The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   More Wacky Japanese Stuff (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15709)

ZenGum 10-20-2007 11:33 AM

More Wacky Japanese Stuff

1 Attachment(s)
I think the picture should go first and the story second. I can't figure out how to do that with a single post (any help?) so here it is in two posts:

ZenGum 10-20-2007 11:35 AM

This from the New York Times, at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/wo...87a&ei=5087%0A

Quote:

Deftly, Ms. Tsukioka, a 29-year-old experimental fashion designer, lifted a flap on her skirt to reveal a large sheet of cloth printed in bright red with a soft drink logo partly visible. By holding the sheet open and stepping to the side of the road, she showed how a woman walking alone could elude pursuers — by disguising herself as a vending machine.

The wearer hides behind the sheet, printed with an actual-size photo of a vending machine. Ms. Tsukioka’s clothing is still in development, but she already has several versions, including one that unfolds from a kimono and a deluxe model with four sides for more complete camouflaging.

Some facts:
There are around 5,000,000 vending machines in Japan.
The incidence of violent crime is one seventh the rate in the United States.
The rate of violent crime is falling.
And my favorite:
Quote:

... she has sold about 20 vending-machine skirts for about $800 each...
Does anyone believe for a second that this might actually work, and not leave you standing there looking like a complete twit when the stalker rips open the fabric?

lumberjim 10-20-2007 11:42 AM

The worst part would be lugging all the bottles of soda around with you all day.

SteveDallas 10-20-2007 11:49 AM

Not really, I'm sure the sales were made for the novelty value.

I wonder if she's planning to make one that impersonates the vending machine full of panties?

lumberjim 10-20-2007 11:49 AM

MXC

ZenGum 10-20-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 397452)
The worst part would be lugging all the bottles of soda around with you all day.

And the ice to keep them cool.
And the change.

DanaC 10-20-2007 12:25 PM

I think actually the worst part would be dispensing the bottles....

lumberjim 10-20-2007 12:28 PM

oh, the swirling milieu of visualizations i got from those last two posts. I think I have a pube stuck in my virtual teeth

DanaC 10-20-2007 01:09 PM

Maybe you need to swill your mouth...I think I have a couple of coke bottles somewhere.

xoxoxoBruce 10-20-2007 08:07 PM

Just as she conceals herself, her pursuer arrives.

Looking around... pant pant, "Damn!", sweat sweat, "I've lost her", gasp gasp, "I need a Coke", sweat sweat.

ZenGum 10-21-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 397551)
Just as she conceals herself, her pursuer arrives.

Looking around... pant pant, "Damn!", sweat sweat, "I've lost her", gasp gasp, "I need a Coke", sweat sweat.

I wonder if you knew that one of the top selling sports drinks is called Pocari Sweat...

I sometimes wonder what a pocari is, and why they are so sweaty.

ZenGum 10-21-2007 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Meanwhile, the next installment of wacky Japanese junk is ... heart shaped bubble wrap!
(See picture)

But it doesn't end there. Popping the stuff is so much fun you can buy ...
Quote:

... Pucchin Sukatto, a 10 x 10-cm bubble-wrap sheet developed purely for popping purposes. Pucchin is the description in Japanese of the sound made when you pop bubble wrap, and sukatto means to feel refreshed.

To make users feel the latter, the bubble-wrap sheets are made of special polyethylene that creates a sharper sound than your standard bubble wrap when the bubbles are burst.
Worried about the environment? take heart:

Quote:

... toy maker Bandai put a key chain called Mugen Putiputi (meaning Unlimited Putiputi) on the market ..... Dangling off the key chain are eight bubbles made with a special plastic material that users can pop as many times as they wish — after being popped, they inflate, ready to go again.
But there is a serious side to all this:

Quote:

"Putiputi sleeping bags are therefore very convenient when you have to stay in the office at night," Sugiyma explains. "Also, these sleeping bags can be emergency items, such as when we have earthquakes. In fact, we sent 300 bubble-wrap sleeping bags to Niigata Prefecture in 2003 when the area was struck by a big earthquake."

Sundae 10-21-2007 12:35 PM

Heart shaped bubble wrap and square melons - I love the Japanese.

xoxoxoBruce 10-21-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 397679)
I wonder if you knew that one of the top selling sports drinks is called Pocari Sweat...

I sometimes wonder what a pocari is, and why they are so sweaty.

Maybe pocari means replacement.

ZenGum 10-22-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 397747)
Maybe pocari means replacement.

I've checked three dictionaries, and none show pocari. In fact you can't even write that in Japanese script - there is no "ca" syllable (use "ka" instead).
Mind you, "poka poka suru" means to feel warm, or be warm... hmmmm warm sweat .... yummy yummy yummy. :vomit: