The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   good music on youtube (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13372)

infinite monkey 11-03-2014 12:50 AM

I think Brenda Russell's version of the song she wrote herself, is better than the more popular Oleta Adams version.

DanaC 12-11-2014 03:23 AM

My new favourites: The Sleaford Mods

nsfw

Jobseeker

The Wage Don't Fit:

Couple more (Routine Dean and another one)

Undertoad 12-11-2014 05:42 PM

VULFPECK

I love everything about this band. The bass player is just astounding.

Most of this video is showing the song being recorded in one take, which seems to be how they generally operate, lay down a whole song and then add 10% of other tidbits later. This is in a studioish setting but other songs are recorded in a living room. You can't really tell because it's so very well done.

lumberjim 12-11-2014 07:20 PM

THAT guy dances like Godzirra!

I have to subtract 5 points for using the Clap sound on the keyboard. Even though it's a Geico commercial sound.... there's never an acceptable use of that sound. it's one step up from dog barking.

but yeah... that bassist is feelin it. he's got the pigeon head stationary strut down pretty well too.

lumberjim 12-11-2014 07:38 PM

this is a good one

They've certainly got a sound. can't see always being in the mood for it, but no denying they're tight.

~~put on a cool 70's groove. a funky tune to F*@$ to.~~

Griff 12-11-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 916179)
this is a good one

They've certainly got a sound. can't see always being in the mood for it, but no denying they're tight.

~~put on a cool 70's groove. a funky tune to F*@$ to.~~

That was damn fun!

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 916177)
I have to subtract 5 points for using the Clap sound on the keyboard.

Thank you, I was wondering what the hell that noise was. :rollanim:

Gravdigr 12-14-2014 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 916179)
this is a good one

Those guys are painfully white.

Griff 12-14-2014 09:28 AM

If you respect the music amplitude of whiteness becomes irrelevant.

Undertoad 12-14-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 916379)
Those guys are painfully white.

If you ever had a clue about funk you lost it somewhere and I am just letting you know.

Undertoad 12-15-2014 08:14 AM

Hey Ali said we're supposed to be more interesting and that means we're supposed to fight. Get to it

xoxoxoBruce 12-15-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

This message has been deleted by Gravdigr. Reason: No point in pissing toff the guy who owns the place. Again.
Chicken bwak bwak, get in there and make this place interesting. :p:

lumberjim 12-15-2014 09:59 PM

Quit picking on him. He's sensitive.

xoxoxoBruce 12-16-2014 03:38 PM

Le flashmob des Prodiges

Undertoad 12-22-2014 08:04 PM

Two months ago McCartney released a different version of "Letting Go" from 1975 and... I love the song now. This must have been an early mix. The final mix that made it onto the "Venus and Mars" album had horns and a loud production with Macca at full voice. This version is unproduced and Macca sounds vulnerable and real.

UT's High-Falutin' Deeper Analysis Section: I really like the organ chord that makes the transition to the second line. It goes:

Am
Ah, she tastes like wine

Dsus4 . . . . . . . . . D
Such a human being so divine

This Dsus4 chord is the kind of thing that Paul is a master of. The ordinary songwriter just goes "D!", and in fact, fuckin' Heart just goes D in their cover of the song for The Art of McCartney. Paul always asks whether a more complicated chord will result in something more subtle and interesting.

Why, it took people getting access to the master tapes to decode the opening chord of "Hard Day's Night"...

Also, at 2:58 he changes key up three half steps, from Am to Cm. And while other similar up-modulations seem like hokey songwriting tricks, I really dig this one.