The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sell by (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26114)

HungLikeJesus 10-17-2011 07:33 PM

Sell by

We have some ground beef in the refrigerator with a sell-by date of September 27 (about 3 weeks ago).

I think it smells OK.

Would you eat it?

If so, PM me your address.

Aliantha 10-17-2011 07:37 PM

lol...You know, it depends what temp you keep your fridge at, and also how you're intending to cook the beef. For starters, if it's cold enough in your fridge, it'll extend the sell by date and also, if you're going to thoroughly cook it and it smells fine, it probably is fine.

That's my very unexpert, home makers point of view.

HungLikeJesus 10-17-2011 07:40 PM

According to my wife, it's cold enough in the house that it wouldn't even need to be in the refrigerator. I think I'll make some spaghetti with it.

Thanks Ali.

Aliantha 10-17-2011 07:43 PM

Cool. If we don't see you for a while, we'll send flowers, or would you prefer a donation to your favourite charity? ;)

HungLikeJesus 10-17-2011 07:50 PM

If I'm not back by tomorrow, please put a pound of fresh meat in the tip jar.

infinite monkey 10-18-2011 07:46 AM

I wouldn't eat it. Maybe a week after 'sell-by' but then I'd get worried.

Which reminds me...I wonder what the 'sell-by' date is on that package of ground chuck (sorry chuck, you're just so tasty) in my fridge. I keep forgetting to put it in the trash (I leave it in the fridge until I'm ready to take a load to the dumpster...otherwise it either smells or if I put it outside the raccoons tear into the trash.)

monster 10-18-2011 08:03 AM

RIP HLJ. I've pounded my meat into the jar in your memory. what?

No I wouldn't eat it either and I'm not usually fussy about sell by dates, but three weeks is a long time for something that's ground and you don't know what else night have gotten into it during the grinding process....... Meat is supposed to get nicer and tenderer when properly aged, but I don't think grinding it and then leaving it in the fridge counts as "properly".

Sundae 10-18-2011 09:35 AM

What she said.
If it was in your freezer then have away, but not the fridge.

DanaC 10-18-2011 10:04 AM

Man, I wouldn't touch that with yours.

classicman 10-18-2011 11:01 AM

If it was in the freezer for most of that time, absolutely. If it was in the fridge - no way.

Clodfobble 10-18-2011 12:26 PM

On the one hand, if it smells good and has not gone off-color in the slightest, it is as reasonably microbe-free as any other meat from your butcher's counter and can be cooked and eaten with no greater risk.

On the other hand, the only reason modern meat does this is because it's been washed in ammonia to make it extra sterile. The kind of meat you should be eating also would have gone quite obviously bad by now.

Pick your poison.

skysidhe 10-18-2011 12:34 PM

Ammonia. No wonder I can't stand store bought beef.

For some reason, I can tolerate a big mac. It must be all of that special sauce.

Undertoad 10-18-2011 01:07 PM

Buy only ground beef that's been ground by the store (if it has an operating butchery department, it does), and use it within two days.

Fully cooking meat that has gone off does not protect you. Cooking kills the bacteria that may be bad for you; but if the bacteria has had time to get going already, its by-products are a worse poison, not destroyed by cooking.

HungLikeJesus 10-18-2011 01:08 PM

I'm not dead.

I feel fine.

I think I'll go for a walk.

classicman 10-18-2011 01:30 PM

bring your cell just in case.