The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Moving house (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33961)

limey 12-19-2018 02:40 PM

Moving house

So I’m moving from one unusual location to an even more unusual location which will involve transshipment of all of our chattels onto and off a 17 foot passenger ferry and via wheelbarrow to our new address. This will happen in February. It does make you look at the contents of your house with a different eye, I can tell you. We’ve been having a bit of a clear out for some time now.
Over the summer we had a mahoosive sheet music clear-out which has been very beneficial.
Mr Limey was very ruthless with the vinyl and has kept a small boxful of precious records. The others went as a job lot to a local guy who has since said what a great and comprehensive (“classical music”) collection it is, a little short on opera and late 20th/21st century music is all. Nice to know it’s all gone to an appreciative new home.
I’m trying to be as tough with the books and it is hard! I’ve found a local Russian who may well want my shelf-and-a-half of Russian language classics. And a local (online) bookseller who will want the books of local interest and some of the Art books I hope ....
Today by chance I found a home for the harmonium locally, and secured the “retirement” home for our pet snake.
There are other furniture items which are posing a problem. I’ll keep you posted as I find solutions [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glatt 12-19-2018 04:29 PM

Good luck. We sure do accumulate stuff don't we?

I threw away three rolls of chicken wire fencing a couple weeks ago. Somebody took them from the curb.

Undertoad 12-19-2018 05:28 PM

Stuff is overrated.

xoxoxoBruce 12-19-2018 09:27 PM

I'm trying to clean out shit also, Goodwill will take most anything. I'm trying to find people who will use and appreciate the tools and machinery. I've found homes for one of the compressors, and one drill press, plus the surface planer, but you wouldn't notice it being less crowded.

Wood I can always cut up and burn, but things like a 2 channel oscilloscope, arc & gas welding equipment, granite surface plate, or glass furnace, just ain't fireplace fodder. :haha:

Clodfobble 12-19-2018 10:29 PM

Craigslist can be a bit of a hassle, but the nice thing is the people come to you, no delivery necessary.

monster 12-19-2018 10:43 PM

I know someone looking for a welding equipment.....

xoxoxoBruce 12-19-2018 11:11 PM

Craigslist is OK for just getting rid of stuff to strangers but that's not difficult.
Welding equipment costs a fortune to ship as it's heavy by nature.

glatt 12-20-2018 09:30 AM

If I had the space, I would come begging to you, Bruce. But you have seen pictures of my shop, and it's even more cluttered now.

Gravdigr 12-20-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1021391)
Craigslist can be a bit of a hassle, but the nice thing is the people come to you, no delivery necessary.

Yeah, no, ain't nobody from CL coming to MY house...:headshake

Meet at Wal-Mart.

Gravdigr 12-20-2018 12:08 PM

Or the poelees station parking lot.

Gravdigr 12-20-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1021387)
like a 2 channel oscilloscope

I always wanted one of those, but never had a use for one.

I guess one could use it for a guitar-ya-built-yaself tuner! Maybe?

Gravdigr 12-20-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

granite surface plate
Like from a surface grinder, or an instrument base?

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2018 11:49 PM

Instrument base, not big but heavy as shit.

Griff 12-21-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1021387)
I'm trying to clean out shit also, Goodwill will take most anything. I'm trying to find people who will use and appreciate the tools and machinery. I've found homes for one of the compressors, and one drill press, plus the surface planer, but you wouldn't notice it being less crowded.

Wood I can always cut up and burn, but things like a 2 channel oscilloscope, arc & gas welding equipment, granite surface plate, or glass furnace, just ain't fireplace fodder. :haha:

Wait a minute, who the hell has a glass furnace in their shop? :)

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2018 12:52 PM

We do...