The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

glatt 09-08-2009 08:15 AM

Watched Galaxy Quest last night. I had somehow missed it when it came out ten years ago. Netflix said we would like it a lot. We did like it. Wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for it in the theater, but there were several parts that were laugh out loud funny. The plot was a neat idea too. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys science fiction and doesn't take themselves or their SF too seriously.

capnhowdy 09-08-2009 08:05 PM

I love me some netflix....

wolf 09-09-2009 08:35 AM

Velvet Goldmine
Recommended by a cow orker, who despite working with me for three years, doesn't have a good sense of "what I'll really like." I rated it a 3/5, although I was probably being charitable because Christian Bale is in it.

National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets
Both cool and funny.

Elspode 09-11-2009 04:51 PM

Can we talk about movies we download ourselves and then burn to DVD? If so, then I recently watched the schmaltz Brit scifi classic "The Day of the Triffids". Pure adolescent memory bliss.

DanaC 09-11-2009 04:53 PM

Oh I loved that!

dar512 09-11-2009 04:58 PM

I saw it at the theatre when it first came out. Part of it, at least. My big brother got scared and we had to leave about half way through.

Maybe I should see the end of it now.

glatt 09-13-2009 09:12 PM

Revolutionary Road. What a depressing movie.

bluecuracao 09-13-2009 11:09 PM

Slumdog Millionaire was pretty amazing.

Rachel Getting Married was an excellent surprise. It really wasn't about Anne Hathaway, thank goodness. One of the characters said at one point that "This is heaven on earth," or something like that; and really, many of the scenarios depicted would have been my idea of heaven on earth.

dar512 09-14-2009 10:30 AM

I picked up three movies from the library last week. I was kind of in a hurry and picked the first three that were acceptable fodder:

Emma
The Exorcist
Footloose

I was in the E-F section. :) I had seen them all, but not for some time.

I made a bet with myself that darlet #2 would like them all and I was correct.

wolf 10-10-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 594200)
Can we talk about movies we download ourselves and then burn to DVD? If so, then I recently watched the schmaltz Brit scifi classic "The Day of the Triffids". Pure adolescent memory bliss.

Don't see why not ... I occasionally list movies I've watched on cable.

Try this version of Day of the Triffids if you can find a copy. It's very different from the 50s version. Actually was quite well done, IIRC.

Tonight, I made a dreadful mistake.

Dreadful in that I'm dealing with a lot with momwolf lately ...

I mean, I should have known better. There are only a few ways for such a movie to end, and it's usually badly. I had a couple of anticipatory sniffles at about an hour-twenty minutes, and then spent the last 15 minutes bawling and sniffling.

I watched Marley & Me.

Heartwarming and heartwrenching at the same time.

Oh crap. I'm starting all over again, just thinking about it.

Shawnee123 10-11-2009 10:23 AM

The book had me sobbing, heart-wrenching sobs. I haven't mustered the courage to watch the movie yet. :)

I joined netflix. I wanted to get back into movie buff mode.

I saw Juno. That Ellen Page really is great. I love all the characters, except the adoptive parents.

The Changeling. I fell asleep halfway through so I don't know what happened.

Junebug. Pretty good.

glatt 10-11-2009 03:56 PM

I love Netflix. It recommended Outsourced for us, and we watched it last night. About halfway through, my wife commented that it was just like Local Hero in India, and she was absolutely correct. Except no Mark Knopfler soundtrack. Outsourced is a good movie you have never heard of.

capnhowdy 10-11-2009 05:26 PM

Year One with Jack Black. Damn funny flick.

Shawnee123 10-11-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 600416)
I love Netflix. It recommended Outsourced for us, and we watched it last night. About halfway through, my wife commented that it was just like Local Hero in India, and she was absolutely correct. Except no Mark Knopfler soundtrack. Outsourced is a good movie you have never heard of.

That is what is great about netflix, you find movies you think you might enjoy that you otherwise would not have heard of. I'm just starting, but I'm looking forward to further suggestions based on my previous rentals.

Beest 10-19-2009 09:03 PM

Traitor great movie, involves muslim Arab terrorists but not 2 dimensional cliches, gripping thriller.

I thought Watchmen was awesome, but I've been a fan of the graphic novel since college.

Slaughter House five turns pretty odd.

Wanted just gets dumber.