The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31061)

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2015 02:14 PM

Drones

1 Attachment(s)
It's out of hand and getting worse. :(

Quote:

Shortly before the fast-moving blaze jumped the freeway and the cars caught fire, officials had to halt water drops because of a recreational drone flying nearby. It was the third time in recent weeks that firefighters were grounded because of drones. The devices could collide with aircraft that fly at low altitudes, authorities say.

Gravdigr 07-18-2015 03:09 PM

I've seen video of chopper blades in tight spots take out a fair-sized tree limb without so much as a blink, and keep on choppering, I have a hard time believing your average drone would bother one.

Now, if you hit one in a plane, going, say, 300+mph...

...you're gonna have a bad time.

it 07-19-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 933978)
I've seen video of chopper blades in tight spots take out a fair-sized tree limb without so much as a blink, and keep on choppering, I have a hard time believing your average drone would bother one.

Now, if you hit one in a plane, going, say, 300+mph...

...you're gonna have a bad time.

Yea but you know how these things are - regulations are more likely to be sparked by the chopper's insurance policy then by what's possible.

We need a system to create no fly zones on the fly...

Which shouldn't be that difficult, the current drone boom is still young and the industry is in the stage of increasing the size of the pie more then competing for the size of their slice. If we want any kind of standardization, This is probably the best time to do it, and it could help ease the minds and gain some points with the FAA, which could be useful for the drone industry in the long term.

xoxoxoBruce 07-22-2015 02:43 PM

Everything you wanted to know about drones and were too afraid on the NSA to ask.

tw 07-23-2015 11:56 AM

The need could not be more obvious. Licensing (for the same reason automobiles and drivers are licensed) is desperately needed.

it 07-24-2015 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 934355)
The need could not be more obvious. Licensing (for the same reason automobiles and drivers are licensed) is desperately needed.

Except that drones already have the problems driver licencing is going to be facing: Handling the fact a lot of the time your driver is a software.

So I think maybe going the opposite route is better:
Software standards.

They can include automatically taking away control within certain situations - regulations are a lot easier to code then to teach and certify for. For instance if a no-fly zone is placed because an emergency helicopter has to go through (standard signal), it could require to leave the area automatically if the pilot themselves don't leave it within a certain warning time.
It could even include things such as restricted no fly boxes around roads organized by certain height that would function as berriers for both human piloted and software piloted drones.
And for strictly software piloted, it could be used for giving commercial drones designated air routes windows the same way we do for for airplanes and satellite orbits, which would mean a pizza delivery drone doesn't risk collision with a fire safety inspection drone.
Perhaps most importantly, it could require a certain mean of identification. Because when it comes to criminal activities drones can take part of, from invasion to privacy to actual violence (explosives in a pizza box?), you kind of want that.
It can also be used for... *Ring* sec, I have a call. "Who is this? Oh, the Oceania BB offices? You are interested in my ideas? Why thank you... I will be on my way to your offices in Airstrip One immediately".

glatt 07-24-2015 07:48 AM

I got a drone for Christmas. It's technically a drone because it flies and is remote controlled and has a camera. But I consider it a toy because the transmitter only reaches 100 feet. Once it's out of range, it lands, (often in a tree.)

I'm not sure what regulations apply to me, but I think all the drone regulations do. And I read some FAA rule about proximity to airports, and I'm just within the 5 mile no-fly zone of my local airport. I understand the reasoning for that rule, but it's kind of ridiculous that it's against the law for me to walk down the street to the softball field and fly this thing around at a 50 foot elevation, but I can get a super long string and fly a kite at hundreds of feet from the same field and nobody will blink an eye.

Not sure what the point of my post is, other than to point out all the confusion about the rules and how some of them are ridiculous. If you make ridiculous rules, people will get used to ignoring the rules, and they may ignore rules that aren't so ridiculous.

lumberjim 07-24-2015 09:14 AM

Lamplighter 07-24-2015 11:21 AM

Yeah, won't it be fun when 500 fans in a football stadium
each launch their personal micro's and fly into the huddle, etc., etc.,
... the potentials are enormous.

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2015 12:48 PM

Try this glatt.

Griff 07-25-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 934456)
Yeah, won't it be fun when 500 fans in a football stadium
each launch their personal micro's and fly into the huddle, etc., etc.,
... the potentials are enormous.

They'll all get Christmas cards from Bill Belachek though.

xoxoxoBruce 07-26-2015 08:34 PM

Gravdigr 07-27-2015 03:28 PM

This video is titled "Firefighters shoot douchebag's interfering drone out of the air", when what it should say is "Douchebag firefighters shoot douchebag's not quite interfering drone out of the air".

I mean, it's not even close to interfering with those firefighters, unless those firefighters are doing something they don't want caught on video.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily want someone videoing my burning house. It's a little insensitive, at best. But I could see a usefulness in documenting the work of the firefighters, or the progression of the fire itself, or the condition of parts of the house immediately prior to destruction by fire, and for legal/insurance purposes.

But, to stop fighting the fire, to knock a NON-interfering drone, that looks to be 75-100 feet away, out of the air only raises my suspicions as to what they didn't want caught on video.

glatt 07-27-2015 03:35 PM

power corrupts.

Firefighters have power at the scene of a fire. They saw the drone and decided they had the power to take it out, so they did.

xoxoxoBruce 07-27-2015 03:59 PM

The problem is... One of the problems is with new high tech toys, the early adopters are often type A personalities who go gung ho with little regard to whether they annoy others. Since in this case we often don't know who the perp operator is, this builds resentment against the toys, and everyone who uses them.

However, if you buzz me, regardless of federal law, I'll blow that motherfucker to hell. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif