The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad prosperous, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32497)

footfootfoot 01-26-2017 01:20 PM

What might be making you a tad prosperous, but might not, as it's too soon to tell

I may have alluded to a friend of mine who recently returned from the west coast and is starting up a new company to make specialized testing instruments. I might have mis-explained this as him having a CNC machine as that was my understanding when I first spoke with him.

Turns out it's really a different kettle of fish.

I will explain more after I pick up the kids from school.

Clodfobble 01-26-2017 02:59 PM

Preach the prosperity gospel, brother! Tell us what you got!

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2017 03:42 PM

OK, so he's on the design and/or IT end, rather than the hardware/production end. That's cool, couldn't build a decent boat with it anyway.

footfootfoot 01-26-2017 06:17 PM

So we design testing equipment, as an example, a certain kind of circuit board that sells for around a grand. That's the small stuff, it goes up to million dollar machines,

I'm coming in at the ground floor, along with the two founders . I'm doing the graphic design, interfacing with subcontractors/ fabricators, and technical writing. I'm also getting a crash course in electronics and how to use some of the crazy software that we use.

Would involve travel to exotic locations and CA.

Right now the pay is tiny but equitably distributed, legal docs are in the works for me to join the company. We have work to tide us over while they hunt for investors. Our product is ground breaking.

If things go more or less according to plans, this could be lucrative, if not, I'm only out some hopes and time.

Clodfobble 01-26-2017 07:00 PM

Cool!

glatt 01-26-2017 07:17 PM

Foot, that sounds exciting!

monster 01-26-2017 07:40 PM

yayyayyay! good luck!

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2017 09:32 PM

Oh great, then you'll be rich and famous looking down on we peons like we're obstacles to your paradise. Well just remember, we knew you when you would eat pussy for a cup of coffee. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

I think you've got the chops for that kind of job. Smart, innovative, skilled in what can be done cheap and easy but won't work or be reliable, which will keep you partners out of trouble. Also when the design is getting overcomplicated, which will keep them profitable. You probably have trepidations going into this but believe me, you're what they need to keep their feet on the ground. Anything you don't understand, don't fake it. Make them explain until you understand and they have to explain it in terms simple enough they can see the flaws in their thinking.

Seeing how you're going to be a rich & famous business magnate, fuck you, I ain't paying for the pipe... I mean incense burner. ;)

classicman 01-26-2017 09:52 PM

Sounds exciting!

BigV 01-26-2017 10:24 PM

I love coffee!!

BigV 01-26-2017 10:25 PM

Also,

Well done footfootfoot!

Prosperous is good, I'm stoked!!!!

limey 01-27-2017 02:46 AM

Yay! Couldn't happen to a nicer Feetz!

Sent by thought transference

fargon 01-27-2017 06:14 AM

Yay! Good for you.

Griff 01-27-2017 08:23 AM

Excellent news!

footfootfoot 01-27-2017 09:36 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm keeping my fingers crossed and feet on the ground, shoulder to the wheel and nose to the grindstone, etc.

These guys are great, they love to share information and knowledge and have the no question is a dumb question philosophy. Knowing both parents of one of them, I know where this kid gets his smarts, both of his parents (my friends) are very, very intelligent as well as out of the box thinkers. Great folks.

The other day I got a tutorial in diodes, resistors, rectifiers, and tubes - it was in the middle of learning some circuit designing software. We're all a bit ADD so no one minds when topics and discussions jump all over the place, In the end we circle back and stay on task.

I'm now reading a US Navy training manual in basic electricity, a great 'Let's take it from the top' refresher. I love the way the book is written, I have to say, some of the clearest and best technical writing I've ever read. It makes learning a breeze.

And even when I'm rich and famous I won't see you peons as obstacles to my paradise, I'll see you as stepping stones that I can walk all over on my way to paradise. Is that better?

And Bruce, you've paid for your incense burner many times over.