "I am appalled by the views of Rick Santorum. Now excuse me while I go check on the water flow in the indoctrination mill on the northeast corner of the Macalester campus."
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...#ixzz1naDd1lLP

The guy is a whacked out nutjob.

BigV 02-27-2012 10:15 AM

Maybe he's upset with higher education because Obama wants everybody to go to college.
link
Quote:

It's snobby to want everyone to go to college. It's not stuck-up, though, to pursue a higher education.

Rick Santorum parsed the difference Sunday morning on NBC's "Meet The Press."

Appearing at a campaign stop in Troy, Mich., Santorum -- his voice thick with derision -- said on Saturday: "President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob. There are good, decent men and women who go out and work hard everyday and put their skills to test that aren't taught by some liberal college professor that [tries] to indoctrinate them."
Really man? A snob? What does that make Santorum with his college degrees?... A hypocrite?

infinite monkey 02-27-2012 10:20 AM

Oh yeah, he's a hypocrite.

Quote:

Rick Santorum, however, is doing so. As far back as December he was calling colleges "indoctrination centers" for the left, and he has questioned the idea that scientists know what they are talking about with regard to climate change. Starting a few weeks ago -- much to the amazement of many academics -- he started challenging the idea that more Americans should go to college. He has now repeated his criticisms, this time in front of cameras in an appearance Saturday in Troy, Mich. Santorum again called President Obama a "snob" for wanting all Americans to go to college. There are "good, decent men and women," Santorum said, who are proud of their skills that were "not taught by some liberal college professor." He added, comparing himself to President Obama: "He wants to remake you in his image. I want to create jobs so people can remake their children into their image, not his."
Quote:

Talking Points Memo, a liberal news site, on Saturday reported that Santorum -- in his unsuccessful re-election campaign to the Senate in 2006 -- seemed to endorse higher education policies remarkably similar to those of President Obama today. The site found a copy of Santorum's campaign website from that year, which said: "In addition to Rick's support of ensuring that primary and secondary schools in Pennsylvania are equipped for success, he is equally committed to ensuring [that] every Pennsylvanian has access to higher education. Rick Santorum has supported legislative solutions that provide loans, grants, and tax incentives to make higher education more accessible and affordable."

Not only did the website include Santorum endorsing higher education for all (Pennsylvanians), but it even quoted him as supporting federal spending for that purpose: "Rick Santorum supports increased funding for Pell Grants, and since 2001 funding for the Pell Grant program has increased by 47 percent. Pennsylvania students have benefited tremendously from Pell Grants; providing a college education for our state's youth who otherwise might not be able to afford one."
But Obama isn't pushing for hoity toity education like Snotorum implies:

Quote:

While Santorum's implication is that President Obama wants everyone to have a college education like his (a liberal arts degree followed by a law school, attending elite institutions), most of the Obama push for expanded higher education has been about community colleges and job-training programs. He has spoken far more about the need to give working class people tools to advance their careers (through certificate and associate degree programs) than he has about four-year liberal arts degrees.
The man is a menace to society and seriously needs to be stopped.

And I bet dollars to doughnuts he's in the back pocket of some for-profit.

SamIam 02-27-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 797921)
How dare you belittle her response by saying she is wasting her breath.

Sam that was a great post.

Why, thank you, Pico!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classicnan
WTF are you babbling about?

I'm talking about what the women of my generation went through and how we fought to make sure our daughters and grand daughters didn't have to endure what we did. You can call that babbling if you want, but I am disappointed in you if you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classicman
Santorum is never N.E.V.E.R. getting elected to anything... EVER. Now stop wasting you breath.

Never, huh? Santorum was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives on behalf of Pennsylvania in 1990. Santorum was then elected as a United States Senator for Pennsylvania in 1994 and served there until 2006. Sure sounds like someone elected him to me - as a matter of fact you folks from PA kept him in office for what - 16 years?

Despite running in the bottom tier of candidates for several months in the current Republican primaries, he won the caucuses in Iowa, Minnesota, Colorado and the Missouri primary, and quickly rose to the top of national polls.

Given the current set of Republican clowns, plus the uncertain state of the economy, Santorum certainly has a chance in the 2012 elections. You are being overly complacent.

piercehawkeye45 02-27-2012 12:18 PM

I disagree. Santorum is running on a social conservative base, not economics. He would get crushed by Obama.

classicman 02-27-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

I'm talking about what the women of my generation went through and how
we fought to make sure our daughters and grand daughters didn't have to endure what we did
Noble, to be sure. not disputing that at all. Calm down.
"The guy is a whacked out nutjob." "he's a hypocrite."""crazy-ass"

Quote:

Santorum was elected to the House in 1990. Then Senator 1994 and served there until 2006.
Sure sounds like someone elected him to me.
Very different situation then. I'm from PA and this is not what he ran on AT ALL 20 years ago.
Quote:

Given the current set of Republican clowns, plus the uncertain state of the economy,
Santorum certainly has a chance in the 2012 elections. You are being overly complacent.
No he does not. No I am not, I am being realistic. You are buying into some insane fear mongering.
The BEST thing for those who want Obama to win would be for Sanitorium to get the nomination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 (Post 797993)
I disagree. Santorum is running on a social conservative base, not economics.
He would get crushed by Obama.

Thanks, agreed. Z.E.R.O chance.
Santorum is NEVER EVER going to get elected. N.E.V.E.R.

regular.joe 02-27-2012 01:45 PM

I'm beginning to think that if we want President Obama to be re-elected a republican should be nominated to oppose him. It really doesn't matter which one.

Pico and ME 02-27-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 797919)
WTF are you babbling about?....
Now stop wasting you breath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 797922)
I didn't even read past the first line or two.
Her rant...
Again since YOU appear rather slow on what I said. Try to focus this time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 798006)
... Calm down.

Stop being such a condescending asshole. She borrowed your 'beating a dead horse' as a bullet point to expand upon the dangers of Santorum, which she expressed very eloquently.

classicman 02-27-2012 01:59 PM

Again since YOU appear rather slow on what I said. Try to focus (really hard) this time...
The dead horse was between Lamp and I. It had NOTHING to do with her, nor you.
Yet the reality remains . . .
Santorum is NEVER EVER going to get elected to ANYTHING.

Pico and ME 02-27-2012 02:01 PM

OK, so you were and still are just practicing being a jerk.